College Football On The Crown

sandyoftheseas

Quick question. Do the in-room TVs on the Crown broadcast the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) live? We will be sailing on 09/15/07 out of NYC. The Michigan-Notre Dame game starts at 3:30 that day and will be televised on ABC. If I can't get the game on the in-room TV, is there at least a chance that it will be playing in one of the lounges? I am considering bringing a radio in case it is not available on TV but I'm not sure if that will do any good. I'm not sure how far out to sea we can be before the signal would be lost. Also, do they even broadcast (on TV or radio) games between two midwestern schools on the east coast?

Any info will be appreciated.

Rob (posting under wife's screen name)

Quick question. Do the in-room TVs on the Crown broadcast the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) live? We will be sailing on 09/15/07 out of NYC. The Michigan-Notre Dame game starts at 3:30 that day and will be televised on ABC. If I can't get the game on the in-room TV, is there at least a chance that it will be playing in one of the lounges? I am considering bringing a radio in case it is not available on TV but I'm not sure if that will do any good. I'm not sure how far out to sea we can be before the signal would be lost. Also, do they even broadcast (on TV or radio) games between two midwestern schools on the east coast?

Any info will be appreciated.

Rob (posting under wife's screen name)

We're just off the Caribbean Princess...and they do not broadcast any of the major networks nor do the lounges. They do have an ESPN channel so I'm sure you could get updates on the score.

My prediction though would be Michigan 6 - ND 21! GO IRISH!!!!:p

Last year on the star they had an ESPN feed of the Michigan - Ohio State game on in the Explorer's Lounge as well as in the TVs in the cabins.

It was kind of weird - it was a "raw" feed, so when it broke to Chris Fowler in the studio for a gamebreak you never saw that, but instead remained at the game. You could hear the announcers talking to the production people in the truck, setting up the replay shots and that kind of stuff.

It was interesting, but different. But if you're dead set on seeing the game, they at least provided that.

Good Luck!

Thanks all for the responses so far. I'm still a bit concerned. If ABC owns the rights to the game, I don't think there is much chance of ESPN showing even a "raw" feed. I have a feeling that ESPN had the rights to the UM-OSU game last year and that's how the ship was able to pull in the feed.

I had heard that they will often show special sporting events (e.g. Super Bowl, PGA Championship, Wimbledon, etc.) on the MUTS screen. But I doubt if they would consider this a "special event" since it is just one of many college football games that Saturday.

I guess if worse comes to worse, I will have to sit in one of the lounges and watch the crawl at the bottom of the screen on ESPN. At least I can keep tabs on the score that way.

Anyone have any insight on whether or not this will be broadcast on any of the east coast radio stations??

P.S. No matter how I find out the score, I will have a beer and think of all the tears you Irish fans are shedding when Michigan destroys you again just like we did last year!! Brady who???

Thanks all for the responses so far. I'm still a bit concerned. If ABC owns the rights to the game, I don't think there is much chance of ESPN showing even a "raw" feed. I have a feeling that ESPN had the rights to the UM-OSU game last year and that's how the ship was able to pull in the feed.

I had heard that they will often show special sporting events (e.g. Super Bowl, PGA Championship, Wimbledon, etc.) on the MUTS screen. But I doubt if they would consider this a "special event" since it is just one of many college football games that Saturday.

I guess if worse comes to worse, I will have to sit in one of the lounges and watch the crawl at the bottom of the screen on ESPN. At least I can keep tabs on the score that way.

Anyone have any insight on whether or not this will be broadcast on any of the east coast radio stations??

P.S. No matter how I find out the score, I will have a beer and think of all the tears you Irish fans are shedding when Michigan destroys you again just like we did last year!! Brady who???

Ouch...that hurt:( Let's not get nasty now! :mad:

I know it's all in good fun, RIGHT????

Notre Dame games are broadcast every week on Westwood One - Notre Dame Radio, right out of NY. You can find it on AM 660 WFAN.

Not so sure I should have offered that info after that nasty turn of the knife!

Have a great cruise anyway.

If ABC owns the rights to the game, I don't think there is much chance of ESPN showing even a "raw" feed. I have a feeling that ESPN had the rights to the UM-OSU game last year and that's how the ship was able to pull in the feed.

Nope - ABC is the parent company of ESPN - the game was shown nationally on ABC last year and we got the ESPN feed on the ship.

We have sailed many times on Princess ships. There is no guarantee that your favorite game will be shown. Be prepared not to see the game. You may get lucky. Tape it so that you can watch the highlights. My husband is a Michigan grad and has found that they play much better when he doesn't watch!:)

timsbabe-

OK..OK. I think I might have overreacted a bit to the "GO IRISH" cheers at the end of a couple of the responses. I must apologize for my tone but to a Wolverine, that is like a dagger to the heart.:( It really was meant in good fun.

And, thanks for the tip on the radio station. I'll bring a radio. That way if I can't watch the game, at least I can listen to it.

augie-

I didn't realize that ESPN is owned by ABC. I guess there is still some hope on that front.

Desert Cruisers-

I just can't get into watching a sporting event on DVR once I know the score and there is no way I could go all that time without finding out the score. And, hey...if what you say is true, I beg you to keep your DH away from all TVs (and The Big House, for that matter) every Saturday this fall....and especially on New Years Day!

Archived