Can you not have your name announced?

flagger

No, They will insist you tell them your name and frisk you for your passport if you don't give in!

Ha! Ha! I'm just kidding of course! You'll probably make the crew feel a little awkward for a moment but you certainly are not required to have your name announced. You could tell them any name you want, for that matter. There aren't really a lot of people around anyway because the flow of traffic has folks moving around the corner and on to other parts of the ship.

Some people gave fake names last week. We heard all kinds of stuff, first names, last names, pet names, etc. So, you could either make up a name or say no thank-you. Honestly, there is so much going on that moment, that we didn't hear one other person get announced (let alone ourselves!).

secret families, secret doors, oh my!:eek:

Bill

LMAO

I think the bigger issue people make the bigger issue it is.

RCL has celebrities on the larger ships all the time, have seen them and no one makes an issue.

no worries:)

LMAO

I think the bigger issue people make the bigger issue it is.

no worries:)

Exactly, just give a fake name and move on. You'll call more attention to yourself by refusing to go with the flow. (But perhaps that's what the OP really wants)

The reasons for not wanting a name broadcast over the ships public address system are solely the domain of the OP and should be respected as such. If this was not a serious matter, I do not except that the OP would have created this thread. Some of the replies to date have been casual and I say to you that you should be grateful that you do not need to take extra precautions just so that you and your family can enjoy a vacation.

One of the reasons that we have moved to cruising is that it is a more secure environment and the cruise lines tend to make an extra effort to insure privacy. In fact, it was Disney themselves that first mentioned the idea of not announcing our presence on the ship.

I had previously asked the OP about category selection because C1 thru C3 passengers can be met by the concierge staff who will direct you past the photo line and directly on to the ship to a private gathering. At this point you can make any issues known to the staff such as no photos, etc….and they can make sure to accommodate your requests. You can also talk directly with security, and the Oceaners Club staff.

If you are C4 or above, ask to speak with the desk manager. Explain the situation and clearly state your needs. Disney is very good at this sort of thing and you should be in very good hands.

I say to you that you should be grateful that you do not need to take extra precautions just so that you and your family can enjoy a vacation.

Yes, I’m not outrageously wealthy, a public figure, a celebrity, or criminal. (Or any combination thereof.)

After our third DCL cruise we had no interest anymore with the embarkation photos and such we just walked right past them from the gangplank into the atrium, they don't care, there are so many people waiting to hear their name announced the cast memeber was probably happy to skip one.

After our third DCL cruise we had no interest anymore with the embarkation photos and such we just walked right past them from the gangplank into the atrium, they don't care, there are so many people waiting to hear their name announced the cast memeber was probably happy to skip one.

I thought when you walked the gangplank it was generally in the other direction and over the side of the ship.:D

Bill

We are DVC members and I always tear up when they say welcome home Mrs...... Of course they aren't yelling it across the lobby....although secretly I can't wait for them to do it on our Jan. cruise.

Flagger...I am certain that if you are polite and ask, they will just by-pass the entire thing for you.

Have a great trip.

I'm sure DCL will accomodate.

As for people making fun of the OP? Yeah, well, everyone has their own issues to deal with... you may not think it's a big deal to have your name announced... but let's say your last name was Spielberg or Hilton or Jolie-Pitt - or something else that might get people to turn around and you happened to be that Spielberg or those Hiltons or Jolie-Pitts and just wanted a nice, quiet, family cruise without all of the hubbub?

Seriously... wouldn't you want to protect the privacy of your kids?

That said - OP? if you don't want it announced, and you aren't doing concierge, I'd just say either tell them "thanks, we don't want to be announced - now where is XXX?" or just tell them "Smith."

I'm sure DCL will accomodate.

As for people making fun of the OP? Yeah, well, everyone has their own issues to deal with... you may not think it's a big deal to have your name announced... but let's say your last name was Spielberg or Hilton or Jolie-Pitt - or something else that might get people to turn around and you happened to be that Spielberg or those Hiltons or Jolie-Pitts and just wanted a nice, quiet, family cruise without all of the hubbub?

Seriously... wouldn't you want to protect the privacy of your kids?

That said - OP? if you don't want it announced, and you aren't doing concierge, I'd just say either tell them "thanks, we don't want to be announced - now where is XXX?" or just tell them "Smith."

My name IS the name of a celebrity although that person's name isn't her given name.....anyway, while i don't mind a hotel's staff saying welcome miss xxxx, I don't want them shouting it across the lobby....'oh hey, julia roberts is here...' like they did in san juan at the courtyard a few years back....(ok so tht isn't my name)

..and having the name of a famous person is a pain....every time i make a reservaiton they say.."oh i bet you get that every day"..i do! so please stop! i am much nicer than the famous person!!!

Archived