Rental Car -- Ft. Lauderdale

charlielinda

I'm trying to figure out if I should rent a car in Ft. Lauderdale or just take cabs. We'll be arriving on a Wednesday afternoon and our ship leaves on Friday morning. I would plan on cab from airport to Pier 66 (about $15) and cab from Pier 66 back to car rental place (about $15) and another cab ride to go out to dinner in Ft. Lauderdale (probably about $15 or $10 on water taxi). As I type this I'm now thinking that a cab probably is cheaper in the long run because the cheapest rental rate I found was about $70. I'd have to think about hotel parking also. hmmm . . . what would you do?

If I do rent a car which rental car has a shuttle to the pier? I've done it before but can't remember.

Avis provides free "Bus" shuttle service to port and vice versa. The wait for the port to Avis (located at the airport) shuttle was 45 mins. when we did it back in Labor day weekend 2003.

Nearly all car rental companies have shuttles to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale. We have used National and Alamo. The shuttles know when the ships are coming in and keep making trips in and out. I actually got the cheapest rate from ATA's (the airline) website most times, but I do check all the major companies and travel sites as well AARP's discount. Occasionally, a rental company will have a special deal that can't be beat.

Archived