Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

Unless it has your name on it, it's open for whoever wants to sit there. I think on these next two cruises, we'll eat in the buffet for dinner. Less trouble, and no feelings get hurt. I don't like sitting with strangers myself.

Unless it has your name on it, it's open for whoever wants to sit there. I think on these next two cruises, we'll eat in the buffet for dinner. Less trouble, and no feelings get hurt. I don't like sitting with strangers myself.

I've met some of the nicest people on cruises and always have a great time at dinner. If not, I'll ask to change tables (never have yet). Since it's a vacation, I just prefer to lighten up and make it easier for everyone. If people want to stay in their seats, I'm fine with that. If they want to move I'll do that, too, but the waitstaff does have a harder time remembering who likes what.

We like sitting at a large table and we usually switch seats with our tablemates a few times through out the cruise. This allows us to have conversations with everyone at the table and if there happens to be a better seat every one gets a chance to sit there. Same applies if there is a 'bad' seat. ;)

This has been our experience on our last 3 cruises and these were group cruises where we all knew each other. I'm not sure the same would happen if we weren't part of a group.

This so true where I work ..In the conference room everyone sits in the same seat everyday for the morning meeting:)Even for lunch in the break room LOL :rolleyes:

And a few cruises ago we started the 'switching' of chairs - and now do it regularly. 1st started when poor cruise buddy Ray got stuck sitting next to a fellow who thought the world of himself!! (his wife was no prize either). Well right after dinner - he says - never again - i can't sit next to him (we liked the other 2 couples at the table). So next evening we get there early and switch - you should have seen everyone's face! Too funny.... we explain we like to get a different view of the dining room and it's okay to do this (the other 2 couples were 1st time cruisers and of course took our word for it).....and in fact it was a great plan cuz this way we got to 'meet' and talk to several of our tablemates in a more friendly manner (instead of always having to yell across the table).

We generally choose a large table (8-10) so moving around makes it more fun - we now do it regularly - and yes I"m sure some of our tablemates are not happy when they get to the dining room to find that 'their 'seat is taken!!! Heaven forbid!:eek::D

As not have cruised as yet, was not even aware of same seat or different seat at the dining table. So far only hoping that DM and me get a table which is not smack in the middle of the room.

After this thread; it is now going to be interesting to see what is going to happen at our table as we are assigned traditional dining.

But in restaurants DH always has to have the view out to the room, which I think most people prefer.

The only way I'd be upset by something like that is if the rest of the table was occupied in a way that left my husband sitting at one end of the table and myself at the other end. That I would not like and would consider it rude.

Thank you....This has happened to me in the past. If you sit at rectangular table for six and you have a couple or two that claims that these are "their" seats every night it causes one couple never to sit next to each other....That is just beyond rude.

This is what caused me to do the I am going to grab that persons seat after two nights of them staking claim as that is my chair and that is going to be the way it is all cruise....The next night I will chose another so the table starts mixing it up....

Thank you....This has happened to me in the past. If you sit at rectangular table for six and you have a couple or two that claims that these are "their" seats every night it causes one couple never to sit next to each other....That is just beyond rude.

This is what caused me to do the I am going to grab that persons seat after two nights of them staking claim as that is my chair and that is going to be the way it is all cruise....The next night I will chose another so the table starts mixing it up....

That's why I do what I said earlier. Then no one can feel as though they are being cheated out of the "good" seats. Hubby and I are happy to take the leftover seats no one else wanted.

My husband & I have always had private seating so had not experienced this until our last cruise on the Valor, when our request for private seating was not granted. We had a table of 10 and each night everyone sat in different seats and it completely drove us nuts! I would have remembered peoples names so much easier if everyone was in the same seats every night. Even if we got there first and sat in the same seat as the previous night, everyone else did not. Very confusing and hope to be going back to private seating on the next two. ;)

I'll always go to the same seat. But if someone else is there, then it's no biggie.

The last class I was in at work, we were all told to take the same seats as we started with:D It must have come back on a feedback form:rolleyes:

I'll always go to the same seat. But if someone else is there, then it's no biggie.

