Please don't let your cabin door SLAM shut

Glama

Out of courtesy to your fellow cruisers, it would be nice if you didn't let your cabin doors or balcony doors slam shut. There is nothing worse than being woken up out of a dead sleep by a constant SLAM SLAM SLAM which shakes the walls, especially in the early morning or late at night. It doesn't take much to close it gently. :) It's safer too, my husband cut open the top of his toe because the cabin door shut so quickly, ouch.

Out of courtesy to your fellow cruisers, it would be nice if you didn't let your cabin doors or balcony doors slam shut. There is nothing worse than being woken up out of a dead sleep by a constant SLAM SLAM SLAM which shakes the walls, especially in the early morning or late at night. It doesn't take much to close it gently. :) It's safer too, my husband cut open the top of his toe because the cabin door shut so quickly, ouch.

Your last line is exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes those balcony doors were stronger than me! I'm sure some people don't ever think about disturbing the neighbors but we tried to be very quiet and I know of at least once our balcony door slammed shut and I was just glad I had gotten out of the way.

Yep, those doors can (and probably have) seriously injure people! Especially when you have your balcony door open and the cabin door open at the same time, watch out, and hold onto small children.

On our Destiny cruise, we had huge families near our cabin, with people coming and going constantly, in/out, in/out, and I swear, those people didn't have the manners they were born with. Who could NOT know that the constant LOUD slamming could annoy others??

I agree 100%! We just had the same problem in a hotel. However......as one that gets up earlier than my spouse, I know how hard those doors are to close "quietly" too. I try to sneak out for coffee and it is almost impossible to do! I have to give it a good tug to get it to close and it still makes some noise. They are heavy doors; my son smashed his finger in the bathroom door a few years ago....really nasty but the nurse on board took good care of him.

I can totally understand the occassional slam, but when it is every time someone goes in and out, it gets annoying!

My friend said when she went on a cruise last year, one group of college aged guys and girls kept slamming the doors, yelling in the halls at 3 in the morning, and chasing each other up and down the hallway.:mad: Anyway, she, her husband, and the 3 couples they were cruising with figured out which rooms they were in. One morning they decided to get even. My friend and her group got up for a sunrise breakfast, as they passed each of the rooms the college group had, they would fall against their doors, jiggle the handles, and my friend's husband sang, "Good morning to you, good morning to you, good morning dear partiers, now you hear us too!":eek:

I told her that a lot of innocent people were probably affected by this, but the late night shin-digs stopped!:D

I think some people don't think when they walk out of their rooms or onto their balconies. I always close mines quietly but hard enough to make sure it locks (cabin door). My aunt thought hers was close (she was trying to close it without making too much noise) and she went back to her room to get something and the door had not closed all the way. So you really don't have to slam the cabin doors, just pull hard enough to make sure its locked.

Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the cruiseline to install a piston type closing device?

If people did not use bungee cords it would also end the wind tunnel which causes a hard close.

Other ideas

Can you order room service later in the morning so the knocking on the door does not wake me?

Can you shut your phone also.

Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the cruiseline to install a piston type closing device?

If people did not use bungee cords it would also end the wind tunnel which causes a hard close.

Other ideas

Can you order room service later in the morning so the knocking on the door does not wake me?

Can you shut your phone also.

What time can I order my breakfast room service so I don't wake you?

What time can I set my wake up call so I don't wake you?

I get an inside cabin so the bungee cord is not a problem and the first you need to send to the cruise line for action.

And you should use ear plugs like I do if you are that sensitive to noise, like I am, they do work wonders.

Have a nice day!

I agree with everything else in this thread but the room service.... meh... sorry, 6am or 630 room service is as late as I'm ordering. The whole point is to have it as soon as I get up. :(

It never seems to fail that someone very near (next to or across from us) is a late night door slammer AND someone else is the early morning slammer. We can usually find the morning one, ask kindly and it stops. But the late night one is a bit tougher as they are usually partiers and even when they smile, and say how sorry they are and it won't happen again...well, they party again and it does happen again. I like to enjoy my cruise as much as the next cabin full of folks but I am with all or you, Please, PLEASE, don't slam the door over and over and over again. The people next to us on my last cruise called the front desk several times on the cabin across from them for the late night noise but I really never noticed a big change until night 4 when someone from security stopped by to "talk" with them. After that it was so quiet. But our neighbors received a "hate" note the last morning. It really shook them up and they went to security with it. We saw them as we were leaving the ship and they said that since the cruise was over, nothing was going to be done about the threats. It is a shame, people cannot just remember some basic manners and treat others like they would want to be treated.

