Green Grotto Cave

wernew2cruising

We went to the Green Grotto Caves/Runaway Caves on our honeymoon--almost 20 years ago. It was not with a ship excursion but with a land excursion and was combined with a trip to Dunns River Falls. It is a fairly large cave. We hiked with a tour group for 3/4 of a mile through the caves and could see some interesting limestone formations. We also passed the 3/4 mile tunnel which slaves used to escape to the sea. We then descended some stairs in the cave to get to an underground pool of water fed by salt and fresh water. This is some 120 feet below the ground and is home to blind eel and crayfish. The James Bond movie: "Live and Let Die" has a scene filmed in this location. Down here, the guide turned off all the lights, so that we could see how dark it really is. It was pitch black and you couldn't even see your hand in front of your face! We also went for a boat ride in this water--120 feet below the earth. There was a band called the "Caveman Band" playing reggae music in the cave. You could also buy drinks at Black Beard's Saloon.

Since we were here 20 years ago, I do not know how much it has changed--but it was an interesting excursion. Royal Caribbean does offer a shore excursion to the Green Grotto Caves and Dunns River Falls.

We went to the Green Grotto Caves/Runaway Caves on our honeymoon--almost 20 years ago. It was not with a ship excursion but with a land excursion and was combined with a trip to Dunns River Falls. It is a fairly large cave. We hiked with a tour group for 3/4 of a mile through the caves and could see some interesting limestone formations. We also passed the 3/4 mile tunnel which slaves used to escape to the sea. We then descended some stairs in the cave to get to an underground pool of water fed by salt and fresh water. This is some 120 feet below the ground and is home to blind eel and crayfish. The James Bond movie: "Live and Let Die" has a scene filmed in this location. Down here, the guide turned off all the lights, so that we could see how dark it really is. It was pitch black and you couldn't even see your hand in front of your face! We also went for a boat ride in this water--120 feet below the earth. There was a band called the "Caveman Band" playing reggae music in the cave. You could also buy drinks at Black Beard's Saloon.

Since we were here 20 years ago, I do not know how much it has changed--but it was an interesting excursion. Royal Caribbean does offer a shore excursion to the Green Grotto Caves and Dunns River Falls.

Thank you so much for responding. We are on a Princess cruise which does have a similiar excursion..the only problem is..I really don't want to climb Dunn's falls. I just want to see it and take pictures. From what I have gethered from our roll call this is not feasible.:(

Thank you so much for responding. We are on a Princess cruise which does have a similiar excursion..the only problem is..I really don't want to climb Dunn's falls. I just want to see it and take pictures. From what I have gethered from our roll call this is not feasible.:(

You don't have to climd the falls you can see it and take pictures as you wish.you pay your entrance fee and instead of climbing the falls walk along side the falls and take your pictures.

I agree with "swier". You do not have to climb the Falls. You can walk the steps that run along the side of the Falls and take pictures, no problem! There are also spots along the steps, where you can step into the water if you like and then go back out again.

Archived