Great Stirrup Cay

Stout Drinker

My wife and I booked a seven day Norweigan Sun Cruise. Its our first time cruising. One of the ports is Great Stirrup Cay. The only excursion offered is the snorkeling.

We would like to go snorkeling one time and this may be the best time.

I was just wondering, is there anything else to do there? Can you just go to a beach and swim and walk around. Are there any charges for that?

Any information about that port would be appreciated.

Yes, any info would be greatly appreciated for me also. I wish one of the ports we could visit would be Nassau or another more popular one. This port, Great Stirrup Cay, is privately owned by NCL & I don't think there's much to do either ... when u sailing ? We're planning to go during the X-mas holiday from NYC. Are u also going to port at Port Canaveral & Key West ?

Pretty much snorkeling is it. I would want to suggest you eat lunch before you get off the boat because the line for the BBQ is huge.

Youc an swim, lie out, walk around, and stuff like that for free. I think if you want a cabana you have to rent it also. This was not my favorite place to go. It really needs more to do.

I've been there several times and it basicly a really relaxed beach day. They usually do a beach lunch/bar-b-que and there may be some other light water sports etc (last time there was in the late 90's)...but plan on just relaxing, hiking (not too far...it's not that big) and swim/snorkeling which is usally pretty good anywhere in the Bahamas...and eating. Take your sunscreen...shade is a real commodity there.

That said, If you are on the Sun to Cozulmel, ( or another Mexican port near there) and the weather is good (they can get higher winds some days and cancel watersports) you may want to try it there as the snorkeling is world class! Hope this helps.

We're booked on the Sun for Dec 15th.:)

Filmguyd

My wife and I booked a seven day Norweigan Sun Cruise. Its our first time cruising. One of the ports is Great Stirrup Cay. The only excursion offered is the snorkeling.

We would like to go snorkeling one time and this may be the best time.

I was just wondering, is there anything else to do there? Can you just go to a beach and swim and walk around. Are there any charges for that?

Any information about that port would be appreciated.

I've been to GSC several times and it is basically a beach to relax at. Beautiful beach and a fun time if you're not looking for too much. There are also some tiny shops to buy tee-shirts and assorted gift shop items. There used to be a tour they gave about the different sea life in the area that was pretty interesting but I'm not sure if they still do that. It took about an hour. It's also a good spot to take pictures of the ship you're on from the beach. I usually last about 3 hours there and then head back to the ship.

They have para-sailing there too. And a small straw market if you're interested. You'll have to have cash with you if you want to shop there. The beach is very nice and you can walk around the island on some trail they have there. It can be very hot and there isn't really much shade. Be on the first tender to have a choice on where to sit. I was on the Dawn in June and in about 2 hours they tendered 2,000 or so people over to the beach. A bunch of people were back on board before noon saying the beach was too crowded. I stayed on the ship and enjoyed the quiet pool and the frozen drinks. Ok here's a good tip---IF you're still on the beach when it gets close to departure time-watch the people standing on that lonnnnggg line to get back on the tenders and have another frozen beverage! We did that a few years ago. We got that one picnic table right by the tender port and just hung out there until it was really time to get on the tender! We knew it was the last tender when the band got onboard and they loaded the trash bags and the left over food. Our departure time was 1pm and we were still on the beach at 3pm~! And yes the bartenders were still serving!

Have fun!

We are cruising March 22nd to 29th. Leaving from Miami and the stops are Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya, and Great Stirrup Cay.

Stout Drinker - Come join our Roll Call. We have a small one so far; hoping for more people to join us on it.

Was at GSC last February on the Jewel and really didn't like it much. It seemed extremely crowded when all 2,000+ guests piled onto a nice but not huge beach... The island is only modestly "fixed up" by NCL... VERY rustic.

Very little to do. It's basically a flat semi-arid island with a nice beach and a dumpy lighthouse at one end. On the day we were there parasailing was canceled so don't count on that either.

Didn't snorkel because the water was too cold (in late Feb) but those that did weren't reporting much to see off of the main beach. Saw ONE stingray.

We stayed for an hour then went back to nearly deserted ship and laid out by the pool - MUCH better!

