Do you own enough formal wear?

Kan't Wait

17 Paris of Shoes! You are the Shoe Queen. Did you wear them all? I bring one pair of dress shoes for formal night, and two pairs of sandals - that's it! Aren't you afraid of yoru luggage being over the weight limit? They are taking careful note of the luggage weight now and weighing all the pieces. They are charging extra for the additional weight. 17 pairs of shoes must be very heavy, right?

Marion

I didn't take 17 but I did take over a dozen on the last cruise. I distribute them between all the luggage and really sandals and slides weigh nothing.;)

Mparis184- 17 pairs is even more than I take though; I am impressed! Sounds like my kind of shopper!

17 Paris of Shoes! You are the Shoe Queen. Did you wear them all? I bring one pair of dress shoes for formal night, and two pairs of sandals - that's it! Aren't you afraid of yoru luggage being over the weight limit? They are taking careful note of the luggage weight now and weighing all the pieces. They are charging extra for the additional weight. 17 pairs of shoes must be very heavy, right?

Marion

Yep...I wore every pair!!! My luggage was heavy, but we didn't have to fly...left from Bayonne, took a stretch limo. I will be in trouble next cruise because we are flying, I know I will have to limit myself!The last time I flew, I took ONLY 13 pair!

We live in Buffalo and have to fly to the all ports. Even NYC is 8 hours away from us if we drove. I even bought a scale to weigh my luggage when we went to Europe last year. Don't want to pay the extra charges because I took too many clothes that I won't wear. We were gone for over two weeks and I brought too many clothes, what else is new.

Leaving in 3 weeks on a Caribbean cruise. Bought a smaller piece of luggage since the cruise is only one week. I was going to try to get everything in one carry-on but thought that might be tight. I bought a piece of luggage one size up - not certain if it's 24" or 26". I roll all my clothes and put them in large zip lock plastic bags - never any wrinkles and you can fit more in the luggage that way. With everything in bags, if the luggage gets opened to be searched, you can see everything through the bags and stuff won't fall out.

I will take out what I think I will wear and still leave some of it home. I am getting much better at bringing less and less on each cruise. If I need something else, I will buy it - but usually get by with what I have packed.

Marion

I have the obligatory :D black chiffon skirt and two tops (one beaded, one silky), and 2 cocktail dresses. I've worn the dresses on land, but never the skirt.

I dress very nice all the time, both for work and weekends. I live in a land of endless summers :) , so it's all cotton and linen dresses, skirts/tops and pants/tops for me. I've never been a jeans and t-shirt person at all. However, I don't go anywhere that requires formal or fancy clothes, except for cruises :cool: .

So, yeah, I guess I own enough -- for the use I get out of them! LOL

Lets see, I have at least 5 full length gowns and more semi-formal dresses than I could count without going and rummaging through all 3 of my closets! I love to dress up. DH and I have been into ballroom dancing for about 1 1/2 years so we go out dancing a lot so I need many dresses!!

I usually end up buying a new formal dress for each cruise, even though I don't plan to! I just can't myself when I see a beautiful dress on clearance:D .

I had cancer several years ago and I lost a lot of weight. I've kept almost all of it off! I, therefore, have a large collection of formalwear in size 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4! Long gowns, cocktail length dresses, chiffon skirts in floor length and tea length, palazzo pants, beaded tops, sequined tops, etc. Lace, chiffon, satin, and velvet shawls. Tons of evening bags and shoes. I think I have you beat.

22 cruises down, 11 to go..so far...had to get a rolling rack to stage...winter clothes(velvets, etc) packed away til Nov...fall coming out, just putting spring away. lots to choose from past and present..I love it..maybe I win...maybe I dont, but I'm happy w/all I am fortunate to have available. I'm a little old girl turned little older girl, playing dress up every night on my passion of cruising.

Oh dear, you all made me go count! I quit counting at 20 jackets, 6 skirts, and 20 dresses. Let's not talk about the matching shoes and purses. Or the 3 items that have never been worn. (yet)

Even tho' I got married and moved away 21 years ago, my mom STILL sews beautiful things for me. And of course I have to buy a few things to match what she sends.

Melissa

I've got 3 formal dresses and that's all :( We just don't go anywhere 'nice' enough so I only have them for our cruises.

You say that like there's something wrong with it! I went from zero opportunities to wear formal dresses to well, a few. Moving on up! :p

I've got 3 also, so far have worn 2. Also have a long, formal ruffled skirt then needs more formal blouses. Needs, mind. :)

I have started dressing comfortable and less dressy for formal nights and am much happier. Going on a 15 day cruise in March and there are NO formal nights...YAY!

Marion

I see you're going on the Insignia. It's a wonderful ship and thank goodness, NO formal nights!

I bought formal skirt today that I don't really need' date=' okay I don't need it but I love the color and it was a great price. So now I own 4 formal skirts, 7 timeless formal dresses, 5 cocktail dresses and 4 evening slacks. Not to mention all the evening bags and wraps. I would like to know how much formal clothing you ladies own. I feel like I have enough bordering on too much but I'm sure there are more women out there with considerably more. Please share.[/quote']

Hard question to answer since I'm not quite sure of what you mean by "formal wear". If you're refering to true formal wear such as black tie level gowns/long dresses then I probably have about 8 because I don't wear them very often.

However, if you're referring to separates, like very dressy tops and dressy skirts and evening pants, then I have too many to count since I wear them fairly often.

