Transatlantic Questions

JoAnne B

I'm a seasoned transatlantic crossing addict who has sailed Regent for the past few years, first on the Diamond, then the Navigator. Fall 08 the Navigator is doing an exotic itinerary, not its usual crossing, so I'm considering options to the Voyager (a great ship, but not my favorite).

I'm looking for relaxing, not stuffy. Right now the legend is at the top of the list. It looks like I can do a longer cruise for about the same money. I can spend time in Madeira and fly back to Lisbon for the same airfare that I would pay one-way for Regent. The catch is that Regent is very accommodating and gives me a lot of perks as a mid-level repeat passenger. So I have a few questions for you veteran crossers, and there seem to be a few devotees out there.

One huge consideration is the WiFi, which I have free on Regent. I need to stay in contact with my office. How reliable is the Legend's WiFi on a crossing? I saw comments about the slow speed in general, which raises concerns for the crossing. I could run up a huge bill!

Also, how updated is the satellite system that provides television coverage. I am aware that there are blackout spots as you cross the Atlantic, but the length of these dead spots varies by equipment. How does the Legend system hold up?

Finally, are there many solo travellers? Regent caters to those of us who sail without a partner (My hubby isn't sold on crossings, so it's my relaxation time alone). I know so many repeat fellow travellers and staff on the Navigator that the change is a bit daunting.

Finally, I noticed that there are considerably more formal nights. How dress-up are these dinners. Typically, I take a basic black evening dress and vary it with tops and coverups. Will I be looking at heavier suitcases to accommodate these evenings?

Thanks for any input.

JoAnne B

Houston

I can only speak to the last 2/4 queries.

Finally, are there many solo travellers? Regent caters to those of us who sail without a partner. I know so many repeat fellow travellers and staff on the Navigator that the change is a bit daunting.

Yes, we singles are well cared for and there are often many of us. The feature of the hosted dinner tables is really wonderful, we get to dine with many cruisers and become quite friendly. Sailing alone should not enter into your decision. The staff will call you by name by Day 2 if not Day 1.

Finally, I noticed that there are considerably more formal nights. How dress-up are these dinners. Typically, I take a basic black evening dress and vary it with tops and coverups. Will I be looking at heavier suitcases to accommodate these evenings?

You are fine with some mix and match and many of us repeat outfits often. After all, it's who you are, not what you wear. One cruise, a woman wore the same red dress every night. She had 'beaten' cancer and could care less what we thought about her repeating wardrobe. You should not need more luggage.

I predict you will enjoy the crossing or any Seabourn cruise. There is quite a crowd of regulars and if you read the BB, you will meet them all.

One huge consideration is the WiFi, which I have free on Regent. I need to stay in contact with my office. How reliable is the Legend's WiFi on a crossing? I saw comments about the slow speed in general, which raises concerns for the crossing. I could run up a huge bill!

Also, how updated is the satellite system that provides television coverage. I am aware that there are blackout spots as you cross the Atlantic, but the length of these dead spots varies by equipment. How does the Legend system hold up?

I would not count on the wifi. My experience with Seabourn's (and most cruiselines) Internet access has been ok to poor. The technology is just not there yet. Some days are good, others you can't connect at all and you spend $ trying to connect. The purser desk will usually reverse the charge on those days.

I've found the satellite TV to be a bit better but just as spotty on the transatlantics.

I agree with Matt as to the satellite system. One Northern Crossing we lost the satellite altogether~~so not too reliable.:rolleyes:

As to Crossing solo, there are many Sailor's (both female and male)who enjoy these voyages. and book each year. And many who are regular Guests on Seabourn.

We all "mix 'n mingle"~~~actually a big happy family. I sailed a few times on the Radisson Diamond~~a wonderful 'lit vessel~~what a shame that "she's" now a neoned gambling ship in Asia.

The evening dress is more formal on TA Crossings, I have found. Our cocktail/dinner's are high-lights of the day, so we enjoy dressing for the evening~~not sequins and "family jewels" every night, but dressy~~men wear jackets most evenings in the dining room. The Veranah is casual for those not wanting to dress. And the in-suite dining is also popular as you are served course by course, with fine wines.

The Seabourn Transatlantic Crossings are now "sell outs"~~I can well remember 7 years ago we had a mere 97 Guests aboard the Pride for the Spring Cross~~it was alot of fun~~when we boarded the Hot Man permitted us to switch Suites~~to our liking! It seemed akin to a family owned yacht!

