Increasing the odds that the upgrade fairy will visit

LilRhody

I'm not sure that anyone knows for sure. Some say it's totally random, some people swear lattitudes members get priority, and others have their own theories and opinions. I can think of all sorts of things that might make sense from a marketing perspective.

From my perspective I would say to make sure you have a valid personal e-mail address that you check regularly associated with your profile. My upsell transaction was done entirely through e-mail with no telephone contact at all.

This is our first cruise and our TA notified us about an upsell. I know when we booked, I had told her specifically that we would be interested in upsells if one came along. She actually notified us twice about upsell opportunities (the first time we didn't get back to her in time).

I really don't think there's any way to increase your chances of getting an upsell call. And there's definitely no way of increasing your (very, very slim) chances of getting a free upgrade. It doesn't matter whether you book directly or through a TA.

beachchick

I think I know how to decrease the odds. I sent an email to the PCC that was assigned to me last week after booking 3 cruises with NCL asking her to add in the comments section that I would accept an upsell. This is what I got back:

I would but if I put that you want an upgrade they aren’t allowed to give you one. Stupid rule but I guess they had people unhappy because they took a lesser cabin than they really wanted and then didn’t get the upsell. You know the few ruin it for the rest of us!

Not sure if there is a way to increase your chances but I can tell you that I've booked at least my last TEN cruises through a travel agent and never once was I offered an upgrade or upsell. In my mind, I'm convinced you need to book direct with cruiseline but that's just my best guess.

Good luck.

maryjo

Our teenage boys first cruised on our 2nd sailing with NCL. To keep the costs down, we booked an inside stateroom (Cat H), full knowing we're generally only there to sleep and shower up.

Relatively close to sailing, the Upsell Fairy called, putting us in an AB Penthouse Suite for a total upsell of $800. Of course we took it!

After that, we assumed they took pity on us having 4 people in an inside stateroom. However we've since learned that is not the case, doing the same thing on a later cruise and being stuck in the inside! LOL! We still managed just fine though.

It may have helped them decide who to call, but really it all depends on availability in the first place. Cruises can be booked to capacity with hardly any great upsells to offer anyways.

I believe it's merely luck of the draw. Our PCC told us the exact same thing on our last cruise; that if they notate you are interested in an upsell you won't get one. And definitely DON'T CALL THEM; THEY'LL CALL YOU!

Just book the most affordable cabin you will be happy with. And then pray NCL calls you for an upgrade or upsell.

II have not nor should anyone else think an upgrade or upsell is an expected perk. No where have I read either are.

No they are not an expected perk just a pleasant surprise when it happens. Some things are fun to look forward to the possibility without rain on their parade.

I personally believe they have a good database (total number of cruises, total $'s spent per cruise, etc) of past cruisers and use this in there selection process. But, then again "someone who is not to be named" called upsells "NCL's crack to get people hooked on the Suite Life". So, maybe they save the lions share for newbies to the Suite Life. Dunno.

John

I think I know how to decrease the odds. I sent an email to the PCC that was assigned to me last week after booking 3 cruises with NCL asking her to add in the comments section that I would accept an upsell. This is what I got back:

I would but if I put that you want an upgrade they aren’t allowed to give you one. Stupid rule but I guess they had people unhappy because they took a lesser cabin than they really wanted and then didn’t get the upsell. You know the few ruin it for the rest of us!

I have heard that before, and it doesn't make sense to me.... if they know that someone is willing to take an upsell, wouldn't they want to contact those people first, knowing that they are willing? I would think that would save a lot of time rather than randoming contacting people who maybe half the time say 'no thanks'? They don't promise an upsell, so those people who book a lesser cabin and then get upset about not getting offered an upsell have no reason to be unhappy. Just my two cents... ;)

Upgrade and Upsell mentioned in the same email? Upgrade and upsell are entirely different:confused:

What is he/she talking about?

