Newbie question

coffee39

DH and I are booking a cruisetour to Alaska in 2008. We want to see the wildlife. How early can we go and still see the salmon run and all the bear out to get them. Hubby wants to go in early June as it is cheaper but I don't want to go too early and miss seeing the bear feeding on salmon.

Kenai RiverKing Salmon Early run: mid May to early July. Late run: late June through mid August.Red Salmon Mid July to early August.Silver Salmon Late July through September.Pink Salmon Mid July to Mid September

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/finfish/salmon/uci/kenaitext.php

Other areas vary. I was told the run this year was late because there was a lot of snow last year...

DH and I are booking a cruisetour to Alaska in 2008. We want to see the wildlife. How early can we go and still see the salmon run and all the bear out to get them. Hubby wants to go in early June as it is cheaper but I don't want to go too early and miss seeing the bear feeding on salmon.

You'll find information about all the best bear viewing areas (with the best times) at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/nature/alaska_bear_viewing.html (there's no good viewing in June, and all good viewing requires expensive excursions, though).

Murray

With a cruisetour, you are not going to get bears and salmon, unless you go July or later and pay for a fly in tour on the inside passage. You will NOT have any opportunity to do so, with a fixed scheduled interior Alaska cruisetour. IF you want to consider independent, there is fantastic fly in tours out of Homer, and a few out of Anchorage.

For clairfication, there is NO salmon in Denali Park.

Archived