We had a balcony cabin on our first Miracle cruise and the family in the next cabin had two kids that had never been taught to hold the handle so that the door doesn't slam shut. Embarkation day when they were excited was endless - - it ended up giving me the giggles every time it happened after the first thousand times.

Next time I'll knock on the neighbours door and let them know that if their door slamming gives them a headache I have lots of tylenol to share.:D

Payd:)

I agree, not only that but people make so much noise in the hallways they don't think that at midnight or 2:00 a.m. people are sleeping and they come down the hallways like it is 2:00 in the afternoon. They get into their rooms and sometimes continue on with whatever party atmosphere they just left. Those rooms sometimes are not that noise proof.

It's usually quiet in the hallways at 2pm, cuz everyone is out on the Lido deck or on an excursion! :D

Noise usually doesn't bother me, unless it's very obnoxious, like a couple screaming and fighting in the next room.

We had our first balcony in February on the Liberty. I had read many times on this site to bring bungee cords for the blacony, and to also have the partition opened between cabins, so that's what we did. It couldn't be taken off altogether, so we had to bungee it to keep it from slamming back and forth. The cord kept breaking, as the breeze is very strong out there, even on a calm day. After it broke loose and banged all night (I never heard a thing, and my bunk was right next to the balcony door!:eek: ) we had the partition closed up again. Lesson learned, but I'm sure my neighbors weren't too happy with us. . .:o

I think most of the time it is just an accident with the balcony doors and closet doors, and after it happens most people pay more attention to these doors. But, on one of our cruises our next door neighbors woke us up at about 6:00am with all the slamming of their closet doors and to make matters worse the older gentlemen proceeded to start yelling at his poor wife about everything....he must have really needed a cup of coffee bad! This went on for about 20 minutes. That night we came back to our cabin around 2:00 am and we let ourselves in very quietly, then I decide to go back out.......my husband was giving me the "no don't you dare look" and I must admit it was mean especially to the folks on the other side of us, but I did the "big slam". Needless to say we never heard another sound from our noisy neighbors. Mary

With our last balcony on Conquest, if the front door was open and someone opened the balcony the suction would slam the front door shut. We had alot of people in and out of so it was kinda a problem but it was an accident. And the balcony was very hard to shut so we had to basically slam it closed to get it to catch so we could lock it. Good thing we were in the back and our friends were all around us.

I think most of the time it is just an accident with the balcony doors and closet doors, and after it happens most people pay more attention to these doors. But, on one of our cruises our next door neighbors woke us up at about 6:00am with all the slamming of their closet doors and to make matters worse the older gentlemen proceeded to start yelling at his poor wife about everything....he must have really needed a cup of coffee bad! This went on for about 20 minutes. That night we came back to our cabin around 2:00 am and we let ourselves in very quietly, then I decide to go back out.......my husband was giving me the "no don't you dare look" and I must admit it was mean especially to the folks on the other side of us, but I did the "big slam". Needless to say we never heard another sound from our noisy neighbors. Mary

I know those neighbors.:mad:

I admit, I am a late riser...noon time, but no one thinks to shut their trap at 12 noon.They assume that everyone is up.SO how do I get a chance to sleep at noon? Just like those who go to bed early have to deal with people like me.

I have learned that sadly our society is long on ignorance and short on manners...so I wear ear plugs every night!!

Both our boys (even at 5 and 8) knew better. They also knew that 10PM in the hallways of the cabins and in the cabin itself ... meant quiet time!!

When they were about 8 and 11, I will never forget a neighbor on one side commented at the end of the cruise that they had dreaded to see us arrive with 2 boys of that age. They were amazed that they never heard them. Both boys were required to be in bed by 10pm every night until they were 15...then they got to stay up until midnight!! And they knew that if they were in that cabin after 10pm, all I had better hear was the sound of them breathing!! (and that better not be to loud!!!)

Now the oldest is 19 and he can come in at whatever time he wants...as long as he does not wake me up in the process. He never has!!

I have learned that sadly our society is long on ignorance and short on manners...so I wear ear plugs every night!!

Both our boys (even at 5 and 8) knew better. They also knew that 10PM in the hallways of the cabins and in the cabin itself ... meant quiet time!!

When they were about 8 and 11, I will never forget a neighbor on one side commented at the end of the cruise that they had dreaded to see us arrive with 2 boys of that age. They were amazed that they never heard them. Both boys were required to be in bed by 10pm every night until they were 15...then they got to stay up until midnight!! And they knew that if they were in that cabin after 10pm, all I had better hear was the sound of them breathing!! (and that better not be to loud!!!)

Now the oldest is 19 and he can come in at whatever time he wants...as long as he does not wake me up in the process. He never has!!

It's nice to know some people still raise their children with consideration & manners- I would have been one of those people dreading 2 boys next to me!

Archived