My PCC took my request for an upsell:)

I have heard that before, and it doesn't make sense to me.... if they know that someone is willing to take an upsell, wouldn't they want to contact those people first, knowing that they are willing? I would think that would save a lot of time rather than randoming contacting people who maybe half the time say 'no thanks'? They don't promise an upsell, so those people who book a lesser cabin and then get upset about not getting offered an upsell have no reason to be unhappy. Just my two cents... ;)

This likely stems from the reasons that they no longer accept incoming calls from TAs or pax. Some were calling the tiny department starting months before their cruise to ask/beg/plead for an upsell. Some were calling daily and even twice a day. The department got completely overwhelmed with all the incoming calls. The PTB changed it to "don't call us; we might call you." The other reason was that many, many savvy pax were booking cabins in categories much lower than they actually wanted and then starting in on those upsell requests--constantly. The Revenue dept wasn't thrilled, so they figured that if pax couldn't call in all day long and if there was no real "rhyme or reason" to who would get called (if any cabins/suites were even available; they aren't always), then people would be more inclined to book the categories they actually wanted, which would increase revenue.

As for upgrades (a free deal), those are rare indeed. Although pax who book guarantees are often "upgraded" it's typically within type (book gty for cheapest oceanview, get assigned best category of oceanview), but occasionally it will be something more (book gty oceanview, get assigned to balcony). There have actually been people who book inside gtys assuming that the "least" they'll get is an oceanview or balcony and that they've got a decent chance of being assigned into a suite. That's just not the way it works; the "least" you could get is the worst located cabin in the category you book. That's why the advice is always to book the category that you'll be happy with, then if you are the one in a million who gets an upgrade. Wow. (And even if you're the one in however-many who gets offered an upsell, it can still be wow.)

beachchick

Thanks all.

I was thinking of the upsell, rather than the eternally rare free upgrade. I'd love to get into a suite, but just can't justify paying twice the cost of the balcony for it - but if I were lucky enough to get an upsell call at a price I could swallow, I'd jump on it!

With our last 4 cruises, we were called 3 times for an upsell. Booked with NCL direct on all of them. On all, we orginally booked a desirable cabin.

You know, I can't help but wonder if that sometimes has something to do with the order of calls? We got three calls just for our PoH cruise last December. We were in a prime aft AF. I know they resold it (or upsold it) less than 3 weeks before the cruise date because when we said yes to the third upsell call, our mini went into inventory for about a day and then was gone.

beachchick

You know, I can't help but wonder if that sometimes has something to do with the order of calls? We got three calls just for our PoH cruise last December. We were in a prime aft AF. I know they resold it (or upsold it) less than 3 weeks before the cruise date because when we said yes to the third upsell call, our mini went into inventory for about a day and then was gone.

beachchick

Same happened with us. We originally had a Aft Balcony booked for out Sept 16 Hawaii cruise, and we were upsold to an Aft AE. Then early this week we were asked if we wanted an Aft AC Penthouse, which we took. Our AE was gone in a day.

beachchick

Same happened with us. We originally had a Aft Balcony booked for out Sept 16 Hawaii cruise, and we were upsold to an Aft AE. Then early this week we were asked if we wanted an Aft AC Penthouse, which we took. Our AE was gone in a day.

I was looking at the old seaweb site and found an aft for my Gem cruise available. It was not on the new site. I grabbed it and called my PCC. She laughed when I told her. A week later called to make payment and she pulled the booking up and laughed again. She said the wait list for that particular cruise and cabin was long. I told her they will wait a long time because we are not giving it up this time, unless---aaaahhh--- an OS at the bow was to become available.:eek: :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the demand for cabins is one factor in who gets an upsell offer. Either demand for a specific cabin, specific area of the ship, or a specific category. The goal is to make money, so if they know they can sell the vacated cabin to someone else....

Also, upsells can be a useful marketing tool to increase demand for suites. If NCL can somehow identify someone they think can be a prime target for booking suites in the future, then why not give them a taste at a discounted price?

It could be first timers that book a certain class of cabin or request certain amenities are a target. It could be based on onboard spending from previous cruises. Why not reward and lure back those who are contributing most to your bottom line? It could be based on people that they think are more likely to pay more for the upsell. They could even look at your spending habits if you have the NCL mastercard. Companies are always data mining and looking for patterns...

Archived