Theme nights

Iceland

We have just received our tickets for our forthcoming cruise. I have a couple of questions regarding Black & White and 60s and 70s nights.

Is black and white night one of the formal nights?

I presume 60s and 70s would be one of the casual nights. Again what do people wear?

Hi, I also received my tickets 2 days ago, was wondering the same thing - which cruise are you going on? We are on Arcadia, 18th Sept, round the Med.

Yesterday I picked up a bargain in Debenhams for £8, a bright pink and orange top which I will wear as a mini-dress on 60s/70s night! Also got a nice check blouse for Country & Western night! Was wondering if they supply Stetsons on board!!!

From reading other posts I gather the black & white ball is formal.

Polly

We have just received our tickets for our forthcoming cruise. I have a couple of questions regarding Black & White and 60s and 70s nights.

Is black and white night one of the formal nights?

I presume 60s and 70s would be one of the casual nights. Again what do people wear?

Hi Iceland,

Yes black and white night is a formal one, very easy for the men and quite easy for the ladies.

Also 60's and 70's night is a smart casual night and can be a lot of fun. However I find that there are few passengers who get togged up in the gear. The staff do and it usually ends up with a disco party on deck.

On the other hand tropical night is very well supported as you can get a wearing out of your loudest shirts.:eek:

Enjoy your cruise.

:):)Happy cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Black and white night is usually the last formal night I think. Some men wear a white/cream dinner jacket instead of the black one. On our dining table - Arcadia to Med June/July 07 - 3 out of 4 men wore the white jacket, my hubbie wore a black shirt and white bow tie.

Most ladies have a black dress for a formal night so it just menas buying some white accessories, i had a black bag with a white flower on it -, black and white necklace, and a sheer white shawl with my black dress.

Most ladies play along, but there wil always be one or two who wear red or orange:D attention seekers!!

Tropical night is well observed as well, but this year for some silly cost cutting reason they stopped giving out the flower garlands, you used to have one per person on your table to wear, but we didn't get one, nor did others who have been on Arcadia this year. They must cost ....ooh £1 each, so are saving £2k, but they want us to make the effort and wear the gear, at least they could do is lay on the party pieces to make it work on the night. All the waiters wear flowery shirts, and if the weather is good there will be a deck party too.

Sue

Tropical night is well observed as well, but this year for some silly cost cutting reason they stopped giving out the flower garlands, you used to have one per person on your table to wear, but we didn't get one, nor did others who have been on Arcadia this year. They must cost ....ooh £1 each, so are saving £2k, but they want us to make the effort and wear the gear, at least they could do is lay on the party pieces to make it work on the night. All the waiters wear flowery shirts, and if the weather is good there will be a deck party too.

Sue

Sue,

If you consider that it costs them £1 per garland that is indeed £2k for the average cruise. Then multiply that by 5 for the number of ships in the fleet and then again by say 20 for the number of cruises each ship does a year (allowing for some being 7 nights and some being 30 nights) and suddenly you are looking at a bill of £200,000 :eek: for garlands that aren't likely to be recycled!!

Puts a different perspective when they then try and justify a spending of £200,000 to their shareholders at the AGM.

Feebee_71

Or you could put it another way Fi, and say we paid £4k for the cruise - a £1 garland pp wouldn't hurt them. after all they want us to dress for this event - they should provide the party extras, or why should we bother?

Sue:confused:

Thank you all for your replies. It is much as I thought but its interesting to hear what everyone else does. We're on the Oceana on 15th September, so almost time to get the suitcases out.:) DH doesn't have a white/cream DJ, will have to see if he wants to splash out on one or wear his black one for B/W night. I think I'm fixed up for myself. Still thinking about 60/70s night though.

Archived