GSC used to be an Air Force tracking station, and there are some structures that remain from that era. NCL has placed small artificial reef structures in the swimming area which are begining to take on a life of their own, and make for some enjoyable snorkeling. It's a very relaxing day on a pretty nice beach.;)

We've been there twice, and enjoyed two spectacular beach days. One was with our two adult daughters and two grand kids, and they loved the beach and snorkeling. The 2nd time was with my brother and GF, and we hung out there for most of the day, very relaxing. I can't add much to what's been described, though we enjoyed the BBQ, plenty to choose from incl. pizza. We opted to get off the boat early, and head to the end of the beach to claim "property" next to the water. At that time they also had umbrellas with the lounge chairs, at no charge, but I understand they became a hazard on windy days. The beach is wide, but narrow, so It's not a big deal to be next to the water, though it would be more important if you have kids with you.

I'm not sure what the policy is in regard to feeding the fish, but we brought some things for them to eat when the kids were with us, and in seconds we were swamped with fish. Most of them were of only a couple different species, but it was great fun for the kids. I think NCL feeds them as well, out around the reef mentioned previously.

count me as one who didn't like it. some of the vendors at the straw market were rude. the beach at the shoreline was very rough, so I suggest watershoes. my niece said there wasn't much to see snorkeling (at least the day were were there).

And I found it to be hot, difficult to navigate as the paths are mostly sand and generally a big dissapointment. We ran out of food early, the drinks were limited and finding somewhere to settle with my family (five kids) was not easy given the crowds and chhogs. People even put things on the hammocks to save them even though their was no one in sight. We took our snorkels stuff with us so we didn't have to pay to rent them but you still have to rent a vest. My kids did some good pics of stingrays and tropical fish. We tendered back early and enjoyed the near empty ship. We then went back for a late party which was actually done well and fun for all.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGYc

picture worth a thousand words. I have been here 3 times and frankly we love it. Its a beach. Some days its hot some days it isn't. The snorkeling is easy and I who hate cold water always am it for hours( I bring my own mask and snorkle- you can rent the flippers and the vest is free but you must wear it). Last time we had so much fun we missed the BBQ but we have eaten it and it is fine moves fast and a lot of food(we ate in the Blue Lagoon when we got back-the food is better)---not gourmet food its a freaken beach BBQ. They have added more chairs and it does get crowded but so do must beaches....

and yes there is a bar....

I have been to the straw market and its no big deal if you are expecting something big wait until Nassau...

I'm a novice cruiser. What's a roll call?

By the way, I am in the chicagoland area as well.

Click on "Cruise Critic Message Board" above, you will see Roll Calls for each cruise line. Click on NCL and you will see a list of ships, click on yours and you will see a list of Cruise dates for your ship. Look for your and you will likely find a thread of discussion amongst your fellow cruisers. There you can discuss anything you'd like, things like a CC gathering on board, excursions, ports, onboard activities, details about the ship, GSC, or whatever. The basic difference between the Roll Call board and the main board, is the Roll Call is mostly those folks you will be with on your cruise.

Typically the thread is started well before your cruise, though occasionally it is not very active. If you book a cruise and do not find a roll call for your cruise date, anyone can start one.

I urge you to check it out, and let the folks know you are coming.

Hehe.. I can't believe some of the negative remarks here :D

It's hot - well of course it's hot. It's a beach in the Bahamas! If you don't like hot - go to Alaska!

It's sand - of course it's sand, what else do you expect to find on a beach?

The beach is not rough unless you go on the surrounding rocks.

GSC is simply great - during my time with NCL I only heard positive comments about the GSC day. Take it for what it is - a day at the beach. If you don't like beaches it's better to stay onboard and attend a ship tour or bingo ;)

ICAM... I LOVE it! I've cruised mostly in the fall and winter and we had to miss it twice b/c of storms or storm damage! I was so sad those two times. It is the perfect beach day they drop you off and pick you up on the beach.

The BBQ and music are fun, i love the sand wheelchairs! They just crack me up, snorkeling is fun, we even saw a stingray last year. My friend hiked to the lighthouse and loved it. You can rent paddle boats, rafts or just chill in a chair. I have to say it gets crowded, almost as bad as I've seen in Southern Cali in the summer!

Anyway, my opinion is it is awesome, but if you don't like the beach, don't go b/c I've heard the ship is super empty while most people are out on the beach! Enjoy the day by the pool!

NCL Private Island - NCL should be embarrased. Maybe 30 years ago this was a great stop...but not anymore. The RCCL island is right next door (you can see it when you tender in), and I can tell you from personal expierience that it is FAR supperior. The beach is only a couple of hundred yards, and can not handle the crowds from the Pearl....saw a ton of people going back by 2PM. People were fighting for space and chairs. The lunch on the island was ok (nothing special). Also, while the last tender was called for 5:30, all food was shut down at 3PM. Can not tell you how many people missed the chance to eat, AND the hundreds that were looking for a 3:30 snack.

