"Relief Bands" - Do they always work?

Grits53

My system is very sensitive to anything that either puts you to sleep or wakes you up. If I drink anything containing caffiene after 4:00 PM, I'll be wide awake till past midnight, even when I NEED to sleep! If I take a Bonine, I'm out like a light, cannot hold my eyes open for hours. Ginger pills don't do a thing for me. The prescription patch works, but I feel like I'm in a fog the whole time, and sometimes it gives me a headache or just plain makes my head feel strange. The patch has been the lesser of evils in keeping the queasy stomach at bay on cruises, but I'd rather find something else that works for me without side effects.

I've seen the "Relief Band" mentioned on here before, and someone mentioned it again today. I would like to know if there is anyone who has used one of these, and it did NOT work to prevent your seasickness. Or give me your rave reviews of it. If I'm going to get one, I need to order it soon, but I'd like some more input on it first. Thanks. :)

PS - I wear a Philip Stein watch. Would I need to take it off when wearing the Relief Band?

If the relief ban is the same as the accupressure band - then yes, I use them and it works like a charm. I, too, am sensitive to medications. I got a little over confident on a recent cruise, thinking the accupressure bands success was in my head so didn't put them on when I got on the ship. I fought it but was naseaus as soon as the ship started moving (and we were in the theater doing muster drill so didn't 'know' the ship was moving). I was thinking I was getting the flu and wasn't happy. Put the bands on and was feeling better within 1/2 an hour or so. I wear them as soon as I get on board and through the first night until morning - don't have to wear them again for the rest of the trip. So.....whether it's psychological or not.....it works for me!

Regarding the watch.....the accupressure bands go two fingers down from the bottom of your palm -not sure how that will interfere with your watch.

They work for me. Relief is almost immediate. You just have to make sure you find the right pressure point. Instructions come with them.

Also, I have a friend that has some sort of electric-pulse band? Looks kind of like a watch. She swears by it. Maybe someone else here knows more about these?

Before you order online, you might check at your local drugstores for the Relief Bands. I think several, such as Rite-Aid or CVS, carry them.

Thanks for the responses about the acupressure bands, but I was referring to the ones that send out the electrical currents, or whatever they send. I'm a little leary of the acupressure bands working on me, for some reason. Maybe because they're too simple and inexpensive? LOL! :o

Grits53...I don't know where you live in Louisiana but a friend of ours swears by the band and she said she bought her's at Wal-Mart. Now for those of you that do not do Wally World :eek: , she said that you could spend some more money and buy it at a Walgreen's Drugs. :rolleyes:

So I would think a couple of phone calls to stores with a drug department that has Dramamine and such, you could locate a pair of sea sickness bands. From what our friend says, they come in a package of two when you buy them. :)

I hope this helps.

Don

Hi

I have seen people wear what i thought was self adhering magnets behind their ears.. but they may have been a patch.. i dont know why i thought they were magnets.?? Anyone know what i am talking about

My husband bought his onboard a CCL ship for $10.00. They are light grey and have a velcro strap. I had also found them at the drugstores others mentioned but they were a bulky stretch material and more like the cuff of a jacket.

He used to use the patches but now swears by the bands.....We also take Ginger just in case they dont work.

Good Luck

It may well have been me you read in the seasickness thread referring to how well the relief band works. First of all, you can't wear anything else on the wrist the band is on (I'm righty and find it works better on my left wrist, so I am stuck with wearing my watch on the wrong side and it drives me a bit crazy). But I will tell you it works like a charm for me, and I can get nauseous on a kiddie ride. I poked around on the internet, it seems they have discontinued the model I have and they're now selling for a lot more money. I paid about $70 on drugstore.com; they're going for more than that now. It works this well--they prescribe them (with prescription coverage) for nauseous pregnant women and people undergoing chemo. Google around a bit--I think ebay may have them too.

The short answer is yes they work.

The two stories I have are 1. My MIL who gets sick in the car wore it on a cruise two years ago and never got even a hint of of sea sickness. 2. I was fishing on my companies 65' sports fishing boat off the coast of Ensenada while wearing the band and feeling the electric buzz but still started feeling very nautious (I never get sick on a cruise ship but the smaller ships get me every time) I quickly read the directions again and I realized that I had it in the wrong location on my wrist so I moved it to the right spot and felt better in minutes. In fact I was able to eat a breakeast of bacon and eggs on the ship with in 30 minutes. The only problem I had was the ZAP I got when I but my arm with the Relief Band in the Bait tank.

What is a Philip Stein watch?:confused:

barb 65

Well...... They are highly praised by the ships' shopping experts, so we caved in and bought one for me, one for DH. DH swears his makes him feel more relaxed. Being a naturally laid back kind of person, I can't really tell that it does anything for me. But I wear it anyway. Check it out here:

http://www.philipstein.com/

We were on a sailboat one morning after celebrating our anniversary a little too happily the night before. Just when I was thinking I was going to be embarrassing myself, and what was I doing on a boat in the hot sun that day anyway, I was offered one of those electronic pulse bands. I was flabbergasted by, first, the fact that it worked, and then that it worked so quickly, all day long. I almost bought one for my daughter when she was pregnant (wish I had, because now I have a daughter-in-law that gets seasick, so I think I'll be buying one anyway).

Ginger pills don't do a thing for me.

Candied Ginger works for me, its more instant then the pills, which can be hard to absorb into system

I've seen the "Relief Band" mentioned on here before, and someone mentioned it again today. I would like to know if there is anyone who has used one of these, and it did NOT work to prevent your seasickness. Or give me your rave reviews of it. If I'm going to get one, I need to order it soon, but I'd like some more input on it first. Thanks. :)

PS - I wear a Philip Stein watch. Would I need to take it off when wearing the Relief Band?

I didnt take my bands when i went cruising, however i used them when pregnant, they did help, but not 100%. Its also really important to place them in the correct spot on wrist, read package, but i believe its 2 fingers down from bend in wrist, with "button" placed inbetween your 2 umm what do you properly call them? lol, umm lets just say cords, feelyour inside wrist and there are 2 cords, place dead center bettween the 2, 2 fingers down. (that make sense?) They wont work well if not in correct spot. Also because they are not super low on wrist you can wear a thin strap watch, just dont wear it too tight.

o and no need to order, you can get them at wallmart or a drug store, i believe they were with the travel stuff, but just ask, they are not hard to find. hope they help, and you are sick free while cruising! I get carsick, and was worried before our first cruise, fortunatly ginger candy worked for me and that was all i needed, with exeption of one really rough sea day.

I have a terrible time w/ motion sickness. All I can say is Thank God I had thought to put the bands in my carryon or I would have been in bed the entire cruise. The meds did nothing for me and still don't. I bought the bands to wear to the State Fair here and normally keep them in my purse for the just in cases but something told me to put them in my carryon bag at the last minute:). Have fun on your cruise.

Archived