Same here. It would be a slight annoyance that would be forgotten in mere moments. But I still prefer my same seat and getting there early pretty much takes care of it. :p

We love sitting with a large group when we cruise so we can get to know more fellow cruisers. It doesn't matter either way to me whether we sit in the same seats or not but I like it when it switches up so that I can sit by others and get a chance to talk to everyone. Towards the end of the week on 7-day cruises, I begin to realize there are some I would rather sit by than others because we have more in common but no biggie either way.

I don't really feel there is a bad seat and don't care where I sit but prefer the same seat each evening. After a few times of having musical chair seating we've learned to come to the dining room on time the first night, give our waiter our order and then step out for a quick drink. We come back about 20 minutes later and everyone is seated and usually ordering. We take the last two seats left and apologize for being late and order a bottle of wine and/or a round of drinks to make up for it. Then we come early every other evening and take those same two seats. Works like a charm. We get our same seat each evening and no one can complain we took the best seats because we took the ones that were left for us the first evening. :)

What an awesome way to handle the seating "dilemna", paulandfran! Perhaps I'll be blessed to be seated at a table with you in the future! :)

For the past couple years I have cruised with group/s (singles)

we have tables reserved for the group and first night we have assigned seats

and then we rotate around and mix and "mingle">> I really prefer that way

I don't see a problem in rotating seats..and I agree that others may "not want our backs to the room" or may want to sit by the window

I really don't sweat the stuff like picking a cabin, deck or anything else...all of mine have been good, I was lucky to not have smokers around me when I had a balcony on my last cruise. I just don't get all the icky picky little stuff

Going through that much effort to get the same seat? No thanks

Perhaps your table mates do not like their backs to the room either! I think it is common curtesy to rotate around the table so one person is not "stuck" with bad seating each night.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! Correct answer!!!

How DARE anyone be so presumptuous as to think that "this is MY chair for the duration of this cruise because I happened to sit here on the very first night and it's the best chair EVER and so the heck with the rest of you who just happened to be sitting at MY TABLE even though you paid the same amount of money to enjoy this lovely dining room I got here first and sooooo neener neener neener......" :eek::eek:

The staff does NOT care where you sit. They can take/deliver your order just fine.

How DARE anyone be so presumptuous as to think that "this is MY chair for the duration of this cruise because I happened to sit here on the very first night and it's the best chair EVER and so the heck with the rest of you who just happened to be sitting at MY TABLE even though you paid the same amount of money to enjoy this lovely dining room I got here first and sooooo neener neener neener......" :eek::eek:

The staff does NOT care where you sit. They can take/deliver your order just fine.

:confused::confused: How much does one have to pay to enjoy the lovely dining room?

I agree with you. The dining room IS lovely. And the staff is lovely too.

I don't really feel there is a bad seat and don't care where I sit but prefer the same seat each evening. After a few times of having musical chair seating we've learned to come to the dining room on time the first night, give our waiter our order and then step out for a quick drink. We come back about 20 minutes later and everyone is seated and usually ordering. We take the last two seats left and apologize for being late and order a bottle of wine and/or a round of drinks to make up for it. Then we come early every other evening and take those same two seats. Works like a charm. We get our same seat each evening and no one can complain we took the best seats because we took the ones that were left for us the first evening. :)

What an awesome way to handle the seating "dilemna", paulandfran! Perhaps I'll be blessed to be seated at a table with you in the future! :)

What a grand idea. I'd love to join you too. Perhaps we could invite Mr. Pete as well!

I admit I didn't read all the pages, in fact I only read two posts. With that said, I want to be Judy! 5 upcoming cruises:eek:

Awesome:D

Don't feel bad. I have a hard time getting through all of them myself. I just read the last few answers on each letter. I doubt we miss much. :)

I do like to have my same chair each night. I like the ideas of the nice SeaSmile lady.

Don't feel bad. I have a hard time getting through all of them myself. I just read the last few answers on each letter. I doubt we miss much. :)

Well this thread started three years ago...:eek:

Well this thread started three years ago...:eek:

I don't have any earthly idea what you're saying. You young people and your hip lingo I just can't keep up with it. I try though. :)

What is a thread? All I can think of is a spool of thread in my sewing case or sometimes people call their clothes "threads". But in this context I'm not sure what you mean.

Archived