Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

Growing up, my mom insisted everyone always sit in the same seat. The first time I went to dinner, and someone else was sitting in my seat I felt myself breathing harder-------But, as others have said, the food tasted just as great from my new chair. Glad I'm over that--although I guess I would still prefer the same seat.:rolleyes:

I feel it is more fun to mix it up, also, it is a little selfish to always take the "best" seat...much more polite to share with your tablemates.

You're assuming there is a best seat. If there is, then I can see a reason to share it different days. But if there are just a bunch of seats at the table none better than the other, I'd rather sit where I sat the first day, since I think of it as my seat.

To show the depth of my depravity, I, like another poster said, park in the same spot at work every day. I drive past a bunch of other spots just as good and closer to the building to park in my spot. Then someone got there earlier than me for a few days in a row and parked in my spot. Hey! Somebody is stealing my spot! So I showed up early for about a week straight to get my spot back until the other guy had to find a new spot for himself. I didn't want him to get too attached to my spot. He is apparently a guy that has his own spot too, since now he always parks in the same spot too.

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

And how does sitting in a chair one time convey ownership of that chair? Does not the person that sits in it the next night now "own" it? What about the person that sat in it for lunch? If I yell, "SHOTGUN" is it now my chair?

And if I, or someone should move that chair, do you move to the new location of "YOUR" chair? And how do you KNOW its the same chair, they all look pretty much alike? Do you get a receipt from the cruise line when you "return' "YOUR" chair to them?:D

Phsyco-silliness as I said before.

Dan

I couldn't care less! LOL We did have someone change to a different table when a tablemate took THIER chair one night. I think this tablemate... ok I know this tablemate did it on purpose to see what the other one would do. We were actually happy he did! LOL He was a bit of a pill anyway.

You're assuming there is a best seat. If there is, then I can see a reason to share it different days. But if there are just a bunch of seats at the table none better than the other, I'd rather sit where I sat the first day, since I think of it as my seat.

To show the depth of my depravity, I, like another poster said, park in the same spot at work every day. I drive past a bunch of other spots just as good and closer to the building to park in my spot. Then someone got there earlier than me for a few days in a row and parked in my spot. Hey! Somebody is stealing my spot! So I showed up early for about a week straight to get my spot back until the other guy had to find a new spot for himself. I didn't want him to get too attached to my spot. He is apparently a guy that has his own spot too, since now he always parks in the same spot too.

What a selfish depraved bunch we are!

Not only that, but when I go to the store I try to park in or near the same spot.

This is in part because if I don't, I will forget where I parked.

Not only that, but when I go to the store I try to park in or near the same spot.

quote]

:eek: OMG!

I didn't even realize i did that until you just mentioned it but i do always park on the same Isle and always try and get around the same parking spot.

GREAT!!

I'm selfish & Depraved:D

BUT i have a good explanation, i have a black car with black leather interior, i live in the middle of California, 110 in the shade, i have to get that tree, the one where the limb hangs over my driverside when i park so my steering wheel doesn't burn the hell out of my hands when i get back to the car AND there is no sprinkler around that stall either because it never fails, if there is a sprinkler near, it will come on and get water spots all over my black car.

I feel better now:D

quote]

:eek: OMG!

I didn't even realize i did that until you just mentioned it but i do always park on the same Isle and always try and get around the same parking spot.

GREAT!!

I'm selfish & Depraved:D

BUT i have a good explanation, i have a black car with black leather interior, i live in the middle of California, 110 in the shade, i have to get that tree, the one where the limb hangs over my driverside when i park so my steering wheel doesn't burn the hell out of my hands when i get back to the car AND there is no sprinkler around that stall either because it never fails, if there is a sprinkler near, it will come on and get water spots all over my black car.

I feel better now:D

Sell the car, buy a life! :D

I have a black car too and live in SUNNY Florida which is 7.6846 times hotter than Ca.:eek: OK, 2.5790 times hotter than the San Joaquin valley.:p We don't park in the shade in Fl. because there is none. Or if there is any shade it is at the far end of the parking lot and nobody could make it that far across the Sahara of parking lot to the store. So we just all jam in as close to the store as possible. Causes a lot of parking lot rash on the sides of cars but that's life in the senior state.

