Need info on JFK airport parking

nikita

Anyone have experience with the long term parking at JFK? We have to leave our car there for 14 days and it would the least expensive place to park it - but we were wondering...does the long term parking lot fill up and how often do the buses come around to take people to their terminal? Any other info would be appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

I have used the long term lot but generally prefer Avistar Parking, particularly if you have a lot of luggage. The Avistar lot is closer to the airport than the long term lot and is generally less expensive. You can get a coupon and reservation (no cost reservation) from their web site.

The long term lot generally does not fill up but you have to park a really far distance from the Airtrain. You really need to have someone with you so you can drop the person and the luggage at the Airtrain and then park. The buses in the lot come around every 10 minutes or so but without luggage (you dropped it off) and no rain I would generally walk (hike) to the Airtrain. They do have the luggage carts available for your use but it is still a little pain to maneuver the luggage around.

Avistar lets you bring your car into the drop off area where their staff will move the luggage from your car to their courtesy bus and then take you to your terminal. When you get back you call them on their 800 number and they tell you where outside the terminal to wait for their bus. Everytime except once the bus came to pick us up within 10 minutes but once it took 45 minutes and that was painful. They bring you back to their lot where they have moved your car to the departure area and it is running (nice if it is winter). I did have one occasion when the entrance into Avistar was so backed up that I gave up and went to the long term lot. Since there is no cost for the reservation this was not too painful.

I would try Avistar as my first choice.

I've had no problem with the long term parking at JFK. My husband and I have used it for a couple of trips out of NY, and it's usually a bit of a walk to the airtrain (picture walking across a crowded mall parking lot) but not unmanageable. And the Airtrain picks up every 15 minutes or so. Very convenient. Now LaGuardia, on the other hand, that is a different nightmaric story. :eek:

Thank you all for your answers. I was under the impression you had to pre-pay for avistar so it is nice to know you don't. I think we will give it a try first but nice to know the long term parking area isn't as much of a pain as I thought it would be. Thank you all again!!

Just throwing in my 2 cents on Avistar. I will always use them if I can. It is very convenient. Just make sure to make a reservation if you're going on a popular vacation week. Several times when I have arrived there was a sign that indicated they were full, unless you had a reservation.

Not only must you make reservations but also print off a coupon. One caution, I did this on one vacation and carefully placed the coupon in my file folder for the trip. I made the parking reservation so far in advance that the coupon had expired. While they did honor it I now always go back to the Avistar site and print a "fresh" coupon a few weeks before my trip to make sure I don't make the same mistake.

Not only must you make reservations but also print off a coupon. One caution, I did this on one vacation and carefully placed the coupon in my file folder for the trip. I made the parking reservation so far in advance that the coupon had expired. While they did honor it I now always go back to the Avistar site and print a "fresh" coupon a few weeks before my trip to make sure I don't make the same mistake.

excellent also Avistar tends to print coupons in the AAA magazine that are very good. Reservations are not always required but some weekends they take reservations only. Use the coupons they save a lot.

the website is http://www.avistarparking.com

Thanks all! I made my reservations and also printed the coupon and checked the expiration date (great tip). This was the last detail we needed to take care of so I'm thankful to all of you for making it easy!

Archived