Using Great Lakes Scrip Fundraising Certificates

doctordi

My children's school sells gift certificates that they buy from glscrip. Under the travel section, Carnival is listed. Has anyone used these before? They seem to be different from the Fun Ship Dollars that can be used for any purchases. The information states that they can not be used for onboard purchases. Anyone have any experience with these?

I used these to purchase our upcoming cruise on Triumph. First I booked the trip with a Carnival PVP and secured the deposit with my credit card. Then, I ordered the total amount due on the scrip Fun Ship dollars. I sent these into Carnival at the time of final payment, then I had my PVP give me OBC for the credit card deposit I had initially put down. These scrip fun ship dollars can only be used for your deposit/cruise fees. They cannot be used for OBC, excursion or anything else. Enjoy your cruise!

I used them for my upcoming cruise and had a little bit of trouble with them. I originally booked my cruise in March through a PVP and, like the previous poster, put it on my credit card. Later, I found out that my kids' school sold them - so I bought them to pay off the balance. When I called to make the payment, they told me that they are only valid for cruises booked through the special department that handles the Script dollars (the number is on the certificate). After I explained to them that no one at any point said that it had to be booked through a special department (and kind of complained), then they got a supervisor to approve them. I had to send the certs in with a delivery confirmation. It was confirmed that they were received the very next day - but it took them a week to "find" them and apply them to my booking. I had to make SEVERAL calls and really get on them to find them and apply them to the correct booking.

Long story short - I will never use them again. Instead, I will just make a generous donation to the school.

Good luck if you decide to use them - just make sure to call first.

Ashley :)

...- but it took them a week to "find" them and apply them to my booking. I had to make SEVERAL calls and really get on them to find them and apply them to the correct booking.

Long story short - I will never use them again. Instead, I will just make a generous donation to the school.

Good luck if you decide to use them - just make sure to call first.

Ashley :)

Thanks for the info - I have been wondering about these. My kids school has them on the list as well. The % back wasn't too bad. Our school splits the %-back with us (50% to the school and 50% to our tuition account).

Has anyone called the booking number on the certificates? Do they have the same prices and specials? Are they part of carnival or some TA?

Thanks everyone for all of the info. I was planning to use them to make the final payment for my next cruise (would have meant $80 to the school) but it sounds too complicated to deal with. I wish that our school would split the savings on the gift certificates with us - I might be tempted to use them more than I do.

I did not find them at all difficult to use. Yes, you have to send them certified mail, but that was the only extra step involved. Assuming we love our first cruise, I would not hesitate to use them again. After all, we are paying ourselves back and helping our school (we get 100% back into our school account once a child hits middle school HOORAY!) Seems silly not to use them if they are available to you:)

I received a scrip from a school program. I called my PVP when booking my cruise, told her about it, mailed it certified mail, and it was credited to my account balance. It was no problem to use. She told me it could not be used for a deposit, just the balance.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
I was wondering if anyone has used these "Fun Ship Scrip Dollars" recently. I have an email in to my PVP but thought I'd check here too. Thank you!

I too, was thinking about purchasing these as well this year. Did they work for you? did you first purchase through a pvp?

thanks!

nice bumping from a topic thats about 4 years old...yikes oO

Well, in case you didn't notice, there have been more recent ones, not just mine ......I guess you didn't see the one from May....yikes oO :rolleyes:

and....if I started a new thread on this topic, someone would have said...search the topics, why did you start this one again.....d**ned if you do, d**ned if ya don't....it's a no win. Thanks for being so kind and helpful...*karma*

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered that our school scrip program has Carnival listed. It's too early to call Carnival so thought I'd ask here. Since they are not to be used for on ship purchases, can you "overpay" with scrip and get your previous credit card/check payments credited for on board?

Just discovered that our school scrip program has Carnival listed. It's too early to call Carnival so thought I'd ask here. Since they are not to be used for on ship purchases, can you "overpay" with scrip and get your previous credit card/check payments credited for on board?

nope- you can not do that-

Was my question last week- (before I was making a final payment. The lady said-- sent in the certificate- allow a few weeks for it to be applied-- then make the final payment.

So now I sit and wait for the amount to be applied.

Scripts are nice- gave my grand daughter a total of $4.00 towards to tuition for my 100 script card- but the hassle of waiting a few weeks for it to be applied-- (I' am better off giving her the 4.00.)

I paid for most of the next cruise with the Cruise Dollars from the giftcertificates dot com site. The only issue I experienced was trying to get OBC when the price dropped. Carnival said no since the certificates state can not be used for any on board purchases. I did get them to do an upgrade instead. So in the end I was happy.

Archived