Welcome to Seabourn!:p

Martita B.

Actually Matt, the technology IS there but the cruise lines won't buy it. The problem isn't just hardware; it's also a matter of purchasing sufficient bandwidth on the best satellites to handle both data and video services as well as contracting for higher quality television programming. It's all out there and available but the companies won't provide it until the customers demand it.

>"...when we boarded the Hot Man permitted us to switch Suites~~to our liking! It seemed akin to a family owned yacht!"

WOW! Did you change, Martha? I would opt for 234 if I had a chance to change.

I agree with everyrthing Jane, Matt and Martita posted. Yes, the internet service can be a bit slow and last November we lost the satellite for one morning. You will have to purchase a service package which can be used for the computers in the computer center or your Wi-Fi equipped laptop. The rates are in US$ for the hours of service provided. ½ hour - $13.50, 1 – $24.95, 2 – $47.95, 4 – $89.95, 8 – $167.95, 16 – $287.95 and 32 – $479.95. To print emails, web pages, etc., you need to be logged on to one of the computers in the Computer Center and Seabourn charges $0.50 a page. Usually, I only print out my boarding pass for my flight home the day before disembarking.

One thing Seabourn does for solo sailors (and couples too) is invite them to the hosed tables for dinner in the Restaurant. You will meet many passengers and Officers and Cruise staff. While most other cruise lines focus on the ships, Seabourn's focus is on individualized service.

Martita is absolutely right, both the '06 and '07 Legend Nov. crossings were sold out and waitlisted at least 6 months before sailing! :eek: I do not moonlight for the Seabourn Sales Department nor am I on "commission," but think it over and I hope you book and give Seabourn a try. The good single run-of-ship fares are capacity controlled so don't wait too long. I have my TA book my Seaabourn cruises on the first day they are available for booking. IMHO the Pride and Legend spring and fall crossings are the best value for the fare paid. I think you will have a grand time onboard as you will undoubtedly fine other like-minded passengers.

Perhaps after regaling your DH with tales of Seabourn pampered bliss, you both will want to book one of Seabourn's more port-intensive sailings.

Welcome aboard Seabourn Cruise Line and blue skies, calm seas and gentle breezes on all your future sailings! :)

Actually, hubby enjoys the more port-intensive cruises, provided there are a few sea days to relax. But we have opposite body clocks. He's up at dawn and early to bed. I sleep late and don't feel "started" till tea time. And the fact that he's based in Austria, so on European time, and I'm on Texas time doesn't help. Putting us together in a ship's cabin for a crossing leaves us both frustrated. However, we do at least one cruise together every year, lst year Dover to Monte Carlo, and this year a 12 day Monte Carlo to Funchal on Regent with me staying on solo to Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure he'd like the smaller ship Seabourn experience.

I'm waiting for pricing now, and will have to factor in the cost of wi-fi to the overall package.

JoAnne B

Houston

Jane,

Did you know you are staying in my Brother's Suite??? Yep, Suite 234 was always Joe's house~~Mother and I always in # 232! Sure wish the walls could tell you the grrrreat tales of Joe's "Champagne and Caviar" morning socials. Mother loved these....I would stroll the Deck 5 coridor and invite our neighbors in for champagne, caviar and fellowship!;) Always a fun party with fun Sailmates. (these were copied by John B.~~and now every Cross he hosts his world famous pajama party)

The Crossing's are magical voyages~~we never know what's gonna happen next! I've come to call the ocean, "Her Majesty!":confused:

Martita B.

I agree with Jane on clothing. However I know a woman who has "beaten" cancer and she loves to dress up every night in a different outfit! Like Jane says : It doesn't matter what you wear, just as long as you are there! (free translation; slightly different I know and I know what Jane means, but this is a well known line from a song. That's why I like it.)

My "hubby" (I just can't get used to that word, it "sounds" so patronizing to me) HATES to dress up, but he will do it for me a couple of times. Like you and your husband we have different sleeping habits: He goes to bed early and is a late riser, whereas I go to bed late and rise early! But we still cruise together, we meet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and in between we do whatever we like to do by ourselves(and of course a "sundowner" at the Sky bar). So you could say I'm "half single" (but happily married).

I don't use the inter net much, but nowadays you can use your normal cell phone even in the middle of the Atlantic through a Norwegian company.

Television reception is not guaranteed, but I think we have lost the Greek subtitles now after many complaints! Which is a good thing. By the way, I don't have the time to watch television; I'm always around and about!

