“Cruise to Dunn's River Falls” Tour Question

I tried this question in the Ports of Call Board for Jamaica but didn't get a reply, I hope someone here can help:

Has anyone taken the RCCL shore tour simply called “Cruise to Dunn’s River Falls” at Ocho Rios?

According to RCCL’s website, this is not the Reggae Baby party boat to the falls, or the “Ultimate Yacht” Cruise, or the Sonara Trimaran Cruise. They don’t have a picture of the boat with the description.

The Description in the shore tours is:

“Enjoy the Jamaican hospitality onboard a specially designed motor yacht. Once at Dunn's River Falls, you'll have ample time to climb the 600-foot cascade or simply relax on the beach below. Dunn's River Falls entrance ticket and complimentary beverages are included.”

What kind of boat is it? Does anyone know who operates it? What was your experience like?

We are looking for a non-snorkel, not stuffy, but not crazed boat tour that includes drinks other than the rum punch. It doesn't necessarily need to go to the falls and we do not snorkel.

If anyone else has any ideas on something that would fit the bill, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cathy

The boat (last time we were there) was a large boat similar to the ones used for Large Charter Fishing trips with an upper deck. They offer juice etc on the way from the Pier down inside the reef to a small dock near Dunn's River. Short walk from the dock to the bottom of the falls. Take old sneaks or water shoes for the climb and take your camera. The guides are pretty good with the camera and somehow they can remember which camera belongs to whom. No it was not a Catamaran where everyone comes back plaster on 150 proof rum.

I'm pretty sure this is the same excursion we went on when we cruised on Voyager a few years ago. The boat was a large yacht with a salon below deck and a covered open air deck upstairs. We got on at the pier where Voyager was docked and cruised to Dunns River Falls. It was actually a nice cruise, they played reggae music and had everyone dancing. The drinks were definitely rum punch though, and not very strong. The "guides" on the boat offered hair braiding for a fee and they also sold Jamaican coffee. I thought the sales pitch was a little pushy but in retrospect it was tame compared to what you walk into when you get off at the top of the Falls. The tour includes another guide who walks everyone up to the top of the Falls where he/she will abandon you to the locals. Then you make your own way back down to the beach and the boat. As excursions go I've been on better but.. the Falls are beautiful!!

Hope that helps!

There are lots cheaper ways to do the same tour. We took this and it was way overpriced. We got one Dixie cup of warmish punch on the way over. The 'cruise'- well that's a generous description- takes about 15 minutes.

There was no party atmosphere on board- the crew tried to get everyone up to dance on the way back but only a few got up.

Would I do it again? I would go to the falls,but on this cruise... No way

Archived