Alaska, 3 questions

togachisan

I am thinking about Alaska this Sept.04

1. Since Alaska is not warm in Sept. does it matter if it is an oceanview stateroom or balcony? Is not it a little cold to enjoy the balcony cruising Alaska in September?

2. Would you pick the Summit (Celebrity) or Serenade (RCCL)? The itinerary is almost identical.

3. Is there a risk to get a guaranteed room that is not assigned? Do they place you in the worst room?

Thank you in advance.

Hi there .. a group of us are sailing Summit 17 Sept. The countdown has started!

1 - Balcony / no balcony. My preference is always for balcony. SUre it may be slightly chilly but you can't beat the fresh air in the cabin. It's true that you don't spend a HEAP of time in your cabin - but the time you DO have there is more comfortable with a balcony. It also make the cabin look larger which may only be a perception. But you know what they say, perception is reality. I guess ultimately it comes down to price and how much you want to pay.

2 - Guarantee? Go for it. No .. you don't necessarily get the 'worst' cabin, in fact you have a better chance of being upgraded although the upgrade isn't "guaranteed". It's a risk but one I think is worth taking. I mean .. you are guaranteed to get the category you booked in .. so you can't really go wrong.

Hope that helps!!

Phil

We sailed Alaska last August (ignore the typo below) and yes it was cool. That being said, we enjoyed our balcony thoroughly! Celebrity provides blankets for the balconys and decks on Alaska cruises, and the balcony is a great get away from the crowds on deck. Escpecially when viewing the glaciers and landscape. Order a hot beverage to your room and enjoy!

As you can probalby tell, my preference is Celebrity. It is a more elegant, relaxed ship. if you prefer non-stop parties and family type atmospheres, RCCL may suite better.

Celebrity rarely upgrades guarantees, and it is quite possible that you will get the least desirable cabin. Never get a GTY unless you would be satisfied with whatever the worst you could get. To me it's worth the extra $50 or so to get a cabin I know I'll like.

I would agree that if you can afford a balcony, you will use it. They give you wool blankets to keep warm, and it's really lovely to cuddle up and drink coffee on a private balcony.:)

Regarding the ship--I've only been on Summit, but I can't imagine a better ship. Everything about it is about as close to perfect as you can get. Many Celebrity fans consider it their favorite ship.:cool:

"Since Alaska is not warm in Sept. does it matter if it is an oceanview stateroom or balcony? "

The view doesn't change just because the temperature does! I wouldn't sail without a balcony -- even to Antarctica.

The last time I cruised I was 28. That was 20 years ago. I picked the wrong cruise and hated it. So, please excuse me if I ask some stupid questions.

Do you think the families will be cruising Alaska on the Serenade in September?

I live in Southern California. Do you recommend a particular travel agency or should I make a booking on the internet? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Thank you.

The first week of September I believe there would be a fair number of children, but in Alaska you hardly notice. There is so much to do OFF the ship that you may not even see kids if you have late seating. (As opposed to Caribbean cruises, where kids spend all day splashing in the pool on deck).

If you asked about a travel agent 2 weeks ago, I would have suggested an on-line discount agency to save money. However, as of last week RCL changed its rules and now all T/A's are required to charge the same amount, so my advice would be to find a local knowledgable T/A who can provide you with the additional service you need.

We were on Celebrity Galaxy to Alaska in 2000 for the last cruise of the season (late Sept.) and the ports were quite warm (upper 60s at times). We found that a sweatshirt was warm enough in port most days. So don't worry about temps; if you're going to use it, get the balcony. We had a windowed cabin and regretted not having the balcony to see all the whales better when we were out to sea.

As far as cruiselines, we've found that Celebrity is the best by far for service. Our Alaskan cruise was 15 days (1 week in Alaska followed by 1 week down the West coast). We had nothing but perfect service and an incredible experience.

We're booked on the Summit 9/10/04, if you catch our sailing look us up. We've planned for every type of weather, shorts to rain gear, flip flops to boots, sweats to Tuxs, no matter what these two (ex)boy scouts will be prepared! And from all the feedback we opted for the Celebrity pampering...

Kevin

LINE - I completely agree with previous posters. Having taken cruises on both Celebrity and RCCL, I would choose Celebrity without a pause. Of course they are the same company, but the service, food, decor, and passenger mix is much more my preference on Celebrity.

CABIN -I go both ways (well, room wise) between outside and balcony. I would always choose a longer cruise in an outside cabin over a shorter in a balcony. If you can afford it you will enjoy the balcony UNLESS your next door neighbor smokes cigars, has a 30 year old hacking cough, or shares his more intimate times on his balcony...and yes....I have had all of these nextdoor.

KIDS -Always worse on RCCL...doubtful there will be many on your Alaska cruise...they usually congregate on warmer climate cruises. Agree on the late seating. Besides, it is not the ## of children, it is the caliber of the parents..enough said on that one...

Whatever you choose you will have a fabulous time!

Archived