Kids eat luch at 12 or 1PM, at 3 are looking for something - a cookie or ice cream or fruit....there was nothing. One of the line workers saw that people were gettig mad, and started to open up a container of brownies...swarms of people started digging in, and the supervisor yelled at her to put the food away...too many people were still eating! Well if too many people are eating, then maybe you have closed up WAY too early. RCCL does this much nicer and on a much nicer beach. The RCCL beach goes almost alll the way around the island, which gives you a chance to find a nice spot to sit and enjoy the sand. On this beach there was no room for kids to dig with a pail.

Updated note: My family are beachgoers, and LOVE the cruiselines private beaches.....NCL's is not great. (But it still beats work.....)

At the risk of being redundant, here's what I posted about Great Stirrup Cay after a cruise there in March last year.

Ports - Great Stirrup Cay:

- Fill bottles with ice and water for Great Stirrup Cay. You'll want to have it handy, and treks to the water/tea station on GSC are not always convenient. Plus, it's invaluable if you're exploring other parts of the island, where NCL doesn't have bar or food service. Also, who wants to buy bottled Evian water?

- There are no lockers on Great Stirrup Cay. If you bring cameras or other valuables, you'll have to keep track of them.

- Great Stirrup Cay used to be home to an Air Force satellite tracking station, and there are remnants of the military infrastructure beyond NCL's portion of the island.

- If you want to get away from the crowds on GSC, take the trail to the lighthouse and spend some time on the vacant military installation. But be warned: there's essentially no shade on the path out to the lighthouse. You'll want to cover up and carry some water with you.

- There are some nice reclining deck chairs at the far side of the beach, near the rock that juts out into the water (and on your left side, as you tender in).

- You are required to wear life vests (don't worry, they're not the big orange kind) when snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay. The vests are free; just sign them out at the dive shop.

- Lunch was an NCL-provided barbecue, with pizza, hot dogs, burgers, and lots of sides. There were plenty of dessert options: mostly baked goods and a fresh fruit salad. Iced tea and water were available, too.

- We heard folks complaining about the soda they got on the island. Apparently, it came in warm cans; they had to ask for cups of ice (and didn't always get them).

Also, I posted pics and more details (including info on the walk to the lighthouse) on that section of my site on the cruise at:

http://2006suncruise.com/travelogue.html#Day2

Hope this helps.

Jen.

Just came off the Spirit today; Great Stirrup Cay was relaxing! We got there in the evening; the mustic was great to either dance to or simply to listen to as we watched the waves crash. Plenty of people were in the water as well (the beach is lit up enough for this.) On the next morning, there were plenty of swimmers and sunworshippers; others were at the music, or reading a book in a shaded hammock, playing beach volleyball, etc. There was really something for everyone - to relax or be entertained.

At the risk of being redundant, here's what I posted about Great Stirrup Cay after a cruise there in March last year.

Ports - Great Stirrup Cay:

- Fill bottles with ice and water for Great Stirrup Cay. You'll want to have it handy, and treks to the water/tea station on GSC are not always convenient. Plus, it's invaluable if you're exploring other parts of the island, where NCL doesn't have bar or food service. Also, who wants to buy bottled Evian water?

- There are no lockers on Great Stirrup Cay. If you bring cameras or other valuables, you'll have to keep track of them.

- Great Stirrup Cay used to be home to an Air Force satellite tracking station, and there are remnants of the military infrastructure beyond NCL's portion of the island.

- If you want to get away from the crowds on GSC, take the trail to the lighthouse and spend some time on the vacant military installation. But be warned: there's essentially no shade on the path out to the lighthouse. You'll want to cover up and carry some water with you.

- There are some nice reclining deck chairs at the far side of the beach, near the rock that juts out into the water (and on your left side, as you tender in).

- You are required to wear life vests (don't worry, they're not the big orange kind) when snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay. The vests are free; just sign them out at the dive shop.

- Lunch was an NCL-provided barbecue, with pizza, hot dogs, burgers, and lots of sides. There were plenty of dessert options: mostly baked goods and a fresh fruit salad. Iced tea and water were available, too.

- We heard folks complaining about the soda they got on the island. Apparently, it came in warm cans; they had to ask for cups of ice (and didn't always get them).

Also, I posted pics and more details (including info on the walk to the lighthouse) on that section of my site on the cruise at:

http://2006suncruise.com/travelogue.html#Day2

Hope this helps.

Jen.

Thank you for that entry Jen. I read your posting about the cruise. You answered a lot of my questions.

Archived