Carry on baggage

alonzo14

I haven't cruised since the latest changes so I have a question about certain items to be carried on the plane. Can you put in your carryon without the 3oz restrictions the following items: Mascara, Powedered eye shadow, mineral type powder foundation, moist face or sanitizing towlettes, face powder, lipsick or gloss?

I appreciate cruise critic and the valueable info one can get here as well as the many nice folk.

I haven't cruised since the latest changes so I have a question about certain items to be carried on the plane. Can you put in your carryon without the 3oz restrictions the following items: Mascara, Powedered eye shadow, mineral type powder foundation, moist face or sanitizing towlettes, face powder, lipsick or gloss?

I appreciate cruise critic and the valueable info one can get here as well as the many nice folk.

You can take anything that is powder based but your mascara, lipstick, moisterizer or liquid type stuff has to be the the one quart (litre) ziplock bag. The items can't be more then 3 oz. You can take the sanitizing towelettes and it doesn't have to be in your ziplock but stuff like purell needs to be in your ziplock. Again the purell can't be more then 3 oz. Does this make sense?

You can take anything that is powder based but your mascara, lipstick, moisterizer or liquid type stuff has to be the the one quart (litre) ziplock bag. The items can't be more then 3 oz. You can take the sanitizing towelettes and it doesn't have to be in your ziplock but stuff like purell needs to be in your ziplock. Again the purell can't be more then 3 oz. Does this make sense?

And the size is based on the jar/bottle and must be marked. A woman in front of me this weekend tried to take in a bottle of glue in a larger bottle telling the agent there was less than 3 oz left. She then said she'd go empty it into a baggie but I don't think she heard him say it had to be in a 3 oz or less container. We were rushing to catch our flight so didn't have a chance to stay and see what she tried to come back with.

Here's the link to the official TSA site http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#1

Thanks for this info. I am glad I don't have to put my cleansing pads or eye makeup remover pads in my zip lock pad for the plane. All powder items are ok and you do not have to put them in the ziplock. But lipsticks and mascara do have to be in the bag. I carry all my mineral based cosmetics and brushes in their own travel bag in my carryon and have never been questioned about them yet. Have a super cruise.

Thanks so much supercruiser. You all have answered a big question that will make knowing how to pack so much easier.

Yes, I think this will be a super cruise for us. We are celebrating our 35th anniversary. We have booked an aft wraparound suite. Some of my husbands coworkers are also going on this cruise so we will be having an Anniversary party in our beautiful suite!!!!!!!

One more noteable thing about liquids and carry-ons!

When you're on your way home, make sure you put any liquor you may have purchased into your CHECKED luggage, because you can't carry it on with you anymore. My parents dragged a fine bottle of port wine most of their trip only to have it taken at the airport; they had tried to carry it on, forgetting the 3 oz rule. :mad:

I live in Canada, and it's my understanding that your liquids must be in containers of 100 millilitres or less, to a maximum of 1000 millilitres total, or 1 litre. Sorry, I don't know the conversion to ounces, but for example one travel size shampoo is about 50 mil. And they all have to be in one small ziploc bag. And it won't work if the bottle is only partially full. I had a toothpaste tube with a capacity of 130 mil but I had used half of it in preparation for the trip. No go - they took it from me. Most people leave their heart in San Francisco, instead I left my toothpaste there!

Hong Kong airport had the proper size ziploc bags in dispensers all over the airport for people to take. I'm not sure if any other airports might have the same thing.

You can only have 1 quart bag with the 3oz containers

I know it is a 1 quart bag that you have to use but how many of the bags can you have? Is there a limit.

Why do they have to be in the bag anyway.

I know it is a 1 quart bag that you have to use but how many of the bags can you have? Is there a limit.

Yes, ONE 1-qt bag per passenger. :)

Why do they have to be in the bag anyway.

Because TSA says so! :D (It's actually to limit the total number of 3-oz containers you can bring.)

Yes, ONE 1-qt bag per passenger. :)

What????? :eek: :eek: Oh no! I have way to much stuff. I need more then one bag. YIKES! Better go unpack some stuff. :mad:

Thanks for telling me. I would have been upset at the airport if I didn't know.

Joanne

What????? :eek: :eek: Oh no! I have way to much stuff. I need more then one bag. YIKES! Better go unpack some stuff. :mad:

Thanks for telling me. I would have been upset at the airport if I didn't know.

Joanne

Oh isn't it just a barrell of fun to travel these days! I hope they never limit liquids in the checked bags. I have liquid medication (non prescription) that I can't live without. I have to pack duplicates in each suitcase and also in pill form in case both suitcases go missing. It's a huge pain.

Ok so will this work?

I put all my meds in one of the quart bags, all my sundries in one of the quart bags and then in the 3rd bag I put stuff like high lighter, night light, tooth brush and stuff like that. No liquids. Then I have a 1st aid kit that I bought with stuff in it but no liquids. Does that need to be in a quart bag?

