Boat snorkeling-physically handicapped

photog4fun

Photog4fun, one of our party is mobility impaired but likes to snorkel. He requires a ladder which extends several steps into the water and some assistance in getting in/out of the water and to/from his seat. They also have covered seating available on the boat.

For an individual with bad ankles, knees, or hips, or other mobility problems, having a ladder that extends several steps under the water is very important, because it can be difficult, if not impossible, to raise their legs high enough and have enough strength in the joints (not to mention upper body strength) to use a ladder which stops at the water line or is higher.

We use Capt. Marvin's and have gone on two snorkeling trips with him. His boats do have ladders which are wide and which go several steps into the water. His crew is also very willing to help all passengers, including mobility impaired persons. We always let the crew know of the assistance needs. (and tip accordingly) There is also a videographer onboard the longer excursion and you can request one for the shorter excursion.

If you use Captain Marvin's, email Ruth of their office and let her know of the disability and the need for a boat with a ladder which has several steps which go under the water. Captain Marvin's has several large boats used for various snorkeling tours with these long ladders, but if there is a problem with the boat on which you are scheduled and a boat substitution is made, they will can make sure you are on a boat which has the appropriate ladder.

Also see my post on the Buccaneer Catamaran thread below for additional information.

Does your aunt have difficulty walking--does she use a cane, walker, or wheelchair?

Kathy

Yes Ellya, Nativeway does have one boat that has such a ladder but they also have anoher boat that doesn't have such a ladder. I included the following in my Buccaneer Catamaran post about my contact with Nativeway:

"Nativeway also was willing to offer assistance and they have large boat which has a wide ladder and has several steps under the water. However, they also have a smaller boat, similar to Sotos and they will not guarantee which boat you will be on because sometimes the large boat gets chartered/booked up by large groups. It was actually Nativeway that referred us to Captain Marvin's."

I wish Nativeway would guarantee physically disabled the big boat with the long ladder because they are also a high quality company and their stingray snorkeling excursion is cheaper than Captain Marvins. However, if you are physically disabled, your ability to enjoy the excursion is dependent on factors such as the excursion having the necessary equipment, so that is what you have to look for even if it does cost more. If you arrive and the excursion doesn't have the appropriate equipment, you don't get to enjoy the excursion. Getting your money back is hollow satisfaction.

As we find other companies and tours which accommodate physically disabled at various ports, there are several of us who put that information on the disabled board. The list of information, unfortunately, is quite small.

Kathy

Archived