Tipping before boarding

angelsfort

Quick Story.

First Cruise onboard the Holiday back in around 1985, right off the bus in Miami, the porter told me that if I didnt tip I wouldnt see my luggage.

Fred

Our porter told us basically the same thing. I thought it was kind of rude of him insisting that we tip him. We were going to anyway but I was really kind of put off with him telling us if we didn't tip him we would not see our luggage for a long time.

Thats too bad because, on my cruises, (knock on wood) we saw our steward every day and like 5 times during that day while working hard in other cabins close by. Always a very nice happy polite "hello Mr Fred" :)

Anyone else have the same experience with your steward?

Fred

Unforturnately, I would have to agree with the above poster. BUT, this is NOT saying he did not do a good job! Unfortunately, he was assigned 3 different floor levels of rooms to clean/take care of. I know! We we at the bow of the ship, and he was hardly ever to be found...Not that I didn't think he wasn't working, and we alwasy had an exuberuntly cleaned room...but...he was just hard to find....(which is why sticky notes were great!!!!):D

Our friends, who stayed on the same deck, but down the halll, had a dffernet room steward,a nd he was always visible~cleaning, working, folding carnival caper papers....etc. He was great. We even asked him for something, even though eh WASN'T even our steward. Of, course, we even gave him a tip at the end of the cruise too!:cool:

Last year at the port of Miami we had 4 bags a rolling carry on and my laptop case. I tipped the porter $10, to my surprise, he tossed my luggage into the bin told us to hold on, grabbed the carry on and laptop case from me and sang as he led us around the line in a side door and to the front of the line. Worth every penny!! Porters are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get. :eek:

Last year at the port of Miami we had 4 bags a rolling carry on and my laptop case. I tipped the porter $10, to my surprise, he tossed my luggage into the bin told us to hold on, grabbed the carry on and laptop case from me and sang as he led us around the line in a side door and to the front of the line. Worth every penny!! Porters are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get. :eek:

[uN]Fortunatly, if you treat them nice, they will treat you nice, but if you don't...well, what they say about your bags not getting there might be true!!!!:confused: :eek:

Archived