Juneau, Skagway - need help quick

desiray

Hey there, having friends over tonight to figure out what tours we want to do and I'd like to hear your reviews.

In Juneau - There are so many different Mendenhall Glacier trips, can't decide if it's worth it. I'm leaning towards the Taku Glacier Jet Boat ride but need to know if both glaciers are the same. Also, we don't know whether to do the Mendenhall Glacier together with whale watching or just whale watching by itself.

In Skagway - we were wondering about the Skagway Extravanganza (Vision of the Seas excursion). It takes the train up the east side and then a motor coach down the west side and stops in Lairsville and has a salmon bake. Is it better to ride the train up AND back?

thanks for your quick response.

We are going on the Vision of the Seas on Sept 7th. We can't wait. Is it really that cold?

First of all you had better see if these excursions are available. Since your cruise is Sept. 7 that is very late to pick ship excursions. Hopefully you will have no trouble picking the ones you want.

marilyn

Hey there, having friends over tonight to figure out what tours we want to do and I'd like to hear your reviews.

In Juneau - There are so many different Mendenhall Glacier trips, can't decide if it's worth it. I'm leaning towards the Taku Glacier Jet Boat ride but need to know if both glaciers are the same. Also, we don't know whether to do the Mendenhall Glacier together with whale watching or just whale watching by itself.

In Skagway - we were wondering about the Skagway Extravanganza (Vision of the Seas excursion). It takes the train up the east side and then a motor coach down the west side and stops in Lairsville and has a salmon bake. Is it better to ride the train up AND back?

thanks for your quick response.

We are going on the Vision of the Seas on Sept 7th. We can't wait. Is it really that cold?

I am going to be on Vision on Friday (Aug. 31st).

Juneau - we are going to have lunch in town (I'm want Alaskan Crabs!), the make our way to Mendenhall Glacier. From there Harv & Marv are going to pick us up for whale watching and then drop us off at the ship.

Skagway - none of the ship's excursions thrilled me, so I booked a 6 hour excursion into the Yukon with Frontier Excursion ($99/person...Not bad!).

I made the whale watching excursion two months before and even then I couldn't get a departure time that I wanted. I'm going at 4.30pm but wanted to go earlier during the day. As for the Skagway excursion with Frontier, I made that reservation one month before sailing and there were a few spaces left for me and my family.

Just returned....

Juneau....visit Orca Enterprises website. Take the whale watch tour with Capt. Larry and add on the Mendenhall tour. His desk is across road at the end of the pier. 90% of the cost goes back to whale research and they will take drop you at Mendenhall after. Includes the shuttle back to town. Visit the Caribou Crossing giftshop below Orca Enterprises.

Skagway....Can't recommend the train. Neat to see, but if the mountain if foggy, you won't see much. And you can't stop to see wildlife or take pics. Recommend you contact Avis, rent a car and drive the Klondike Hwy across the summit to Carcross and Emerald Lake (a must see!). Lots of beautiful scenery and you can stop when you want. You can see the train from much of the road as it parallels the track. The rental car was $80 for the day and we still had time to shop in town. Don't forget to take your passports as you will go thru Canada and US checkpoints.

Let me know if you need more info.

In Skagway I highly recommend the Haines Jet Boat trip into the eagle preserve. Small tour boat takes you over to Haines, transfer to a bus for a short ride into the preserve, then small quiet jet boats take you WAY up the river. We saw moose, swans, and eagles all very close up. Wonderful wonderful trip. We booked ours through Holland America but I'm sure your ship has the same tour. Check it out!

Kate

In Skagway we used Chilkoot Charters. We took a van up and the train down. We liked being able to stop on the way up to take pictures. I think doing the train both ways might be a bit repetitive, IMHO.

Jamella

Of your Juneau choice, my opinion only, Taku Lodge is excellent, very beautiful flightseeing, great salmon.

I think the longer train/bus trips superior that get into the Yukon, but does require more time. You otherwise have a good choice. Liarsville, is a recreated Gold Camp, totally fake, but a good salmon bake. Sit on the LEFT side of the train, if you board in Skagway and continue on the LEFT side of the bus upon your return. Opposite, if reverse modes of travel.

I also suggest- don't look at everyone touring together. Split up depending on interests which with all adults is going to be different. Tours are too costly to consider with only a so so interest and too excellent to miss if of interest. :)

Archived