Navigator v. Carnival Victory

hopebh

I am currently holding reservations for a 5 day cruise on RCCL Navigator of the Seas (12/17) and a 7 day cruise on Carnival Victory (12/09) and I can’t decide which one to cancel. We (my mother, husband, 15 year old son and me) go on an annual cruise every December.

Which would you choose?

Navigator is a voyager class which means the Royal Promanade in down the center of the ship open mall type area 4 decks high and they have an Ice Skating rink & show.

So it depends on your preference on the itinerary. You have been on both lines so you know the pros & cons of both lines. You are only going to get opinions mostly of those who are die hard RCL fans on this thread. May be like going to the Democratic Convention and asking their opinion of Demoractis vs Republicans

Since I have never tried Carnival thanks to my parents who have went on them and never ever ever would go back, I would go on the Navigator. It is a great ship, nice staff, great food, great ship. You have the Royal Promenade, Rock Wall, Ice rink with show, three tier dining room, Solarium, johnny rockets, chops and portofino, and probably a great itinerary, although I'm not quite sure of her 5 night itinerary.

What's important to you? Itinerary, ship, cruise line?

I myself have been on both ships and the Victory cannot hold a candle to the Navigator. The Navigator remains one of my all time favorite ships. I have photos in my link below of both ships.

For me I pick ship over itinerary in most cases and in this case RCI would win.

We took the Carnival Victory and were not that pleased with the service. It was ok, but definitely not up to Royal standards.

My vote would be for the Navigator. Having done both cruise lines now, we have decided that Royal Caribbean is definitely worth spending our money on.

My first cruise was on the Victory in May 2006 and I had a wonderful time. My first RCI cruise isn't until May 2008, so I can't really compare but the Victory is a nice ship.

The Victory didn't seem to have the "party ship" atmosphere that I had expected Carnival to have. Yes, people drank but I didn't notice anything too crazy. The staff were friendly and polite and the pizza was WONDERFUL.

There wasn't a lot of shopping on board, the shows were okay at best, and some decks didn't go all the way from front to back. That made navigating the ship a little difficult for the first few days.

Personally the itinerary is more important than the ship, but I would make a pros/cons list for both and see which one you have more pros for. :)

I've done both and loved both ,but the navigator is just outta sight the carnival victory is really nice depends on what you can afford or willing to spend and how long you want it to last ,but if you want the wow factor in your vacation you must do the navigator

Ive never been on either but have been on Voyager and said "the kids would love this" @ 100 times to DH. My DS, 16 and DD 15 will be so surprised and I cant wait to see their faces when they take in the sheer size of the NOS. As for the Victory, interestingly my TA is booking a group cruise that I plan on surprising my DH w/ next Nov. She is going to decide between the AOS 7night S. Carrib. or the Victory 7night-similar itenerary. I would like to try something new-it would be our 3rd Voyager class and we have never sailed Carnival but I am a little skeptical--even though the Victory is due for a major refurb. in Oct. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Ive never been on either but have been on Voyager and said "the kids would love this" @ 100 times to DH. My DS, 16 and DD 15 will be so surprised and I cant wait to see their faces when they take in the sheer size of the NOS. As for the Victory, interestingly my TA is booking a group cruise that I plan on surprising my DH w/ next Nov. She is going to decide between the AOS 7night S. Carrib. or the Victory 7night-similar itenerary. I would like to try something new-it would be our 3rd Voyager class and we have never sailed Carnival but I am a little skeptical--even though the Victory is due for a major refurb. in Oct. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Here are some photos of the Victory. One needs to like the color green as it is everywhere on this ship.

VictoryAtrium.jpg

VictoryPromenadeDeck.jpg

VictoryCaspianWineBar.jpg

VictoryAegeanSeasSportsBar.jpg

Here are some photos of the Victory. One needs to like the color green as it is everywhere on this ship.

VictoryAtrium.jpg

VictoryPromenadeDeck.jpg

VictoryCaspianWineBar.jpg

VictoryAegeanSeasSportsBar.jpg

At least there are no urns, like the Legend ( I think) . We counted over 1000 urns on that ship before we gave up.

My view of the Victory, like most Carnival ships-dark, gloomy, garish. Your pics don't do justice to the garishishness of the ship.

We went with a group on a 5 day on the Victory, I have a few pictures. I was afraid the ugliness would break my camera:D

we have done 3 other voyager class ships and the victory- we had a blast on the victory- but to us the voyager class blows her away- and royal caribbeans loyalty program is far better ( imho)

either way you will have a great time- :)

At least there are no urns, like the Legend ( I think) . We counted over 1000 urns on that ship before we gave up.

My view of the Victory, like most Carnival ships-dark, gloomy, garish. Your pics don't do justice to the garishishness of the ship.

We went with a group on a 5 day on the Victory, I have a few pictures. I was afraid the ugliness would break my camera:D

I remember the urns well. They were everywhere. Just another case of over the top Farcus decor. I did find that the Pride and Legend were the darkest due to that rose colored glass over the atrium. Made it very dark. Out of all the Carnival ships, I do like the Spirit class the best for layout and design though. Not as crowded as the cattle call Destiny and Conquest class ships.

Thanks for all of your help. My family is useless in the fact that none of them have opinions that they are willing to share.

I canceled our 12/17 Nav hump cabins reservations but then realized that was a silly thing to do and will probably want to kick myself every time we walk past them.

I rebooked on 12/08, which will work better for my son's school, give me time to shop before Christmas and will take us to Ocho Rios which is my favorite island. (That is me trying to justify doing a very stupid thing....)

Archived