Moevenpick Hotel

emmylou

The location in Amsterdam looks great.

Right on the water and perhaps a 10 minute walk to Central Station.

Movenpick used to have restaurants in Canada and they were wonderful.

The only comment I can make (not having stayed there) is that two days in a row (the night before my cruise and the day of the cruise) I noticed a lot of the windows in rooms were open. While this was August and not overly hot (was not Dallas hot) I noticed it. My thought to myself was 'wonder if the rooms are hot or what?'

Good luck and keep us posted.

JGR01, We are going in the other direction Basel to Amsterdam.Since our cruise is Nov 28th -Dec 12th we won't have to worry about it being too hot.:)

Thanks for letting us know the information that you do know.How was your trip. I hope it was all and more than you ever expected.Anything that really impressed you???????

emmy

Hi emmylou,

My wife and I took that cruise a year ago or so only from Amsterdam to Budapest. It's hard to pick just one or two things that impressed. I guess it depends on what impresses you. I was thoroughly impressed with the cathedral in Cologne, but others thought it looked dirty. Well, it is several hundred years old, so there would be an accumulation of dirt, and they were cleaning it when we were there, but when you see it and realize how big it is, and how complex it is, you will understand that your children's children just might get to see it clean.017.jpg.b06b7432aff7cb0d739e275323c51c43.jpg

I was also impressed by some of the food - the sausages in Regensburg were incredible. The best place is right at the end of the beautiful bridge.013.jpg.f20cfdacfd877f07b8fd067a635bc40b.jpg

I was also impressed with how there are practically no signs of world war 2. The re-build is stunning. If you go to Koblenz you might see a plaque in the road that says just how much damage was done, but none can be seen now. In Budapest there is a monument of sorts along the canal - not a statue, but a collection of bronze shoes lined up along the wall - haunting.

I think the best thing to do is, go with an open mind and just let yourself be amazed, let it all in without judgement and you will have an incredible journey. I loved every minute of it and I would do it again in an instant. Oh, wait! I am doing it again, only this time we are going from St. Petersberg to Moscow. That should be interesting!

Buck

Movenpick is a fine hotel, opened only just about 2 years ago. It is right above the passenger cruise terminal and has tram nr. 25, that will bring you into city-center right next to the building.

http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/hotels/Amsterdam/welcome.htm

Till now I heard just very good reports about this hotel.

Buck,

Thanks for the pictures.The church looks beautiful to me and we do go to Cologne but not Regensburg feel bad about missing the sausages they look yummy.:D

Ine,

I thought you would come thru with some information.Amsterdam should make you thier Ambasador with the wealth of information and help you have given to the people on this cruise critics board.THANK YOU:)

EMMY

Buck,

Thanks for the pictures.The church looks beautiful to me and we do go to Cologne but not Regensburg feel bad about missing the sausages they look yummy.:D

Ine,

I thought you would come thru with some information.Amsterdam should make you thier Ambasador with the wealth of information and help you have given to the people on this cruise critics board.THANK YOU:)

EMMY

Thanks, enjoy your stay and cruise.

Emmy, we stayed at the Mövenpick earlier this year, at a fairly low rate on a Priceline bid. The location is great for pre- or post-cruise, of course, but also works well overall as it's a short tram ride to Centraal Station (where you can connect to other trams throughout the city -- be sure to get a strippenkaart) or an easy walk to the station and beyond. The hotel itself is very modern, and our room had a great view of the port area, station, and much of the city.

In the same area (walking distance) is Jamie Oliver's restaurant 15 that is kinda neat to go to if you can get a reservation. I did it pre-cruise (Amsterdam > Basel) and really enjoyed it... tho it was not cheap.

http://www.fifteen.nl/index.php?onderdeel=fifteen&menu=103 (not sure this shows in English but there is an English link in the lower left area)

When we went to Amsterdam we went a day early and stayed in a Bed & Breakfast at the end of our trip. We flew from Barcelona to Amsterdam and stayed a night there. It was peculiar as the room we booked had flooded just a few days before we were to arrive, but we didn't find that out until we pulled up front expecting to get to bed early. The owner was on the ball though, and arrange alternate accomodation for us. Unfortunately, it was his friend's place and it was quite musty smelling and felt damp. I didn't like it much, but the comforter on the bed was wonderful and I slept very well. I think I would rather be in a regular hotel.

Buck.

YOW

Thanks for the info on the Moevenpick we booked the post cruise with GCT had no choice with the hotel glad to hear it is a good one.Where do you get the Strippenkaart??????? I take it they are a transfer ticket????

JGRO1,

Will have to look into Jamie Oliver's.Thanks for the suggestion

Buck,

Wouldn't have liked the musty smell.Was'nt a freshener supplied to make it a little better???Glad you enjoyed your trip though.

emmy

• 2 weeks later...

Emmy, the strippenkaart is a punch/stamp card with blank spaces on it, and can be used for several trips, exactly how many depending on which zone(s) you traverse. It is for sale at Centraal Station and other transit centres, as well as at tobacco stands and convenience stores.

http://www.amsterdam.info/transport/strippenkaart

...hope this helps. Have a great time in Amsterdam! :)

Archived