el morro and bar/club 3pm-10pm

LaPetiteNancy

Hello all..

I am new here and I speak french, so I am sorry if I make english mistakes :)

OK, we will be cruising with the liberty of the seas in april 2008 and our ship docks in san juan puerto rico on april 14 (I think it's a monday) from 3pm to 10pm

We would like to go to the El Morro Fort (3$ to enter, closes at 5pm, right?), using a free trolley (if we can find one)

Then walk back and see san cristobal castle (probably from the outside since it might be closed at this point)

And come back out to find a nice restaurant/bar near the pier (so we can be back before 10pm and use the maximum of our spare time)

My questions:

1st: is my itinerary possible? what should I change? what else do you suggest?

2nd: Is there a good bar/resto near the pier, where we can listen, dance and see some local salsa dancing?

-I have spotted rumba night club on calle san sebastian, that sounds really really interesting! but they have a 15$ cover charge and it looks like there is not much activity before 10pm.. am I right? Can we even eat there?

-I see also Parrot Club? What is it like? dancing before 10pm there? good food?

What do you suggest???

Thank you all for your help,

Nancy (from Montréal, Québec)

Hello all..

I am new here and I speak french, so I am sorry if I make english mistakes :)

OK, we will be cruising with the liberty of the seas in april 2008 and our ship docks in san juan puerto rico on april 14 (I think it's a monday) from 3pm to 10pm

We would like to go to the El Morro Fort (3$ to enter, closes at 5pm, right?), using a free trolley (if we can find one)

Then walk back and see san cristobal castle (probably from the outside since it might be closed at this point)

And come back out to find a nice restaurant/bar near the pier (so we can be back before 10pm and use the maximum of our spare time)

My questions:

1st: is my itinerary possible? what should I change? what else do you suggest?

2nd: Is there a good bar/resto near the pier, where we can listen, dance and see some local salsa dancing?

-I have spotted rumba night club on calle san sebastian, that sounds really really interesting! but they have a 15$ cover charge and it looks like there is not much activity before 10pm.. am I right? Can we even eat there?

-I see also Parrot Club? What is it like? dancing before 10pm there? good food?

What do you suggest???

Thank you all for your help,

Nancy (from Montréal, Québec)

Yes, it's possible if you go with a cab, not sure with the trolley. We went to the fort, our ship arrived at 3PM. We took a cab up to the fort because I heard the trolley is slow and since the fort closed at 5 we needed a faster way to get there. We only stayed at the fort for maybe an hour at the most. Then we walked down through the streets of Old San Juan.

We went to the Parrot Club for drinks only but the menu did look really nice. Another nice place is Cafe Bohemio located in the El Convento hotel on Christos St. http://www.elconvento.com

I agree... get off as soon as you can.....take a taxi. The trolley is s-l-o-w and that is if you can find one..... they are not always around.

Rumba Club is where we went for some salsa....but we were staying 2 nights precruise. San Juan is very European in that everything starts later in the evening...... dinner etc..... the clubs really don't even get people in them until around 10 pm.... and the Rumba Club had NO COVER..... the drinks were a little high but very strong.....

Cafe Nuyorican might work for you..... you can eat there..... but there is a cover some nights. And again - not sure what time the music would really get going.

Keep looking - research is the key. The more you look around....the more you learn what there is and then you can figure it all out..... I spent months planning our 3 day/2 night stay :D

OK

thank you both

If you, or someone else comes up with other ideas, please let me know

We would really love to see some local dancing while we eat

(or at least before 9pm while having a drink...)

have a nice evening

Nancy

Archived