Zipline Juneau - Which Operator?

curry767

Which operator did you zip with?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which operator did you zip with?

• Alaska Zipline Adventures
    • Alaska Canopy Adventures

Hey Guys,

I have decided to go zipping in Juneau next August I am now trying to work out which operator to go with. From what I can see there are two operators:

Alaska Zipline Adventures

Cost: $115 per adult ($95 for under 12)

Duration: 3:30 hours

Ziplines: ?

Skybridges: ?

Longest Zip: ?

Average Height: ?

Alaska Canopy Adventures

Cost: ? (want bookings through cruise ship)

Duration: 3:15 hours

Ziplines: 10

Skybridges: 2

Longest Zip: 783ft

Average Height: 50ft

I'm looking for feedback from why you reckon the operator you went with is the best one.

Cheers

Curry

They're totally different tours. AK Canopy drops you off on the beach with a jet boat (similar to Orca and Dolphin's whale-watching boats) while AK Zipline involves a bus-ride both ways.

AK Canopy's course is closer to sea-level, and focuses quite a bit on the local gold rush history as you zip over and near remains of the Treadwell mine (not that you can see much of anything left...! ;-)

AK Zipline's course is higher altitude and gets you up by our ski-resort for some near-alpine (ahem!) views close to tree-line.

Personally, for the excitement of it all, my next zipline adventure will be in Hoonah/ISP rather than in Juneau. They're all quite fun!

-Case

Kept waiting for the folks who've actually been on the zip to answer, but I'll join CanCan in giving you a bit more info from a local.

AK Canopy's jet ride is just a quick trip across the channel; it's not as though you get a cheat of another tour. But then there's the chance to take a picture of your ship in port. (This seems to be important to cruisers. ;) ) Then you get one this big mule/jeep thing and roar up the side of the mountain.

I would totally agree that the woods/views for AK Zipline are much better than over the mine ruins. I prefer to walk the trail to see the ruins up close.

There was a thread with comments by some zippers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=547815

Just got back form Alaska and did Canopy Tours and loved it. I did not do the other one to compare, but really enjoyed the experience. It was 9 different lines including 2 suspension bridges. Highest line being 180 ft. Really in trees and several very long lines. I am even somewhat afraid of heights and really liked it. My husband thought it was awesome.

Thanks guys, that input is great.

I'm looking at the zipline tour to be a secondary tour to the whale watching, so I may have no choice depending on the times. I guess what I am looking for is more on the action side - I appreciate that there are probably better zips elsewhere but we have a free half day in Juneau so Juneau zipping it is.

I think you guys have talked me in AK Zipline.

Cheers

Curry

Thanks guys, that input is great.

I'm looking at the zipline tour to be a secondary tour to the whale watching, so I may have no choice depending on the times. I guess what I am looking for is more on the action side - I appreciate that there are probably better zips elsewhere but we have a free half day in Juneau so Juneau zipping it is.

I think you guys have talked me in AK Zipline.

Cheers

Curry

AZA had 7 ziplines, and one bridge. I did it last week and it was FABULOUS. The guides are great, the amount of people zipping at one time was small, the scenery was awesome. It was raining but under the trees we didn't even notice it. I don't know how long the longest zip is, but it was long enough to sit back and really take note of the land going by under me.

I don't know what the other zip is like, but I was really happy with AZA.

Linda

Archived