Lilikoi Chiffon Pie

mii

Years ago while on Kauai we stopped in a cafe to have lunch and for dessert we had this absolutely wonderful pie. It was called Lilikoi Chiffon Pie. Since then we have been back to Hawaii many times but could never find that kind of pie on any of the other islands. I did do a search and found a recipe but I am wondering if anyone knows some places where this pie is served. We will be coming to Hawaii on a cruise Nov. 3. We will be on the islands of Hawaii, Kauai, Maui and Oahu.

Any help would be appreciative.

marilyn

Thank you very much for that info Hilo. Now we did not have it there. We had the pie at Hanapepe in a coffee shp there but this is much closer to the pier than over on the western side of the island. Thanks for the pic. Both my DH and I said at the same time "that is it". It is so good it hurts.:D Hopefully we can get there to have a piece but we have an excursion that picks us up at 9:30 and drops us off at the ship at 3:30p.m. Oh well it was a terrific memory. Again I thank you.

Marilyn

For all of us who can't go there for a while, I found this recipe....

But back to that pie. You can use frozen passion-fruit juice (use pure passion fruit, not a blend) or fresh lilikoi juice, if you have access to the fruit. You would probably have to sweeten the juice a bit. To make guava chiffon pie, use guava juice concentrate instead.

PASSION FRUIT CHIFFON PIE

4 eggs, separated

1 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup passion-fruit concentrate or fresh lilikoi juice

1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin

1/4 cup cold water

1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

9-inch one-crust pie shell

1/2 cup whipping cream

Beat egg yolks until thick. Add 1/2 cup sugar, salt and juice. In a medium saucepan, cook over low heat until thickened. Do not allow to boil; if you have an instant-read thermometer, keep temperature at about about 150 degrees. When thickened, remove from heat.

Soften gelatin in cold water; stir into egg-yolk mixture until dissolved. Add lemon rind and allow mixture to cool. Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually beating in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Fold egg-yolk mixture into stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into pastry shell; chill until firm. Whip heavy cream to garnish pie. Makes 8 servings.

Per serving: 300 calories, 13 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 125 mg cholesterol, 280 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 33 g sugar, 5 g protein

Thanks vfin for the recipe. I really appreciate it. I am going to have to make it although it will probably not be the same considering the first time I had that pie was in Hawaii and we had such a good memory of it. Again thank you very much.

Marilyn

I think I just added another must do to our day in Kauai!!!

YUM-O! Yep, that pie is yummy, BUT their saimin is the absolute best. Have a bbq beef or chicken skewer too.

Been way too long....gotta get back there!:)

Archived