Air Conditioning - Summit and Millennium - what to do?

Cruiser Nonna

This past summer we were on the Summit and the AC did not work - many people were complaining about how warm it was and we were in Alaska! My son had been onboard about 3 weeks before us and had the same problem.

Now reading that the Millennium is having this problem and wondering what is going on - cannot imagine being so hot from being onshore and coming back and not being able to cool off.

For those recent passengers on Millennium - did they make a complaint - was anything done or said? I have sailed on both of the ships prior and had no problems but it sure seems strange that NOW both ships???

For those recent passengers on Millennium - did they make a complaint - was anything done or said? I have sailed on both of the ships prior and had no problems but it sure seems strange that NOW both ships???

Honestly, I didn't complain. We found that if we kept the drapes pulled, by midnight or so, our bedtime, the room began to cool down. I spoke to the members of our group and they all said it was warm, and that some of them complained, so I did not. After the first 3 days, the ship was MUCH cooler for several days, and then warmer again during the end.

It wasn't as if it wasn't working at all, it was just warmly humid in spots.

Someone in our party complained, it got better for a few days, and then wasn't again. I honestly think it is because they may be trying to cut costs on AC. I found it odd that when asked, the room steward could do *anything* about it, but he did, which tells me they've made a decision to limit it, but what do I know?

Our room was fine, *but* the AC was turned down as cold as it would go....

No, the extension cord does not run that far. It is operated off of the ship's generators, which are running...otherwise you would not have lights, electric sliding glass doors, etc.

This biggest culprit is balconies left open and or low freon levels.

We were on the Summit in early August (in Alaska), and the air conditioning worked fine. It was never hot (and I'm one of those that lives in a constant hot flash:D ), and we slept with full blankets on.... Maybe there were some temporary problems??? We knew about 20 other people on the ship - and they didn't have problems either.....

The public areas of the Summit last week did feel very warm but I spent so little time inside - was usually out on deck and up front - that I didn't notice it too much. I had the thermostat in my room turned to its lowest setting and it was OK but I really was only in my room to sleep and change clothes. No balcony.

Whether one's balcony door is opened or closed should not affect the a/c or temp of the ship in the public areas, only in your stateroom.

John

On Constellation, with outside temperature in port at about 85, I felt warm when wearing a jacket and tie that evening. I put it down to a higher humidity and that I was already hot.

In our cabin we did have our balcony door over and used to get a howling gale under our door. A towel fixed that flow. Of an evening, with doors closed, the AC was very pleasant at about 2 notches in the blue.

I know it does not help the Summit but maybe of interest to future Connie cruisers.

In contrast the P&O Arcadia had no individual AC in the rooms and we had to get the engineers to fit filters and baffles to cut the cold and dampen the noise.

Archived