What is "upsell"?

Shir Hayam

Here's the definition: Up-sell is a marketing term for the practice of suggesting higher priced products or services to a customer who is considering a purchase. An up-sell offer is typically for a better version of the same product or service you are considering, such as a gym membership with more privileges, or a faster computer. The most ubiquitous example of up-sell is likely the oft-spoken (if ungrammatical) fast food phrase: "Would you like to biggie-size that?"

A related practice, cross-sell, involves suggesting additional items to a customer making a purchase.

I'm in software sales and hear this word at least 30 times a day. :D

In the context of cruising, an upsell is the offer of an upgraded cabin or suite for additional compensation (as opposed to a free upgrade). After the final payment deadline, many lines will attempt to fill their ships by upselling existing passengers to better accomodations and filling up their existing lower-end digs with passengers purchasing last minute discounts.

There many theories on what factors may enhance the likelihood that you will be visited by the 'upsell fairy'.

P.

As I understand the process, you can only upsell where there are better accomodations that are still available after the final payment deadline. The cruise line then tries to run with a full ship by moving existing passengers up to higher priced units and suites (and offering deals on insides).

We're leaving for Hawaii in 3 weeks and was upsold from a mini-suite to a penthouse. Our mini was then offered to someone else (who likely had booked only a balcony), which balcony was then offered to someone else who was in an inside or outside view cabin. In each case, the 'upsell fairy' contacts you or your TA (if you used a TA to book) and offers to upgrade your cabin for an additional amount. For example, they might offer the bigger/better cabin for an extra $100 or $200 or $300 per person, depending on the improvement. You can turn them down (or counter-offer) and you may or may not hear from the upsell fairy again. There is someone on our current roll call who took an upsell from a balcony to a mini-suite a month or so ago and then was offered another upsell this week. They ended up taking it and will be sailing in an aft penthouse for a fraction of the cost of booking it directly now. It all depends on how the expensive cabins/suites are selling.

Someone much more knowledgeable than myself (a guy by the shore) has suggested that the upsell fairy is the crack dealer of the cruising world: once you've sailed in a penthouse with full butler service and all the perks its hard to go back to an inside.

P.

Regarding pangean's post, since thus is the HAL board I'd like to point out that HAL does not offer butler service in its PH suites.

Pangean is on my roll call.

I think Pangean knew that but he is sailing on the Norwegian Sun this September & took an upsell to a Penthouse suite & does have a butler.

As a matter of fact I know of 2 different people on the roll call that took upsells to Penthouse suites.

I think I will go hang out in their suites & let their butler serve me:D !

I am new at all this and am still learning the ins and outs...

Do you try to obtain an upgrade or a potential "upsell" (where you pay extra for the better cabin) by calling your TA and having them check with HAL or do you just hope and wait that you may get the call?

What have the rest of you done and what have you had success with?

Thanks so much for any input :)

Know the specific cabin class you'd like to upsell to and about two to three weeks out have your TA call HAL to see if an upsell is available.

Seems to be hit and miss at times. The fact that we were upsold twice for one sailings leads me to believe that the ship may not be full.

Yes, these are NCL cruises. I have no idea how HAL or others operate. I have heard of people arriving at the pier (for Princess & RCCL) and getting a complimentary upgrade, but that rarely happens.

Good luck.

Archived