I've heard that air travel has gotten bad but I've never had to go through this before so it's all new.

Rather then a carry on bag I'm bringing a back pack. Will that be ok? Do they take everything out now and check it or just run it through the x ray machine and only search if they see something odd?

Joken: You may only take one 1 quart zipper bag in your carryon luggage, be it back pack or whatever you want to carry onto the plane. Any liquids, gels or creams that you want to pack in your carryon MUST be in that bag and they must be in 3 oz or less containers. You do not have to limit your liquids in your checked luggage. If you are bringing a prescribed liquid medication then that may fit into the guidelines of items excluded from the rule. Check the TSA website for the most up to date information. Have a super cruise.

I live in Canada, and it's my understanding that your liquids must be in containers of 100 millilitres or less, to a maximum of 1000 millilitres total, or 1 litre. Sorry, I don't know the conversion to ounces, but for example one travel size shampoo is about 50 mil. And they all have to be in one small ziploc bag. And it won't work if the bottle is only partially full. I had a toothpaste tube with a capacity of 130 mil but I had used half of it in preparation for the trip. No go - they took it from me. Most people leave their heart in San Francisco, instead I left my toothpaste there!
100 ml is 3.38 ounces. 1 liter is approximately 1.06 quarts.

A container's capacity, not its contents, is what dictates the size limit. When I flew out of Japan and China recently it was permissible to have as many bottles with a 100 mililiter capacity that would fit into a 1 liter zip-lock bag. Whether the TSA would be a stickler on these sizes is not something I'd want to find out at an airport security screening. Maybe you can find all the items you need in 75 or 90 milliliter containers to be on the safe side.

As an engineer, I much prefer metric units of measure. A liter of water weighs one kilogram, occupies a cube 10 centimeters on each side, freezes at 0 degrees C and boils at 100C. What could be simpler? Conversely, a gallon of water weights about 8 pounds, occupies 231 cubic inches, freezes at 32 degrees F and boils at 212F. Sheesh! Sooner or later the United States will join the rest of the world, with the exception of Libya and Burma, and adopt SI units across the board.

Bill

Ok so will this work?

I put all my meds in one of the quart bags, all my sundries in one of the quart bags and then in the 3rd bag I put stuff like high lighter, night light, tooth brush and stuff like that. No liquids. Then I have a 1st aid kit that I bought with stuff in it but no liquids. Does that need to be in a quart bag?

I've heard that air travel has gotten bad but I've never had to go through this before so it's all new.

Rather then a carry on bag I'm bringing a back pack. Will that be ok? Do they take everything out now and check it or just run it through the x ray machine and only search if they see something odd?

You only need the 1 quart bag for your liquids and gels. Anything else doesnt need to be in one. You are only permitted 1 1-quart bag. It has to go through x-ray separately...you cant leave it in your backpack. If you do, they will stop you and search your whole backpack. Best to take it out and put it in its own tray for the X-ray. There will be plenty of signs there telling you what to do, or you can check the TSA website.

OK so let me get this straight. When I get to the xray machine I should take out the quart bag that has all my liquids and gels in it and then it gets xrayed alone. I will put my backpack through the xray machine with the other bags of meds (pills) and toothbrush and stuff inside. So I should be ok right?:confused:

I guess if worse comes to worse they can just go through the backpack and see everything is ok.

I just want to carry everything in my backpack that I will need in case my luggage gets lost. :eek:

I will also pack a change of clothes in there so if anything should happen at least I will have what I wear and another change of clothes that I can use until the first port comes and I do some shopping.

See I figure if I plan real good and cover everything in case my luggage gets lost then it won't. It only does when we don't plan. Isn't that the truth :p

... with the other bags of meds (pills) and toothbrush and stuff inside.
Pills, powers, toothbrush, night light, etc, etc, do not have to be in plastic bags, although you may bag them if you want to. Only liquids and gels have to be in the one 1-qt bag.

OK so let me get this straight. When I get to the xray machine I should take out the quart bag that has all my liquids and gels in it and then it gets xrayed alone. I will put my backpack through the xray machine with the other bags of meds (pills) and toothbrush and stuff inside. So I should be ok right?:confused:

Yes, that is exactly right. You will be fine!

Thanks everyone. I know I sound pretty dumb here. I have traveled before. Really :D it just seems like I haven't.

I wanted to be sure everything was ok as I didn't want to hold up the line. Nothing is worse then waiting in a long line and then being held up longer because someone does something they shouldn't.

So thanks.

Is there a limit as to how many plastic bags you bring filled with the small size of things?

From the DHS website:

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

JoKen1: Plesase don't feel dumb!! The TSA changes the rules occaionally although it seems more often now. This is why I asked about what is acceptable as I haven't traveled since these changes and more.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable inforamtion!!

Archived