Optional Tours in Talkeetna and Denali

floridians heading north

We are on a Celebrity Cruise Tour June 18-30. Thank you all for your advice on excursions during the cruise. We are now looking at excursions for the tour part. We have some time available in Talkeetna and Denali.

How cold do you get on the Denali white water rafting trip? We are Floridians and my family does not enjoy getting very cold for very long. Is the float trip as enjoyable as the white water rafting?

Finally, what excursions do you recommend in Talkeetna. Thank you all ina advance for your suggestions. We can't wait for our trip.

We are also going on the Celebrity land tour but in July. We have booked the Nenana River Raft Float Trip which is the milder of the two. I have no idea how cold it will be. I will be interested in hearing what others have to say.

We are doing a Circle Denali Flightseeing tour with Doug Geeting Aviation in Talkeetna. Doug was very informative and friendly when we booked. Gave us several alternatives if weather is bad. It sounds like flightseeing may be the best way to see Mount McKinley...especially if it is cloudy. We found several other flightseeing companies that had good reputations in Talkeetna. Some fly directly over the peak, others circle. Lots of opinions on this board about the best tour, but we decided on the circle tour with a glacier landing. I am hoping I enjoy the small plane experience.

Be certain to book an operator that uses DRY suits if going white water on the Nenana. very cold water. This area is only so so in my opinion. Scenery is everywhere in Alaska and the rafting is kind of repeative. In Talkeetan the top tour are the flights, I have gone on several but my clear preference is the summit flights. A great deal can depend on your flying experience and the ski planes can be fun. Talkeetna has a Ranger station with climbing exhibits and there is also the Talkeetna museum. Have lunch at the Roadhouse. I also always eat at the Latitude.

Archived