Costa Cruise advice for a solo?

Sansouci

:confused: I'm considering adding a Costa Mediterranean cruise on the Magica to a land trip to Barcelona next spring. Wondering if any of you've ever cruised solo on Costa? Any advice on negotiating a single supplement on this cruise line, or on choosing a cabin as a solo? I've already been told that they're more willing to negotiate with solos on their Caribbean cruises than the Mediterranean ones. Have also been following the Costa Cruises threads in the Cruise Line forums and it seems as though this line has decidedly more of a European flavor. Would appreciate anything you'd care to share about your experiences this cruise line. The Norwegian Gem is also an alternative for me, but I like the Magica's itinerary better.

There's no way to negotiate the single supplement---it is what it is, unfortunately. Get the best cabin you can afford is the best advice I can give you. Cabin choice is really a personal issue so no one can really tell you what to do. As for Costa, it's not anywhere near my favorite line. Since it does attract many Europeans, it's VERY smokey everywhere, which I don't care for. I also felt the food to be very substandard, with a huge emphasis on Italian---hope you LOVE pasta. I felt their breakfasts and lunches were very weak---sorry, but I don't like powdered eggs in the morning and that's all they had on my cruise. But, since Costa is still in business, they do have a following, but it's just not MY cup of tea, so to speak.

As for Costa, it's not anywhere near my favorite line. Since it does attract many Europeans, it's VERY smokey everywhere, which I don't care for. I also felt the food to be very substandard, with a huge emphasis on Italian---hope you LOVE pasta. I felt their breakfasts and lunches were very weak---sorry, but I don't like powdered eggs in the morning and that's all they had on my cruise. But, since Costa is still in business, they do have a following, but it's just not MY cup of tea, so to speak.

I LOVE pasta but rarely eat it because, unfortunately, it does not LOVE me. LOL! I would choose this particular cruise because of its interesting itinerary (Tunisia is in the mix). Since they are all port days with no sea days, most likely I'd be off the ship at lunch time on shore excursions. Smoke, however, would be an issue. Ewww! Could you comment on your experiences at dinner and on your experiences with other passengers? TIA!

--Deb in Orlando

Lots of foreigners who didn't speak English, so that was a problem. I had two Germans and two Italians at the table so that didn't mix well. Since it's such a port intensive cruise, the ambience of the ship probably doesn't matter, so unless you can find an itinerary with similar stops you desire, go with Costa. But, to be honest, Tunisia isn't all that, IMHO and I would not go off on my own in that area, so stick with a ship's tour and don't go off on your own in that country---it isn't all that safe for a single woman being alone.

Lots of foreigners who didn't speak English, so that was a problem. I had two Germans and two Italians at the table so that didn't mix well. Since it's such a port intensive cruise, the ambience of the ship probably doesn't matter, so unless you can find an itinerary with similar stops you desire, go with Costa. But, to be honest, Tunisia isn't all that, IMHO and I would not go off on my own in that area, so stick with a ship's tour and don't go off on your own in that country---it isn't all that safe for a single woman being alone.

Hmmmmm. This is food for thought. Since this one is still a ways out, I'm going to take some time to re-evaluate and examine all my options. Thanks for your advice!

Archived