I must admit I have bought new "formal wear" that really is just a bit dressy, not something a bridesmaid would wear. I am not into the long dresses. I have a few long skirts and mix and match the tops if we have more than one formal night. We had three formal nights on one of our last cruises, I really could have done without that many. One is more than enough. DH is even leaving his tux home! We have just gotten tired of it. I am trying to pack lighter and leave a lot of clothes home, I never wear all of it anyway.

I like things more casual and am looking forward to our Insigna cruise with no formal nights at all.

Marion

• 10 months later...

What a fun thread for an evening dress and ball gown addict :-). I know it's old, but there is no law prohibiting the revival of an older thread, or?

My husband and I attend a lot of formal events (diplomatic receptions, balls, galas, military balls, etc.) in a typical year, and have done so for at least the last five or six years. It's one of the advantages (although some might say disadvantages) of being married to a diplomat and getting to live in various countries.

As a result, I have accumulated quite a wardrobe.

I have four ball gowns (full-length, big skirts, low decollete), 25 long evening dresses (not quite as fancy as ball gowns), eight long skirts, matching tops, about a dozen cocktail dresses, countless wraps, several handbags and shoes, gloves, a short faux fur jacket, a velvet jacket, and a black velvet opera cloak.

Now, this may sound like a lot, but my husband actually gets a clothing allowance from the British government to keep up with the demand. In certain cities appearances matter more than in others. At many events you meet the same people, and many of the women will notice and comment if you have worn a dress before. "Good evening, my dear, you look so lovely tonight. I always liked that dress on you...", is not really a compliment, but a clear indication (expressed diplomatically, of course) that your dress was recognized, and that it's time to get yourself something new.

Blessed be those with a forked tongue, but I digress...

We will be cruising on Cunard in December, and although I have bought one new dress, I will recycle many of the gowns already in my possession.

Add me to the list of ladies who never has an opportunity to get dressed to the nines on land and loves to take advantage of formal night. I have 1 long gown that I absolutely adore, and several great cocktail length dresses. Even on casual nights, I almost always wear cute casual dresses. I have the bad habit of wanting to get something new every cruise---I realize no one aside from my DF/DH has seen me in an 'old' dress before, but he's the only one I'm trying to impress! lol :)

I couldn't even begin to count how much formal wear I have.

As far as gowns only I probably have 10-15 formal gowns and probably 25 cocktail dresses. I have a ton of separates.

I only have two pair of formal shoes that I can think of.

A pair of Christian Dior black satin pointed to pumps and a pair of black satin D'orsay pumps from Saks.

I'm envious of the countless choices in fashion you all have. Color, texture, cut, fabrication,...and that's just the dress. Then you have the clutch, shoes, and jewels. I ain't mad though. Work it out my sistas!!;)

I own two tuxes and a dinner jacket. There are only so many ways to do a "dark suit". But I love a challenge and I like to buck the system. I'll keep it formal, but don't expect the norm.:D

Rep

Repsol Rod,

Is it you on your avatar? I hope I can convince DBF that he CAN be a rider and wear formal clothes, that it's not one or the other (all in the proper occasion, of course).

JP

I'm envious of the countless choices in fashion you all have. Color, texture, cut, fabrication,...and that's just the dress. Then you have the clutch, shoes, and jewels. I ain't mad though. Work it out my sistas!!;)

I own two tuxes and a dinner jacket. There are only so many ways to do a "dark suit". But I love a challenge and I like to buck the system. I'll keep it formal, but don't expect the norm.:D

Rep

Hello Rep,

Grant us our advantage when it comes to choice of dress :). However, let's not forget that women are also judged much more harshly -- at least in my social circles :(. Nobody ever comments that my husband wore his dinner suit with the same black silk tie and cummerbund again, or the same tailcoat. Non, en contraire. It's the expected proper attire.

If you already have two dinner suits (sorry, I don't like the word tuxedo, because it makes me think of something like this: http://www.dumbanddumbercostumes.com/pictures/pink_tuxedo.jpg) and a dinner jacket, perhaps it's time to add full evening dress?

A gentleman wearing full evening dress always looks smashing. Think of Fred Astaire.

I just sold two formal dresses on ebay....that I bought on ebay......and never wore! I have 3 other gowns. One of them, a smart looking black satin with white trim, looks best with black opera length gloves....and where do you wear those? Well, I'll save that for later, who knows.

My two favorites, a teal Tadashi and a copper colored taffeta gown with a ruched bodice, are going with me in December.

Seabourn recently stopped having formal nights on their Caribbean cruises (except Christmas and New Years). As I used to hang out in the Caribbean on my previous cruises, I had to choose a different itinerary to get dressed up again!

Jane :D

Traveling just isn't what it used to be. You are lucky today if your luggage arrives with you. On our last cruise out of Rio my husband didn't receive his luggage for 5 days. We have decided not to take a lot of clothes on our next cruise and ONLY bring one carry-on each. It's only a 7 night cruise on the Solstice in November and I am looking forward to the light luggage. No formal clothes. However, since I have so many dressy tops, I could take one and still go to formal night. However, DH isn't even bringing dress shoes. Yes, he could rent the whole formal thing but we may just eat at the buffet.

Happy light packing,

Marion

I'm always looking for formals. DH is lucky that he can wear the same black suit or tux for every cruise and nobody would bat an eye, but I can't wear the same dress. We love to have pictures taken all dressed up, but I certainly don't want to be wearing the same outfit year after year. So, I'll keep shopping too.

Archived