Getting to Ship in Whittier

gointostpete

For those of you that did your own land tour pre-cruise, how did you get to the ship in Whittier? I'll have a rental and I thought I'd return it to the airport and hook-up with Princess there on embarkation day. Is there a better way to drop off my rental and still get to the ship (considering we'll have luggage to drag around with us)?

For those of you that did your own land tour pre-cruise, how did you get to the ship in Whittier? I'll have a rental and I thought I'd return it to the airport and hook-up with Princess there on embarkation day. Is there a better way to drop off my rental and still get to the ship (considering we'll have luggage to drag around with us)?

Hubby and I sailed out of Whittier last year. We flew into Anchorage, rented a car from Avis (one way rental) and stayed the night in Anchorage. We then got up the next morning and drove to Whittier...it's a nice, scenic drive with lots of picture opportunities. There's an Avis in Whittier within walking distance of the ship so hubby dropped me and luggage off at the terminal, drove the car to the Avis drop-off then walked back to the ship terminal.

If I ever sail out of Whittier again, I will definitely do it this way again. The one way rental was only slightly higher than if we had booked a transfer with the cruise line and having our own car allowed us to stop when we wanted (and we stopped plenty!).:)

That's good to know. We'll be renting a car in Anchorage anyway, so I'll just arrange for drop off in Whittier. Sounds like that would work great. Thanks!

If you go with a one way rental, I suggest you plan that whole day for touring, can get a lot in. :) I would not be in a rush to get on the ship and getting through the 5:30pm tunnel is more than enough time to board your ship.

The one way car rental works out excellent IF you plan Seward the day before, and just go direct to Whittier.

So look at your whole planning and itinerary and choose the most efficient.

Archived