Caribbean QM2 IN UK PAPER

southwestie

My favorite quote from the article:

he spectacular arrival into Brooklyn harbour, which marked the end of our cruise, made up for it, though. We glided in at five in the morning and the view of a million lights glittering in the darkness took the breath away. When it comes to making an entrance, it doesn't get much better than this.

Anon from Brooklyn Red Hook! <G>

Grenada is a better-known Caribbean island, which I'd visited in 2003, the year before Hurricane Ivan claimed 39 lives, decimating 90 per cent of a beautifully lush oasis where the smell of spices hangs heavy in the air.

panic.gif Gaah! How can you DECIMATE 90% of something???? :rolleyes: Journo's and their verbs.....

The article started well, then shot through the rest with very little detail. Personally, I have never felt the need to go to the scarf tying classes. :p

Thanks for that....made interesting reading in particular about the jumping the customs Q ....:(

B

This writer must not travel a lot. Most airports have separate lines for residents/citizens of the country and for all other passengers. Sometimes your group has the longer line, sometimes not. She should take a shot at the line to go through nonresident immigration at Heathrow.

One of the things I like about flying into MAN is that most passengers are UK or EU, and the line for everyone else usually has a handful of Americans and we get through pronto.

Perhaps the writer said "decimating 90%" because she thinks that the 'deci' refers to the 10% that was left...

Kathy

This writer must not travel a lot. Most airports have separate lines for residents/citizens of the country and for all other passengers. Sometimes your group has the longer line, sometimes not. She should take a shot at the line to go through nonresident immigration at Heathrow.

One of the things I like about flying into MAN is that most passengers are UK or EU, and the line for everyone else usually has a handful of Americans and we get through pronto.

Perhaps the writer said "decimating 90%" because she thinks that the 'deci' refers to the 10% that was left...

Kathy

The writer knows this, it was dry wit:) :) :D funny to read:rolleyes: sarcastic writing lol

panic.gif Gaah! How can you DECIMATE 90% of something???? :rolleyes: Journo's and their verbs.....

If you decimate 90% of something you remove 9% of the total. You Mancunians are so pedantic LOL

No you don't. To decimate is to reduce by a factor of 10.

So if you decimate 90% of something you are left with 19%.

Matthew

Matthew,

Decimation was a Roman punishment for cowardly legions and cohorts. They drew lots and 1 man in 10 was beaten to death by his comrades, with no weapons.

If you decimated 90% of something, you would have 81% left standing.

So less than 10% would be destroyed, not really devastation if you ask me

Archived