Dan

My silly quirk: We just go and sit where ever there are available seats at our assigned table on the first night .....then we for some strange reason gravitate to the same silly seats every night.....don't even notice we're doing it...LOL! Creatures of habit I guess. It really doesn't matter to us...except for the fact that dh and I like to sit together, of course.

i always think "people are creatures of habit" and will ordinarily always go to the same seat, whether it be at a table or on a commuter train, etc.

but, i guess if they get stuck w/ a cruddy seat, they'll try to snag the good one at the first opportunity, LOL.

i'm a creature of habit...don't take my chair, LOL:p :D :p

My silly quirk: We just go and sit where ever there are available seats at our assigned table on the first night .....then we for some strange reason gravitate to the same silly seats every night.....don't even notice we're doing it...LOL! Creatures of habit I guess. It really doesn't matter to us...except for the fact that dh and I like to sit together, of course.

I think that's part of it, I also think it does make it a bit easier for the waiters, as they do a lot of memorization for the sake of the passengers. . .I confess I also prefer a table, or at least a chair on the "outside" I have very short legs, so tend to perch on the edge of my chair so my legs don't dangle and get all puffy. A chubby old lady thang, ya know. . .:o But I do like consistency. I don't expect people to swap chairs if they like where they are sitting, but I would certainly do that if it were a matter of comfort to someone. However, in my house, it's MY chair! :D

I'm not possessive of it, but I have noticed on every cruise I've been on..we always just tend to go to the same chairs. Even our tablemates. LOL Maybe they are possessive and I never thought about it and played into their plan. ROFL!!! :D

I think that's part of it, I also think it does make it a bit easier for the waiters, as they do a lot of memorization for the sake of the passengers. . .I confess I also prefer a table, or at least a chair on the "outside" I have very short legs, so tend to perch on the edge of my chair so my legs don't dangle and get all puffy. A chubby old lady thang, ya know. . .:o But I do like consistency. I don't expect people to swap chairs if they like where they are sitting, but I would certainly do that if it were a matter of comfort to someone. However, in my house, it's MY chair! :D

Maybe that's it! .....just being unconsciously considerate to our waiters. =o) Probably conncected with the "have our own special place at the table at home" thing also somehow.

......and I'm afflicted with the "chubby old lady thing" also.....sigh.....

I've cruised with groups of 6, 8, 11, 12, and once 33. We all moved around both chairs and tables. The wait teams had no problems remembering who was who and liked what. A rookie would have a problem, but they do anyway. An old pro, takes it in stride.

Dan

• 2 years later...

I enjoy "mixing it up" at the table. That way, we get to talk to everyone at one time or the other. (we always ask for, and get a BIG table) Besides, if you're the last one to the table, then you get what's left. :eek: Come on, get out of the cabin and to the dining room so you don't hold up the entire group waiting for you to arrive, and order. :D

"SKY"

Great thread...when I stop and think about it...we are creatures of habit and always pick the same chair. Once we had a booth and our tablemates always wanted to sit across from each other...that was kinda funny to us...I wanted to sit next to DH, but no matter HOW early we tried to get to the diningroom they were "majically" already there :rolleyes:..anyway...now we always check out our table first..ask for a 6 top round, if not already assigned one and have never switched chairs...seems the 6 top is good for conversation without shouting..;)

We are RARELY standing at the doors waiting for them to open, so we just take whatever seats are available. If at a table against the wall, we fill in closest to the wall, so no one has to climb behind us for seats (unless it's a window seat and we've had our turn). If at a round table, we will sit next to anyone already seated (so if no one else shows up we're not yelling across the table). It seems to me that the people who really care are there early, and the people who are more flexible will come in a few minutes later.

I would hope that anyone with a hearing problem or a left-hander would speak up so that they have a comfortable dining experience, and I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't be accommodating.

I love to mix it up. Our last two cruises were with groups of nine and 11 people and it was great to switch places at the table so that we could get a different view of the dining room. Our next two cruises, B2B, will be family groups of eight.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived