Calais train to Paris?

jspirit

Does anybody know how long the train ride is from Calais to Paris?

Am I correct that the ferry from Dover to Calais is about 60 - 90 minutes?

More 90 than 60 Minutes... if you are going by P&O Ferries.

More 75 than 60 Minutes... if you are going by SeaFrance.

Between 10.00 hrs and 20.00 hrs (French Time) there is a shuttle available between Ferry Terminal and Calais Ville Railways Station (stops only on request!!!) for 1.50 EUR.

The fastest connection on the daytime is a TGV-High-Speed-Train connection with 1.56 hrs but this trains does not operate on Sunday.

Otherwise it's between 2.40hrs and 3.40hrs and you have at least one transfer in

Lille Flandres

Hazebrouck

Boulogne Ville

If you are unlucky you have additional transfers in

Calais-Frethun

Arras

or

a walk of 20 minutes to get from Lille Flandres to Lille Europe.

Another option you can use:

Take National Express coach from Dover Ferry Terminal to Paris. So you have the ferry but your baggage is loaded already in Dover on the bus which takes you after the arrival of the ferry directly to Paris.

Or easier:

take the train from Dover to Ashford International. And from there the Eurostar Train to Paris. It might be more convenient. But if you are a hard-core-shiplover you might dislike to use the tunnel instead of the ferry.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Exactly the same:

Train from Paris to Calais Ville + Ferry from Calais to Dover Eastern Docks:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage?_DLG=SvHomePage&_CMD=cmdHomepageUK&WB=HP&rfrr=4685ac17fd2e7656e4918c53b246a3f7

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/

or

http://www.seafrance.com/seafrance/opencms/continental/en/passenger/index.html

High-Speed-Train Eurostar from Paris to Ashford International + Local train from Ashford International to Dover Priory Street

http://www.eurostar.com/dynamic/_SvBoExpressBookingTerm?_TMS=1188717472175&_DLG=SvBoExpressBookingTerm&_LANG=UK&_AGENCY=ESTAR&lang=UK&country=US&VT=EB

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

Coach from Paris to Dover Eastern Docks:

http://www.eurolines.fr/Pages/FR/webV2/home.jsp

(Pays d'arrivée = Destination Country = Grande Bretagne; Ville d'arrivée = Destination City = Douvres; Ville de départ = Departure City = Paris Gallieni; Aller simple = one way)

Just for information same service but UK-site:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/eurolines/home/hp.cfm

The Cruise Terminal in Dover is located at the Western Docks. Therefore you must cover yourself the section from Ferry Terminal (Eastern Docks) to Western Docks or from Dover Priory Street Railways Station to Western Docks.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Or easier:

take the train from Dover to Ashford International. And from there the Eurostar Train to Paris. It might be more convenient. But if you are a hard-core-shiplover you might dislike to use the tunnel instead of the ferry.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I had hoped to take a taxi from Dover to Ashford and then board the Eurostar. Sounds like the fastest and most simple plan. Only problem is that since I booked my airfare home from Paris, I found out that they are changing the station to St. Pancras, which is much further from Dover, right? Have you heard any news that they just might keep some trains stopping in Ashford? We are talking about July 25,2008 to be exact.

I have searched the Eurostar website and just don't have an answer yet for this.

Thanks you very much for all your help! ( I know I can only book 9 months out).

I had hoped to take a taxi from Dover to Ashford and then board the Eurostar. Sounds like the fastest and most simple plan. Only problem is that since I booked my airfare home from Paris, I found out that they are changing the station to St. Pancras, which is much further from Dover, right? Have you heard any news that they just might keep some trains stopping in Ashford? We are talking about July 25,2008 to be exact.

I have searched the Eurostar website and just don't have an answer yet for this.

Thanks you very much for all your help! ( I know I can only book 9 months out).

It's too early:

July 2008 is part of the summer schedule 2008 which begins around May/June 2008. So have a look again in March/April 2008.

The actual plannings are 4 daily trains of the Paris - London line should still stop at Ashford International. No stops anymore only on the Brussels - London line.

So have some patience until spring 2008.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you like to "play":

July 25, 2008 = Friday.

The last available Friday: May 23, 2008.

Actually: 07.25 hrs, 10.58 hrs and 16.55 hrs (transit time less than 2 hours).

So still 3 departures on a Friday.

You can roughly count: if there is no more general change it should not be rescheduled too far away from 10.58 hrs.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I found out that they are changing the station to St. Pancras, which is much further from Dover, right? Have you heard any news that they just might keep some trains stopping in Ashford? We are talking about July 25,2008 to be exact.

I think I've said all this before, but let's have another go.

The move is not from Ashford to St Pancras. The move is of the London terminal, from Waterloo to St Pancras. Ashford has never been the terminus of the Eurostar trains.

There is a new Eurostar station at Ebbsfleet in Kent, which was originally intended to replace Ashford.

But Ashford is being kept open. The timetable up to 5 July 2008 has three Paris trains a day calling there.

The information is on the Eurostar website - see this PDF file.

This doesn't tell you for certain about 25 July 2008, but you will not know until the next timetable is published. Nevertheless, Ebbsfleet is your alternative station if Ashford is eventually abandoned.

I think I've said all this before, but let's have another go.

The move is not from Ashford to St Pancras. The move is of the London terminal, from Waterloo to St Pancras. Ashford has never been the terminus of the Eurostar trains.

There is a new Eurostar station at Ebbsfleet in Kent, which was originally intended to replace Ashford.

But Ashford is being kept open. The timetable up to 5 July 2008 has three Paris trains a day calling there.

The information is on the Eurostar website - see this PDF file.

This doesn't tell you for certain about 25 July 2008, but you will not know until the next timetable is published. Nevertheless, Ebbsfleet is your alternative station if Ashford is eventually abandoned.[/quote

I appreciate you going over it one more time, in case you have found out something new since last time. Do you know how far Ebbsfleet is from Dover? Would it still be closer than having to go all the way back to London?

Also, if we disembark early from the ship, let's say by 8 am, would the 11 am train from Ashford be realistic?

Thanks again for any details that will help us plan our exciting trip!

Finally I was able to click on one of the links! This one shows that Ashford is indeed close enough to Dover , PLUS it states on there that they will continue to use Ashford to go to Paris!

Even if I can't make the 11 am train, there will be a later one, so it looks like we are in good shape!

Thank you very much.

From what I have read, the earlier I can book, the better the rate might be, but if I have to wait til March, so be it.

Many thanks.

Remember Globaliser said three Paris trains daily.....

You might still have to go to Ebbsfleet to avoid a long wait at Ashford, but you'll not know for certain until the summer 2008 timetable comes out. Anything else is a guess, educated or otherwise.

Matthew

Ashford is only 20 miles = 30 Minutes away from Dover.

Ebbfleet is already London ante portas!!! (55 miles = 1 hour away from Dover).

Yes, Ebbsfleet will certainly be much less convenient for Dover than Ashford is. It looks like the decision to keep some services at Ashford has come from a big (local) row over the distance that those who currently benefit from Ashford services would otherwise have to travel to get to Ebbsfleet.

BTW, if you search for the location "Ebbsfleet", online maps currently present you with a misleading location. To see where Ebbsfleet station is in relation to Dover, try this Google map. You can see the site of Ebbsfleet station just to the east of the end point of the directions.

From what I have read, the earlier I can book, the better the rate might be, but if I have to wait til March, so be it.
I think that bookings for Eurostar are the same as for domestic UK services - bookings are simply not taken until three months before the travel date. So nobody will have got in there ahead of you! As always, it is worth signing up to be emailed about special offers and such like.

Archived