SILVERSEA News! New Ship, 2009, Whisper Based full time AUST/ASIA 2009

Jaffa

Just released in Australia today!

http://www.cruiseweekly.com.au

"Australia is going to be seeing more of SILVERSEA CRUISES from 2009.

In the wake of strong growth in its business here and the promise of rich pickings in japan, the line is going to base the 388-passenger SILVER WHISPER in the AUST/ASIA Pacific region year-round.

Also, a new 540-passenger vessel due for delivery in 2009 is likely to visit Australia in its first year of operation.

SILVERSEA president Amerigo Perasso told CW Monday that the increased focus on Southeast Asia and Australia is prompted in part by strong growth in Australia.

As well, the line sees "important new potential" at the luxury end of the Japanese market.

Some 7 million baby boomers will retire in Japan this year alone, he said.

Australia now accounts for 11% of Silversea business worldwide, up from 3% in 2004. It's the third-biggest market for the line.

America remains the biggest, providing 55% of customers.

Perasso said the recent increase in agency 'partners' here (from two to four) is working well.

Between them, Wiltrans, Cruise Brokers, Cruiseco and Virtuoso have produced 20% more business from 2006 to 2007.

Perasso said this year has been a record one in Australia for sales to Europe.

Europe currently accounts for 45% of all bookings here. Australia charter business is strong, too.

Two full ship charters(a total of 764 passengers) are on the books for 2008, one in the Med and the other in the Caribbean.

SILVERSEA is planning month-long upgrades for two vessels-SILVER WIND late next year and SILVER CLOUD in April 2009.

Perasso said the work will produce two "new" ships within six months.

The line is currently revamping its loyalty programs, challenged by the need to find new ways of recognising its most dedicated customers.

Some people have cruised with SILVERSEA for more than 1000 days in total (at an average rate of US$600).

The lines repeat business factor is about 50%."

Interesting times ahead for Silversea!

Great to see l recon.............

Cheers,

Basing a ship full time in a particular geograhic region is quite "easy", as ships are mobile, and they can be redeployed as circumstances change.

It is not unexpected that Australia is provding more passengers lately. As the A$ increased in value from 48 UScents to 85 UScents in the last half dozen years and with the resource rich Australian economy booming, the "pent up" demand of a travel loving nation is bound to materialize. Besides, as we can read on the internet, Silversea has improved its marketing and sales representation in Australia and it has therefore become better known. We wish them good luck!

It will be interesting to see what changes they make here.

What would you like to see the venetian change into?

For me now with over 130 days, l would like to see the Venetian discount applied to all sailings.

I would like to see a run of ship guarantee price for a small no of suites for solo travelers for early bookers (12months) at a decent price (125%).

I would also like notification pre-cruise of senior and cruise staff who will be tending my voyage (CD, Exec Chef, CC, Con, Capt, HM, Maitr'de).

I would also like online pre-cruise spa and excursion bookings to open 10 days earlier than general online bookings for first time passengers.

I would also be prepared to forgo my free cruise for a higher Venetian discount on all my cruise bookings (10% above and beyond all other discounts and early booking and savings/silversaving fares).

Thought-full reply Meow, thankyou.

But placing the Whisper in the Asia Pacific permanently is the first time a luxury ship from the top lines has been home based south of the equator.

This is a big step.

And no, l do not class the PG from RSSC as in this bracket of ships.

Asia/Australia/Pacific/M-East is also seeing a major transformation with air travel as well, growing at 3 times the level of Europe and North America.

There is a strategic shift underway in international travel/Air/Cruise planning and investment.

Profit from the America's/Carribean/Hawaii has almost halved over the past 4 years with supply increasing by 60%.

Many international travelers now bypass the USA due to its difficult security apparatas and insensitive treatment of international visitors.

International visitors to the US is now down by 14.7% the lowest its been since 9/11.

So it seems that this transition in International thinking is now moving to an actual spend and investment phase. With Asia becoming the "new" centerpoint for international travel and gateways.

Just my opinion though,

Many international travelers now bypass the USA due to its difficult security apparatas and insensitive treatment of international visitors. International visitors to the US is now down by 14.7% the lowest its been since 9/11.
We just switched from a cruise that departed from San Juan in order to avoid US immigration in Miami or JFK. Once bitten...

SS has been doing some very agressive marketing here over the last 2 years. Our only option for cruising locally has been Pacific Sky/Sun ...enough said....unless you look at True North and Orion which are a limited experience one off style of trip.

Most of SS cruises down here have been during what we consider to be the off season for going north so no motivation to cruise locally.

As for going thru US immigration/airline sytem....NEVER EVER again...3 hours from handing tickets over International Business to getting thru to the gate because at every step we were "random" security (14 times in 16 flights?)..then to do a full body pat down on my then 7 yo including running grotty hands (a male) thru my daughters long blonde hair...forget it... as for complaining or making a comment....we were treated like criminals before the process started...why would complaining do us any good.

Meow, the US$ is actually not making that much difference to travel...the Euro will have more impact. Most Aussies are choosing to bypass the US because of the reasons above....we are not the only ones I know to say never again..

Yes Silversea has been aggresive down-under, early last year the company appointed a new position of Senior Vice President for Australasia.

I was lucky to meet him when he first arrived in Syd, he's a nice fella and just loved the idea of an Aussie posting.

He mentioned he was the envy of many in the US office to score this gig.

You are right about the TSA, The last time l was in the US (early last year) I had 5 internal US domestic flights in First and was awarded that stupid SSSS thing for every flight.

I just won't put myself through that anymore. Since then l have done most of my company stuff via video confrenceing.

Its a great pitty though, l miss most of my US friends a lot. I know they don't like the situation either.

We still e-mail and phone but its not the same.

This is going to hurt the USA a lot more than what the US government thinks it will.

Cheers,

Archived