Just got Back from Celebration and bomb scare

GreatBridge

If you were not there you don't know what it feels like to be told that your shuttle dfriver that picked you up at the airport cannot drop you off. Thank goodness he kept telling them that he had a ninety year old woman with him and he wasn't just going to drop her off in town. Finally we were allowed in the parking lot. This was at 12:22. We were given water and portable toilets, but never was their any food forthcoming. I know that it wasa not Carnival's fault and I kept saying that all day, so no I'm not complaining about them. My complaint came from not being told what to expect and just to load our luggage on the bused with us, no storage on buses, and wait. WE were told over and over that at least it is airconditioned. Hey I can stand some heat if I'm hydrated and fed. Part of my group made it one the ship and alll was good there. With cell phone updates, they knew nothing about what was going on until I told them. The were eating and partying until we finally got on the ship at 7:30. We left home at 5:00 am to go the the airport and belive me that was a long day. I know we have tighter security these days and do appreciate it, butwhen you are caught in a position like we were we at least felt that it could have gone faster and smoother. Of course we wanted a safe cruise. Oh and by the way despite all of the set backs, I enjoyed my first cruise and will give a thorough review soon. We also stopped on Sunday night to give aid to a small boat until the coast guard could get to them. That only took another our after just sailing the night before at 10:3o instead of 4:00. I think the cruise gods did not want us to visit Key West for some strange reason, but we made it on time. More later, but please don't judge people who complain because you were not in the situation. There were couples who got split up one on the ship and one off, another family already had their bags in the terminal when they were told to evacuate and they had packed the babies extra formula and ran out of what they had to carry on. The baby was only months old. If you did not drive to the port you had no way to get out as they wouldn't allow anyone to come in once the vans left after dropping off airport passengers. It was a bad situation for all concerned, but not Carnival's fault for sure.

You were given a portable toilet? What in the world is that? Yikes!!

So sorry you had to experience that, I know it had to be scary, and very frustrating.... I always take a few protein bars with me whenever I travel, just in case. It is frustrating to be hot, tired, and hungry...

but I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise!!!!!

i can feel your pain a little bit. we cruised the fantasy 4 days after 9/11 it took a couple of hours to get on the boat, but nothing like what you went through. at least you kept a positive attitude about it, that's more than most would do.

i can feel your pain a little bit. we cruised the fantasy 4 days after 9/11 it took a couple of hours to get on the boat, but nothing like what you went through. at least you kept a positive attitude about it, that's more than most would do.

My sister and BIL were on a princess cruise and left 9-9 or 9-10

They were passing one of the bars with a TV and saw a crowd.. they were in shock... Especially since she knew I had an appointment that morning at the Port Authority

Thankfully I woke up late..They said princess treated the entire guests wonderfully.. free phone calls, free fax..

They had CNN on in the theater much of the days..

Cant believe its 6 yrs ago...

hey

yea... and its on a tuesday (again) this year..

My MIL was visiting us when 9/11 happened. She never came back to visit us 'til this year. :p She's in my family room watching the news as I type.

My sister and BIL were on a princess cruise and left 9-9 or 9-10

They were passing one of the bars with a TV and saw a crowd.. they were in shock... Especially since she knew I had an appointment that morning at the Port Authority

Thankfully I woke up late..They said princess treated the entire guests wonderfully.. free phone calls, free fax..

They had CNN on in the theater much of the days..

Cant believe its 6 yrs ago...

It is hard to believe... I still have my 9/12 unused plane tickets to NYC. Glad you slept in Toni!!!!

My MIL was visiting us when 9/11 happened. She never came back to visit us 'til this year. :p She's in my family room watching the news as I type.

It scarred a lot of people. My brother was a first repsonder- (long island fireman)

His best friend, NYFD died in the collapse..

My brother died a year and half later due to respiratory illness. 36 yrs old

It scarred a lot of people. My brother was a first repsonder- (long island fireman)

I'm so sorry :(

OP, sorry for the hijack...

Toni, I'm very sorry to hear about your lose - my family is all NYPD or NYFD - I'm not sure if you'll remember the group of NYFD that rode thier bikes from New York to Pasadena, CA - stopping at various fire houses along the way to say thank you - but, the firefighter who organized that is my cousin. He was off-duty when it happened. He was stationed in the house directly across the street from the towers.

9/11 scars still run deep, every anniversary it's fresh again.

OP You are a TRUE cruiser, with a horrible start to your vacation and you had a good time:D I can't imagine having to mobilize temporary accommodations in a short notice for a bomb threat. Consider giving your complaints, cheers and suggestions to the port authority. Any feedback may help smooth things over for the next time.... it might make a difference!

