Why does Seabourn not cruise Australia/Pacific

Jaffa

Can anyone tell me why not?

They are the only cruiseline at the top end that does not.

Except for Seadream which due to there size is understandable.

The Spirit was in Australia in 2006.....we embarked in Cairns. She was also in Sydney, Brisbane, Hayman Island, Darwin and Thursday Island, as well as some ports in New Zealand. I believe the seas were a bit rough between NZ and Oz. We actually embarked a few hours before Cyclone Larry hit the coast, us heading North and Larry heading South.

Quite simply, the sea's can be too rough!! We sailed the 14 days from Auckland to Cairns and all but the last three days were unbelievably rough. The yachts are just too small to take this beating. Let's hope that the newer builts can manage this area.

I don't follow all this talk of rough seas, etc. We embarked the Spirit in Feb. of 2006 in Fiji and spent 28 days cruising NZ and Australia. Except for the crossing in the Tasman Sea everything was very calm. We disembarked in Cairns and the next day the storm hit that area. Haven't checked if and when they're doing it again 'cause we've done it!

PittsburghJack,

The worst storms I have ever sailed through occurred during a Trans-Pacific crossing in August 1989 on the Royal Viking Sea. After departing from Vancouver and sailing through the Inside Passage we headed for open waters and for almost 72 hours endured Beaufort Force 11 — Violent Storm winds of almost 70 miles per hour and waves 40 feet high! We could not go outside and the constant pitching up and down meant they had to shut down the elevators and we all pretty much stayed in our cabins. I remember every now and then when the ship was only supported amidships in a large wave or swell (bow and propellers out of the sea) the hull would shudder and it felt like an earthquake!

After leaving our only port call on the crossing Dutch Harbor, Alaska and the protection of the Aleutian Island chain, it got really rough again. The winds had calmed down to Beaufort Force 7 or 8 (can’t remember) — Near Gale or Gale with a sea height of 20 feet. Since our course was changing for Tokyo, the ship really rolled from side to side. So, for the next 3 nights, I had to sleep with my arms and legs “spread eagle” to prevent being rolled out of bed! The last two days of the crossing the sea was calm and it was sunny and hot.

Below is a photo sequence of the ship plowing through a 20 ft high wave (scanned from 35 mm slides)

Storm1.jpg

Storm2.jpg

Storm3.jpg

Storm4.jpg

After that crossing, I amended my packing list to include non-drowsy Dramamine in my carry-on.

two years ago sailing diamond princess in the Tasman sea we were not able to outrun the tailend of a typhoon and was that an experience. I remeber being in the disco near the funnel watching the letters to diamond princess peel off and hit the windows of the disco. We docked in tazmania for 2 days for repairs. Hobart was wonderful!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived