Water on Norwegian Cruise Line

Snoopsmom

No! Heck no! Water everywhere on the ship is free.

Now, if you are talking about bottled water, no that is not free. It is also not free anywhere on land that I know of.

The ship's regular tap water is excellent. It is made fresh, everyday! Better than bottled water in my opinion.

Someone critiqued a trip and said that one had to pay for water at meals. Now that is really nickle and diming one.

Two suggestions:

1. Don't believe every criticism you read here.

2. Don't complain about something until you experience it personally or at least confirm that what you're complaining about is really true.

The tap water is fine on all cruise ships. Relax.

Is it really true that one has to pay for water on Norwegian cruises at the dinning tables? Someone critiqued a trip and said that one had to pay for water at meals. Now that is really nickle and diming one.

....Although the bottled isn't free and is a bit higher than on shore. I usually stop in a dockside store the last thing before coming back from shore and bring my favorite bottled water with me. No cruise line has ever had an issue.

Remember that employees of competative cruise lines may post things that are dubious for other lines:( . NCL has always been very generous with what one gets for the price.:)

Filmguyd

Filmguyd

i see no point in getting bottled water on a ship other than for convenience. the ships water is similar to Dasani and Aquafina.

Evian (what they sell on the Spirit...i'm sure on all NCL ships, maybe?) is essentially spring water. not nearly as purified as what RO (reverse osmosis) water is in actuality.

i think i know a thing about water...i drink almost a gallon a day.

Is it really true that one has to pay for water on Norwegian cruises at the dinning tables? Someone critiqued a trip and said that one had to pay for water at meals. Now that is really nickle and diming one.

The above statement is true.

But then again, it is not.

It is true if you accepted BOTTLED water. It is false if you are referring to tap water.

One of the little things that lots of restaurants are doing these days are offering your bottle water and you say yes not knowing they are going to charge you for it.

Be warned.

One of the little things that lots of restaurants are doing these days are offering your bottle water and you say yes not knowing they are going to charge you for it.

I have not had this happen to me anywhere in the US. When I ask for water, I always receive a glass of water.

Now in other countries, this may not be the custom. I know in Latin America, the tap water is not great, so you ask for "Aqua Pura" and they bring you bottled water/

Be warned.

:confused:

Bottled water has been offered for YEARS in restaurants...and we all are aware that there is a charge for bottled water!

You just have to state that tap/house water is fine;)

I don't think that article says much about cruise ships. Have you seen the condition of some of the freightors out there? I'm sure some of them my have problems, but I am unaware of any such problem with a cruise ship.

Drinking bottled water onshore at a foreign port is always a good practice, but doing so on the ship is just a feel good exercise.

They always come to the table with the water pitcher and ask if you want ths ship's water or bottled.

We drink bottled at home because the water is way to chlorinated but the ships is fine.

Happy Cruising

Why I only drink bottled water aboard cruise ships:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1497646

A report about cruise ships internationally is one thing, how about posting a report about water on land internationally? How about a report about bad bottled water in the USA?

One of the main goals of the Greens is to ban small bottles of water in the USA. Do you really feel drinking bottled water in a petroleum product is really safe. Botttling plants have storage tanks and pipes too. Much of the bottles have been used before and cleaned by a machine. Are you sure the cleaning process by a machine is as clean as cleaning by a person? Do you trust machines?

Today's ships use the same reverse osmossis systems as bottling plants. So what is the difference?

Why I only drink bottled water aboard cruise ships:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1497646

surfgirl...not to slam you (you have always been supportive of my posts), but i have to just add my commentary.

having majored in biology (not bragging, just establishing my background) and having help on research regarding E. Coli O157H7 (the variety that was found in the Jack in the Box contamination in the early 90s)...while this information is helpful...it does nothing more than scare the "lay person".

this does not eliminate the probabilty of ANYTHING being contaminated. a person can hand you bottled water (but before that they probably sneezed in their hands). how about bottled water kept cool on ice at the carnival or state fair? i'm sure everyone has had their grubby hands in that ice. and why stop at water...how about your dinner?

the potential for cross contamination will always be there. personally i'd be more concerned about all people who use the restrooms and don't wash their hands...then hit the buffet line with the same set of tongs you are about to use.

and with the overkill on hand sanitizers...etc...etc. i think, we as a people, live in such a "sterile" environment that we are not as hearty as those from other countries. which may be a reason why we are susceptible to illness rather quickly. just my opinion.

I don't think that article says much about cruise ships. Have you seen the condition of some of the freightors out there? I'm sure some of them my have problems, but I am unaware of any such problem with a cruise ship.

Drinking bottled water onshore at a foreign port is always a good practice, but doing so on the ship is just a feel good exercise.

If you click on the pdf link within the link I provided:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1497646&blobtype=pdf

you'll find that the article is indeed inclusive of passenger ships. This is the second such article on the question of safety of water aboard cruise ships I've read lately.

surfgirl...not to slam you (you have always been supportive of my posts), but i have to just add my commentary.

having majored in biology (not bragging, just establishing my background) and having help on research regarding E. Coli O157H7 (the variety that was found in the Jack in the Box contamination in the early 90s)...while this information is helpful...it does nothing more than scare the "lay person".

this does not eliminate the probabilty of ANYTHING being contaminated. a person can hand you bottled water (but before that they probably sneezed in their hands). how about bottled water kept cool on ice at the carnival or state fair? i'm sure everyone has had their grubby hands in that ice. and why stop at water...how about your dinner?

the potential for cross contamination will always be there. personally i'd be more concerned about all people who use the restrooms and don't wash their hands...then hit the buffet line with the same set of tongs you are about to use.

and with the overkill on hand sanitizers...etc...etc. i think, we as a people, live in such a "sterile" environment that we are not as hearty as those from other countries. which may be a reason why we are susceptible to illness rather quickly. just my opinion.

Thank you for your thoughtful and expert advice. Much more helpful that scare tactics.

My Uncle Bruce received burns when he was a child, plus TB because of the fire. My Aunt Donna Bell boiled when she washed the dishes, every utensil, pot and pan during her dishwashing every day. Everyone in the family thought she overkilled, but we all understood why? She even boiled these items for him in our house when they visited.

You're not slamming me.. you're slamming a scientific study published in Pub Med

My Uncle Bruce received burns when he was a child, plus TB because of the fire. My Aunt Donna Bell boiled when she washed the dishes, every utensil, pot and pan during her dishwashing every day. Everyone in the family thought she overkilled, but we all understood why? She even boiled these items for him in our house when they visited.

In all politeness, what in the world are you talking about or referring to? Your comments are so out of context with the rest of the discussion, I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Archived