Last minute jitters

AVAMARIE

We leave Sunday for our first cruise on the Sun to Alaska and I have been excited since we booked it last summer. Now all of a sudden I am dreading the thought of getting on the plane here in Syracuse and flying all day to Vancouver. I am telling myself that it will be worth it, but I think my next cruise will be out of NYC with no airplanes. Is it me or has anyone else had last minute jitters about flying? Maybe I should just smuggle alcohol on the plane and sleep the whole way.

I sympathize with you. I really don't like flying very much either -- luckily it was only about a 2 hour flight from SLC to Seattle when we went.

Just remember that it will all be worth it when you see your first glacier or whale, and that beautiful Alaska scenery as you go through the inside passage. The Sun is a beautiful ship, and you will have a wonderful time.

I actually didn't mind flying at all until I had kids -- I don't know what sort of weird quirk in my nature started bothering me then, but something sure did. If necessary, take a Dramamine -- not only for the motion sickness factor but also for the sleep aid!

While cruising close to home has many benefits, there's no other way to see Alaska, which is truly worth the hassle. You wont be disappointed. Just remember to take plenty of patience, be prepared for extra scrutiny at security, etc. I'm sure the flight will be uneventful and you'll have a wonderful cruise.

This is also my 1st cruise. I'm leaveing Buffalo on the 11th of September for a cruise on the 12th on the Sun. I am going to be a little extra nervous that's for sure, but I know that the time spent going thru extra security will pay off in the long run.

Take a deep breath and go for it. Have a great cruise.

Just think about all the fun you will have on an absolutely awesome ship leaving from a wonderful city. Most of us don't get thrilled about flying especially those long flights, but you will have a blast. I wish I was going now instead of 2 and 1/2 more months.

NMnita

I always have last-minute jitters about flying, but until the cruise lines start looking at Milwaukee as a departure port, I have to start my cruises with a flight. If I start to get nervous on board, I watch the flight attendants go about their business in an unconcerned manner; they are in the air all the time and it's just a workplace to them. Take a good book - something big and thick that you never have time to read at home - and a portable CD player with your favorite music. Use the long flight time to plan your shore excursions. And on the return trip, use the flight time to write a review for us.

Have a memorable cruise!

You are not alone!! I get the jitters everytime we travel!! And i do such a mind job on myself weeks before...........but, there are such great rewards once you are there that it all seems so silly (even though it is not).

A major help to me is Rescue Remedy......you can buy it at any pharmacy or wherever vitamins, etc., are sold. It is herbal.........not drugs. Try it..it may be just the thing you need.......then when you get on the plane you can kick back and enjoy!!

Eileen

Relax....Enjoy.....Hit the airport bar before you take off....You're going to have a great vacation!:D

After all, your not traveling on the Pride of Aloha like me:eek: so you have nothing to worry about:) !

but think about that wonderful flight you will have to Hawaii and if you are spending a couple days there before or after the POA you will love it (let's hope anyway) maybe POA will surprize you, especially with your attitude. The few positive remarks we have read about POA have been from either 1st time cruisers or those who have gone expecting the very worst. Good luck and smile as much as you can. When do you leave?

NMNIta

Thank you for your reassurances. I am just going to try to tell myself that the plane is just a small inconvience to put up with to get me to the ship. I cannot usually sleep on the plane,but I have to get up at 4:00 aM to get to the airport and I will be armed with every sleep aid I can find. Thanks again for the support.

Bankofdad- I hope you sail smoothly on POA - (and your flight).

Archived