Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

I definitely like the same chair each night also. Mr Pete do you also like to have your cash in your wallet all facing the same direction and in order of denomination?

Whoa, I do that. Though, my denominations are in reverse order. In case I need to pull them all out I want onlookers to only see the ones and think I am poor. Which I am :D

I am very much so a creature of habit. But when I vacation, for whatever reason, I actually force myself to sit in a new chair each night. One night my friend and I switched tables! The wives from the other table cried so we felt really bad.... but they made me sing karaoke that night so I guess karma and all that. We will probably stay in the same seats next cruise since we're adding a really shy gal to our group.

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

You're not alone. I don't like playing musical chairs either. :rolleyes:

do you also like to have your cash in your wallet all facing the same direction and in order of denomination?

I do. Old habit I picked up from working as a cashier in high school. I'm very OCD about it. I hate when you get cash now, even at a bank, the money is all mixed up. I step away so the next person can be waited on but I have to stop and get the bills in order and right side up before I can put them in my wallet.

On our last cruise we had a round table of 10. On one of the nights my wife and I were there first at the table. We sat across from each other. Then when the other couples came to the table we asked that they do not sit with their spouse. It ended up having the 5 guys together and the 5 gals together. We ended up having a blast. ALot of the people came out of there shells since their spouse was not right next them. It also confused the waiter a bit, but he also had a blast. By the end of dinner we all were a little tipsy(everyone was buying each other drinks and wine.)

That would have really thrown me off and made me uncomfortable. Glad it worked out for your group :)

I just live to sit at a table for 8 or 10 and change my seat every night.:D

Why should I (or anyone) have to look at a wall all week. While someone (it's my seat and that's why I got here early the first night and planted my flag on it) gets to look at all the festivities for the whole cruise.....:p

Can I do the same thing on the pool deck with my deck chair?

Can I go to the sports bar and do the same thing with a barstool?

Can I do this with a chair in the Lido restaurant?

Can I do the same thing in the Serenity area?

I think not......

Get over it and live a little. Move around and let other people see what else is going on.....;)

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

No you are not alone, in fact I think you are in the majority. ;) I think it helps your servers if you are in the original arrangement. Different strokes for different folks!

Luv's Crusin'

On our last cruise we had a round table of 10. On one of the nights my wife and I were there first at the table. We sat across from each other. Then when the other couples came to the table we asked that they do not sit with their spouse. It ended up having the 5 guys together and the 5 gals together. We ended up having a blast. ALot of the people came out of there shells since their spouse was not right next them. It also confused the waiter a bit, but he also had a blast. By the end of dinner we all were a little tipsy(everyone was buying each other drinks and wine.)

On one cruise there was a very large group of CCer's. 5 tables in all. The plan from the start was to move around all the tables. That worked out VERY well as there were 2 guys in the group that had a haze of debris and shrapnel flying around them while they ate. The one guy wore the same shirt to dinner every night. So people definitely changed tables to avoid. Somebody asked me when was Italian night. I looked at 'the shirt guy' and said, "It looks like the red sauce stains are 3 layers down so Italian night must have been last Tuesday!!:D:D

Am I alone?

We are just the opposite. We all change chairs every night. That way we can converse with different people each nite, especially if we are at a large table with new friends.

On our last cruise we had a round table of 10. On one of the nights my wife and I were there first at the table. We sat across from each other. Then when the other couples came to the table we asked that they do not sit with their spouse. It ended up having the 5 guys together and the 5 gals together.

I think we would have asked the Maitre'd to change our table assignment on the spot. :mad:

I find the food and service is independent of the chair position.

If you want the same chair every night, I agree you need to line up and sprint for it, cause it is first come first served.

Personally, I take my time and the sprinters can wait until I make my grand entrance, however late that may be. :D

It is not a huge deal to chair hop, but most of my cruises I have stayed in the same seat.

I switched seats on the Splendor for two reasons--since we had three empty chairs and right behind me was where they put the trays down and the woman next to me had to get up so I could leave because of that tray (I moved on night three to the end of the table and not by the window). The other reason I moved chairs was a sweet but creepy guy was at our table and three of the four nights I ate in the dining room he was making passes at me and suggesting we "spend time together:...HECK NO!!!!!

The last cruise I went on in January I felt sorry for Boris and Tomas the wait staff!! I think I sat in four different chairs at that table in seven nights and no one sat in the same chair the next night, no we all chair swapped each night!!!!! We had a great time and our wait staff was awesome!!!! Boris, he rocked!!!!!

We've never been at a table with anyone we didn't know.

But I can't have my back to the door, I have to be facing "that" way (this blasted OCD!).

ETA: We've always gotten a balcony room. This time on the Dream, our beds were faced the "wrong" way to which we are accustomed. That even threw me for a loop to begin with!

This is one of those questions that made me think for a couple of minutes. We tend to sit in the same seats each night and haven't really given it any thought. This has happened even when it's just our family at the same table. If I arrived at a table and found tablemates sitting where I had the previous night I'd just take another seat. The only way I'd be upset by something like that is if the rest of the table was occupied in a way that left my husband sitting at one end of the table and myself at the other end. That I would not like and would consider it rude. Now if I arrived at the table and someone already sitting suggested we shake it up to get to know each other better etc I'd have no problem with that either. I have yet to meet a stranger and as long as the table was pleasant I'd be more than happy to move to a different seat to allow someone to experience a water view etc.

We've never been at a table with anyone we didn't know.

But I can't have my back to the door, I have to be facing "that" way (this blasted OCD!).

ETA: We've always gotten a balcony room. This time on the Dream, our beds were faced the "wrong" way to which we are accustomed. That even threw me for a loop to begin with!

There's no such thing as OCD.

Wow i never knew people changed chairs!

Our large groups have always been family, but I would think then if you moved around you are making it harder for the wait staff to really learn your needs, they they to know you during the week and I think it it is just easier for them for people to use the same chairs.

Interesting thread. People are creatures of habit. Only fair to the poor person who has the bad seat at the table to move about. I would, but never really gave it much thought before this, thanks for making me aware.

As I read through this "chair hog" came into my head, I am sitting here chuckling to myself.

Michele

Perhaps your table mates do not like their backs to the room either! I think it is common curtesy to rotate around the table so one person is not "stuck" with bad seating each night.

I don't really feel there is a bad seat and don't care where I sit but prefer the same seat each evening. After a few times of having musical chair seating we've learned to come to the dining room on time the first night, give our waiter our order and then step out for a quick drink. We come back about 20 minutes later and everyone is seated and usually ordering. We take the last two seats left and apologize for being late and order a bottle of wine and/or a round of drinks to make up for it. Then we come early every other evening and take those same two seats. Works like a charm. We get our same seat each evening and no one can complain we took the best seats because we took the ones that were left for us the first evening. :)

We are ALL creatures of habit and yes there have been many sociological experiments about 'choosing' and keeping one's seat.

As a sociology graduate one of my favorite things to watch was people in a group meeting/boardroom setting - you will find people even in this type of situation will pick the same seats at their monthly meetings. I would always love to wreak a bit of havoc and choose a different seat! Well - you would think I was the biggest troublemaker. (you're sitting in my seat - no I'm not??)

Changes the whole dynamic of the meeting - try it next time (and if you really want to be listened to - make sure you are at the head of the table - whether you are the 'head' or not - you will definitely carry more clout!)

Have fun!

Froufie

This so true where I work ..In the conference room everyone sits in the same seat everyday for the morning meeting:)Even for lunch in the break room LOL :rolleyes:

Archived