Transportation from airport to Rome/Rome to port

We are sailing from Rome on 11/6/07 on the Legend of the Sea's. Thank you for all the info. We would prefer a private car and I am now doing the research. It looks like it's between Rome Cabs, Roma Shuttle Service or Bob's Limo Service.

By the way Mike Andrews from Boston, are you the real Mike Andrews?

We had a horrible experience with romashuttleairport (www.romashuttleairport.it). After confirming all arrangements via e-mail and confirming via cell phone the day before, they never showed up to pick us up from Civitavecchia and didn't answer their phones when we called. Thank G-d we were able to grab a taxi right there, but it was pretty stressful. Beware!

Elena

Thanks. They were on my list of companies I was checking on. It looks like Bob's or Roma Cab

You might want to do a search on Bob's, there was something on these boards about him standing up a celebrity of some sort after all the confirmations and re-confirmations, etc.

Rome Cabs seems to be the one with the best reviews.

I was all set to use Rome Shuttle because they use a van from the airport to Rome, but with the bad reviews, think we will take our chances on the train for 11 EUR.

We are also taking the train and having used public transportation in the past I have one piece of advice.

Test drive you luggage--fully loaded before you leave home. Make sure you can handle everything up and down stairs, can lift it onto a shelf, and can manage uneven sidewalks. Yes you'll look like a tourist in your own hometown.

On our first trip we overpacked and struggled on buses, up even the slightest hill and over curbs and little steps. That was before we were "enlightened" to the joys of less is easier!!!

BTW--here we pay $130 for two people 43 miles one way to the airport plus a 15% tip that is added to your bill. With the price of gas both here and in Europe (don't even ask what they pay) public transportation just makes sense, unfortunaely we don't have that option.

We are also taking the train and having used public transportation in the past I have one piece of advice.

Test drive you luggage--fully loaded before you leave home. Make sure you can handle everything up and down stairs, can lift it onto a shelf, and can manage uneven sidewalks. Yes you'll look like a tourist in your own hometown.

On our first trip we overpacked and struggled on buses, up even the slightest hill and over curbs and little steps. That was before we were "enlightened" to the joys of less is easier!!!

BTW--here we pay $130 for two people 43 miles one way to the airport plus a 15% tip that is added to your bill. With the price of gas both here and in Europe (don't even ask what they pay) public transportation just makes sense, unfortunaely we don't have that option.

Gee, guess I'm spoiled here in Southern California. Super Shuttle for two to go approx 40 miles to the airport is only $48 then we added two more people, so with tax and tip, it was $98 for the 4 of us, and we divided it 4 ways.

I plan to have one 29" suitcase and 1 carry-on that sets on top of the larger case that does have wheels. The biggest problem I had in the past was getting the bag up onto the train as the platforms aren't even with the train, so you have to actually lift the bag, not just roll it, but you can only pack just so light for a two week trip. But at 120-130 EUR for the transfer that would be almost $200 and I'm not paying that, so have no choice but to use the train.

Don't know if you got someone yet but we have used Stefano/Marco from Romecabs@yahoo.com. We would not hesitate to use them again. We also used them for tours on two separate cruises that we took, one in 2005 and one this past April. They were great!

Might be helpful if you said what they charged. I'm not using private cab for transfer or tours, as I found the cost prohibitive. Even the vans for the transfer with up to 8 passengers is ridiculously high priced.

The OP doesn't state whether budget is a consideration, so they will have to do their research to see what best fits for them.

We gave away our 29" suitcases since they weigh TOO much. We now take three 26" suitcases for two of us and have NO problem with the 50 pound limit on each suitcase.

Sheila

That's great if there are two of you, but there is just me. No way I could handle more than one suitcase and one carry on. I'll be lucky to do that.

My friend travels with me, and she will have one suitcase and one carry on, but we each have our own luggage that we will have to handle.

If my husband was with me, we could maybe handle the luggage differently, but two older women traveling we will have to do our own

schlepping.

Gee, guess I'm spoiled here in Southern California. Super Shuttle for two to go approx 40 miles to the airport is only $48 then we added two more people, so with tax and tip, it was $98 for the 4 of us, and we divided it 4 ways.

I plan to have one 29" suitcase and 1 carry-on that sets on top of the larger case that does have wheels. The biggest problem I had in the past was getting the bag up onto the train as the platforms aren't even with the train, so you have to actually lift the bag, not just roll it, but you can only pack just so light for a two week trip. But at 120-130 EUR for the transfer that would be almost $200 and I'm not paying that, so have no choice but to use the train.

That reminds me of a time I was in Rome on my own. I was catching the train to the airport. I had quite a big suitcase - which I didn't think was a problem because it was on wheels. I hadn't anticipated on having to climb stairs into the train. All our train doors are level with the platforms here. I thought it would be easier if I climbed in and tried to lift it up - well when I did that it just pulled me back out of the train.:eek: A man caught me and then helped me with my luggage. I hate having to do the "helpless woman" thing, but at least I tried;)

The ironic thing is that they have disabled carriages (1 per train) that has the train doors level with the platform. I don't understand why they don't do it for all the carriages.

Especially when the train is the AIRPORT SHUTTLE!!! I mean people going to the airport usually have luggage:confused:

I was just wondering if Rome Airport has plenty of taxi's/mini vans to take us to our hotel near the Vatican? I hate to book a service, just in case our flight is delayed (we have to transfer at CDG, hence my concern).

We are a party of four with four large bags, so we would need a mini van or similar vehicle.

Amy

I was just wondering if Rome Airport has plenty of taxi's/mini vans to take us to our hotel near the Vatican? I hate to book a service, just in case our flight is delayed (we have to transfer at CDG, hence my concern).

We are a party of four with four large bags, so we would need a mini van or similar vehicle.

Amy

I'm sure taxis will be plentiful, my concern is the cost to go an hour to Rome to your hotel.

I plan on using the train just for cost consideration. 11 EUR x 2 vs 40-50 EUR. And the cost to the port at Civitavecchia is even worse at 120-150 EUR so again will be using the train at 10 EUR x 2. It means schlepping our own luggage, but those extra EUROs can be used for food and ho/ho buses.

rustic who makes the stuff I love:

Maybe you can contact your hotel and see if they work with a car service. I think with four people and large luggage you will end up having to take two cabs. Either a service you pick, or one through your hotel will be aware of your flight situation, its what they do for a living. In either case let them know the luggage situation.

The before mentioned overpacking trip in Barcelona we had the hotel call for a cab, and since they saw the size of the luggage a larger car was sent.

In Rome we are staying at a smaller hotel on a side street, reviews have mentioned that since it is a pedrestrian street cabs can't find it. We are spending 5 euros more to have the hotel send a car for pick-up.

In Rome we are staying at a smaller hotel on a side street, reviews have mentioned that since it is a pedrestrian street cabs can't find it. We are spending 5 euros more to have the hotel send a car for pick-up.

That's a great idea for the return trip to the airport.

Archived