"free" Shuttle Or Not From Boston Pier To Quincy Market?

Maraprince

Terput,

Again, it's all a matter of personal opinion as to whether something is a drawback or a benefit. What YOU consider a benefit is not necessarily what I might consider a benefit. And what YOU consider a drawback may not be a drawback to someone else.

I saw no drawbacks in getting the Ship's shuttle. Our one way tickets were delivered to our stateroom. We didn't have to stand in line. If there had been more than 2 of us, a taxi may have been a cheaper option but for 2 the price difference was not a big deal to us. If the difference were a matter of $20 or more than yes maybe we would have considered a taxi. But $6 or $7 is not a big deal to us. In the broad scope of things, some of us don't have to make decisions totally based on saving a few bucks. If we did than maybe we should reconsider taking a vacation at all. We easily found where the shuttle loaded and the shuttle was there when we arrived and we didn't have to wait. For 2 women travelling, it's sometimes easier to just go with the flow therefore we know exactly where we are going and don't have to make sure the taxi is taking us to the correct place. And to be honest, I didn't see any taxi stands around Quincy Market so it would have been just as big a hassle to find the taxi stand as it was to find the shuttle pick up location. And the shuttle only had one destination, so not sure what you are talking about there. Quincy Market seemed to be a fairly central location to start sightseeing. If one was wanting to do something other than the Freedom trail, I could understand taking a taxi to your destination. We only used the shuttle to return to the ship so it made no difference to us really where it picked up since we were in that area anyway.

But again it's all matter of personal decisions. It's great that you point out the other options but no need to keep repeating yourself and belittling those that do opt for the shuttles.

Boston is a major city with alot more to do than Quincy Market but apparently most tourists do start there. As for the miles long Freedom Trail, it does not always make sense to start at Quincy Market which is at its center. As for the shuttle, many have multiple stops-depends on WHICH shuttle (ship-sponsored, private, etc.) you pay for. And I seriously doubt you didn't have to wait for it to depart.

I never tried to "belittle" anyone, nor do I deny anyone their right to make a personal choice. Just like in life, while many things are of course subjective, there are often clear bad choices and better ones. All I was trying to understand was why people take the shuttles versus using the taxis or public transportation. However, after reading your long rambling explanation of your visit to Quincy Market, the fact that spending more and getting less is just fine with you, and that you wanted to "go with the flow", I now understand why the shuttles do such a good business. Now, I'm belittling you. :rolleyes:

I'm merely trying to understand what possible reason someone who is aware of the options would elect to take the shuttles. I completely respect personal choice but when there are all drawbacks and no benefits to doing something, I just want to know what I'm missing:

1. Shuttle: Wait in line to buy a ticket. You even added that there was confusion amonst people trying to find the shuttle pickup/dropoff locations. Taxi: Get in and you're on your way within minutes.

2. Shuttle: Pay per person no matter how large the party so, unless you're travelling solo, they are MUCH more expensive. A real rip-off. Taxi: $9-12 each way to anywhere in the city for up to four passengers.

3. Shuttle: Must wait for regular scheduled arrival or departure times. Taxi: Leaves when you want to leave.

4. Shuttle: Limited, select pickup and drop-off locations. Taxi: Pickup and drop-off ANYWHERE in the city; nearly whenever you need it.

5. Shuttle: Makes one or more stops along a fixed route. Taxi: Direct point to point service.

I have to agree with Terp here. As a resident of MA, the most cost effective way is the taxi and you'll get a little of the local color and personalized service. You lose a lot of time in the city waiting on the shuttles.

I still don't understand why ANYONE would pay to use these shuttle buses. You waste alot of time sitting/standing around waiting for scheduled departures AND they're a rip-off pricewise. Even if you are traveling alone, all you need to do is find one other person to split cab fare with, and you are WAY ahead. Of course, you are part of a group, the convenience and $$$ REALLY favors a cab!

Someone just sent me this thread and I haven't gone back over it in detail but we were in Boston 2 weks ago on the EOS NE/Canada Cruise (see my full report on the 3 Rolls Calls). There is a PUBLIC bus that is right across the street from the terminal Silver Line SL that will take you into the city. The $8.00 shuttle folks are NOW supposed to tell you that. It takes you to South Station where yu can transfer.

Hi,

I am on the Oct. 10th sailing of the Constellation and I researched this topic. When you get off the ship there is a silver line bus that will take you to the South Station. The bus is $2.00 BUT if you get a transfer ticket you can use it to board the red line train to Park- Inbound. The Park stop is in the middle of all the action. I got the information from the 1-888-see-boston visitor employee.

Archived