Marja

Yeah. I refer to him as "hubby" because we've been together so long that anything else feels too formal for our great relationship. Don't mean it as patronizing, but affectionate. Where I live, the wives are often referred to as the "little woman", and I think that is really patronizing.

I'm really anxious to hear back on pricing, as it sounds like a fun crowd. I like to dress for dinner. I think it sets the mood for the entire evening. Hubby doesn't mind the tux, but I pushed it too far when I bought him a white dinner jacket...don't think he ever wore it. I just had visions of heavy, long dresses and loads of jewelry, which is so hard to manage these days with the limits on carry-ons. I was on one cruise where the women wore a diffent long formal almost every evening...that's too much for me. So it sounds like Seabourn would be just right.

JoAnne B

Houston

JoAnne,

Not many "ball gowns" are worn these days~~long dresses and skirts, yes. I also enjoy dressing for dinner so I hope Seabourn will always enforce their dress code! So many cruise lines are going the

"casual" way~~which is fine for those that do not enjoy dressing.

Seabourn is definitely a "fun bunch of Sailor's!" (especially on Crossing's) I hope you'll come join in on our merrymaking!

Martita B.

Dear JoAnne, if you are checking prices for the Legend 11/08 for a single, I think I can help. We had priced this cruise for my MIL and at that time, last week, the only thing they were offering singles was 175%. As others have pointed out, this is an extremely popular crossing, as are all the other Seabourn crossings. We were unable to book anything less than a B2 for next Aprils Legend crossing due to the popularity. As such we were forced, all right not forced, to book Celebrity, as we didn't want to pay 6K each.

I wish you luck and hope you make that voyage and we'll get to meet.

Howard

I'm really anxious to hear back on pricing, as it sounds like a fun crowd. I like to dress for dinner. I think it sets the mood for the entire evening. Hubby doesn't mind the tux, but I pushed it too far when I bought him a white dinner jacket...don't think he ever wore it. I just had visions of heavy, long dresses and loads of jewelry, which is so hard to manage these days with the limits on carry-ons. I was on one cruise where the women wore a diffent long formal almost every evening...that's too much for me. So it sounds like Seabourn would be just right

JoAnne B

Joanne if I had time I'd figure out how to insert a picture here - on our Seabourn Spirit cruise - first formal night my "hubby" brings out his white dinner jacket he bought for a Florida formal event one year. I almost flipped. Like "you're not going to wear that are you?!" - Anyway - we had made friends with two great couples on board and were meeting them for dinner - cocktails first of course - and sure enough - the two other guys were there in their white dinner jackets! Too funny! So I love the picture of the three of them.

On the November 24th sailing in the Caribbean there is only one formal night so it will be easy to pack for me at least. No sequins for the Caribbean. Something black and silver or gold sandals and it's done!

Jane and Martha,

Richard and I had Suite 235 (right across the hall from 234) on the Pride's crossing this past Spring - it became our favorite ship suite ever. Great location and given the "ups and downs" the Pride had to handle the first 4 or 5 days of the trip, the mid-ship location couldn't have been better.

We agree with all the posters regarding the friendly and festive atmosphere on the crossing. What a nice group of folks. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are looking forward to the next time work (that other ugly four-letter word) and vacation schedules allow for a crossing. Most likely in Spring 2009.

Perry

Perry and Richard,

Suite # 235 is certainly the most perfect Suite on a TA Crossing~I've never stayed in 235 or 233~~hopefully one of these days!

Oh, where were 'yall "when the lights went out in Georgia?" ha ha:confused:

I was dining with friends up in the Sky Grill~~~right by the fire door! I knew Captain Rikard had everything under control, but for a few minutes, I thought we had hit a dead whale!;)

Hope to sail with 'yall real soon!

Martita B.

Howard

Actually I was looking at the Oct 08 Lisbon/FLL sailing. But today they quoted me the 175% single rate, so it's not looking very likely that I'll be onboard. I'm waiting news from my travel agent

Imagine, a couple of years ago we were sailing almost empty and now the TA's are full.

JoAnne B

Houston

Only a few weeks to go! We are 2 couples from Sydney boarding in Rome in October for the crossing to FL. We would be very interested to know what the weather is usually like, and what to wear during the day. We have all travelled Seabourn before and absolutely adore it. Looking forward to meeting seasoned sailors for this trip and to join in the fun. Should we bring special pajamas for the pajama party ? Are smart jeans acceptable during the day on the Crossing ?

Sandy M Sydney AUSTRALIA

Archived