Tours and Transit of Canal

Bobby Jones

We're booked on the 1-06-09 Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise, Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Which gives me plenty of time to have all my questions answered!

Day 5 of the itinerary we are in Cartagena, then day 6 shows Panama Canal, 7AM-4:30PM. Day 7 shows at sea.

Wouldn't a person miss the canal transit if they were off on an excursion somewhere? There's not time to do both, is there?

We're booked on the 1-06-09 Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise, Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Which gives me plenty of time to have all my questions answered!

Day 5 of the itinerary we are in Cartagena, then day 6 shows Panama Canal, 7AM-4:30PM. Day 7 shows at sea.

Wouldn't a person miss the canal transit if they were off on an excursion somewhere? There's not time to do both, is there?

There is all sorts of posts on this very subject. I will tell you that the ship will enter the Gatun locks; there are 3. Then once you are docked at Gatun Lake tenders will take you over to the shore where you will get whatever excurisons you are on. Then you will be taken the same route to return to the ship. While you are gone on your excursions the ship will turn around and dock at Colon, Panama.

Marilyn

• 1 month later...

Not sure, but the way I read your itinerary, you are doing a complete transit of the Canal without any stops for tours. When I checked with our TA about full transits of the Canal, she said we would not be able to get off the ship (i.e. NO side excursions while transiting the Canal). Looks to me like you don't have any option for getting off the ship between Cartagena and Puntarenas. Check with your TA (or Princess) to be sure.

BUT, I have heard the full transit with the historian/guide they have on board is wonderful.

I’d like to join in here and start by confessing that I’m totally confused. :confused:

We’re on the Island Princess 12/24/08 originating in Ft. Lauderdale and terminating in Acapulco.

I had assumed that the canal transit was a real special thing to experience from the ship itself, but now see that we have multiple excursion opportunities in both Panama City (7-4:30) and Fuerte Amadorm (5-10 PM) – both on day 5 of our 10 day cruise.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

Yes, the canal transit is absolutely fascinating. But some people just prefer to get off the ship and there are some very interesting and worthwhile things to see and do in Panama, so they offer excursions off the ship for those people. If you have never seen the Panama Canal, I highly recommend staying onboard for the full transit. It's amazing.

I’d like to join in here and start by confessing that I’m totally confused. :confused:

We’re on the Island Princess 12/24/08 originating in Ft. Lauderdale and terminating in Acapulco.

I had assumed that the canal transit was a real special thing to experience from the ship itself' date=' but now see that we have multiple excursion opportunities in both Panama City (7-4:30) and Fuerte Amadorm (5-10 PM) – both on day 5 of our 10 day cruise.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry[/quote']

If you have not been through the Canal before I believe experiencing it from the ship is the best. There is some satisfaction in knowing that you have made a complete transit of the Canal. The Canal is scenic as well as there is narration during your transit. I think when you stop in Ft. Amador, there maybe some opportunity to do some short land tours. Panama has a lot to offer but in my opinion the Canal is the "Big" ticket.

Hope you enjoy.......

We did our full transit with Celebrity Infinity, starting from the Pacific and ending at the Atlantic, so our experience was the reverse. However, with a full transit, you'll go through the locks (Gatun Locks since you start in the Atlantic); the ship will then anchor in Gatun Lake to tender passengers who are on excursions to shore. Then, the ship will continue through the Canal for the full transit. At the Pacific end, the ship will dock to pick up those pax who went on excursions.

As others have said, if this is a first transit, I'd recommend staying aboard. I found the whole thing to be fascinating. That said, what you decide to do depends on your level of interest in the Canal and its workings.

Archived