Waiting for that review, take care

Toni, I'm very sorry to hear about your lose - my family is all NYPD or NYFD - I'm not sure if you'll remember the group of NYFD that rode thier bikes from New York to Pasadena, CA - stopping at various fire houses along the way to say thank you - but, the firefighter who organized that is my cousin. He was off-duty when it happened. He was stationed in the house directly across the street from the towers.

Thank you!

YES I do remember that !!

The worst day in our lives brought out the best in us...

9/11 scars still run deep, every anniversary it's fresh again.

I hear ya. I was stuck in Midtown. My sister worked at 2 WTC and luckily was running late and on the PATH train between Grove Street and Exchange Place. They kicked her off the train to send it to evacuate the station. It only got halfway there before the tunnel started cracking.

If you were not there you don't know what it feels like to be told that your shuttle dfriver that picked you up at the airport cannot drop you off. Thank goodness he kept telling them that he had a ninety year old woman with him and he wasn't just going to drop her off in town. Finally we were allowed in the parking lot. This was at 12:22. We were given water and portable toilets, but never was their any food forthcoming. I know that it wasa not Carnival's fault and I kept saying that all day, so no I'm not complaining about them. My complaint came from not being told what to expect and just to load our luggage on the bused with us, no storage on buses, and wait. WE were told over and over that at least it is airconditioned. Hey I can stand some heat if I'm hydrated and fed. Part of my group made it one the ship and alll was good there. With cell phone updates, they knew nothing about what was going on until I told them. The were eating and partying until we finally got on the ship at 7:30. We left home at 5:00 am to go the the airport and belive me that was a long day. I know we have tighter security these days and do appreciate it, butwhen you are caught in a position like we were we at least felt that it could have gone faster and smoother. Of course we wanted a safe cruise. Oh and by the way despite all of the set backs, I enjoyed my first cruise and will give a thorough review soon. We also stopped on Sunday night to give aid to a small boat until the coast guard could get to them. That only took another our after just sailing the night before at 10:3o instead of 4:00. I think the cruise gods did not want us to visit Key West for some strange reason, but we made it on time. More later, but please don't judge people who complain because you were not in the situation. There were couples who got split up one on the ship and one off, another family already had their bags in the terminal when they were told to evacuate and they had packed the babies extra formula and ran out of what they had to carry on. The baby was only months old. If you did not drive to the port you had no way to get out as they wouldn't allow anyone to come in once the vans left after dropping off airport passengers. It was a bad situation for all concerned, but not Carnival's fault for sure.

I was on that cruise with you. I was one of the lucky ones who got on the ship before the shut down. I love the $15.00 carnival is giving everyone. LOL. Did you see when we left Key west the 3 guys walking down the Lido deck?? One had and M-16 the other a shot gun, and the other a 9 mm hand gun. I NEVER SEEN THAT ON A CRUISE SHIP BEFORE. I said as they past I hope you are not looking for me.

I hear ya. I was stuck in Midtown. My sister worked at 2 WTC and luckily was running late and on the PATH train between Grove Street and Exchange Place. They kicked her off the train to send it to evacuate the station. It only got halfway there before the tunnel started cracking.

Mind blowing right? Where is the world headed to

Nice Avatar..

Mind blowing right? Where is the world headed to

I dunno, I just hold on tight and enjoy the ride, LOL. Seriously though, this year (so far) isn't feeling as bad as last year. Probably because it's not a big anniversary. I just wish they'd take Deutsche down and be done with it.

Nice Avatar..

Thanks!

I dunno, I just hold on tight and enjoy the ride, LOL. Seriously though, this year (so far) isn't feeling as bad as last year. Probably because it's not a big anniversary. I just wish they'd take Deutsche down and be done with it.

Thanks!

Agreed.. Time does heal

The Deutsche Bank was a disaster waiting to happen and still is as the city points fingers at each other!

We went on the QE2 transatlantic from Boston (should have been NY) on 9/16/01.

We got to the cruise terminal (that was totally unprepared), and then there was another bomb threat and the ship had to move a mile off shore. By the time we got on, we had been waiting for at least 10 hours, with no food, no drinks, no shade and no information. Watching aircraft taking off over our heads 5 days after 9/11. It was a scary and very frustratign experience.

The ship finally sailed at midnight, it was meant to leave at 5pm.

We were at Disney world on 9-11. They closed the parks. It was surreal, everyone was walking aorund in a daze. It was so quiet. There were lots of people that were suppose to fly home, I think Disney let them stay for free.

I am sure it was awful, awful, awful: I am glad you aren't not blaming Carnival, so often, it is natural for people to put the blame on the cruise line. In spite of everything, you had a good cruise and will remember it for years to come. LOL, more ways than one, I am sure.

nita

We were at Disney world on 9-11. They closed the parks. It was surreal, everyone was walking aorund in a daze. It was so quiet. There were lots of people that were suppose to fly home, I think Disney let them stay for free.

I doubt greedy Disney let them stay for free. !

Archived