A flight out at 1405 how late can I stay on the ship?

flagger

Ok we are trying to avoid the crunch getting off of the ship. I know there are five ships in Vancouver the day we arrive back. Our flight is not until 1405, but it is not on one of the airlines where we can check in onboard Infinity.

I have read posts from people who have just relaxed and avoiding the mad rush to get off the ship but maybe those were from people either flying much later in the day or driving away from the pier.

Figuring five ships offloading passengers at CP or Ballantyne on that Sunday morning, plus the issues that can be found at YVR airport, what is the latest we could stay on the ship and still make it in time for our afternoon flight (after picking up offloading luggage, catching a cab, etc.)?

While I don't have any information specific to your cruise ship, I doubt very seriously if you could stay very long after your ship starts calling out the luggage tag colors. Keep in mind that they have to completely clean and restock the ship for the departure that afternoon or evening.

If memory serves me correctly, when the ship docked at Honolulu after it's week cruise through the Hawaiian Islands, everyone was off the ship by about 10:00 that morning.

Sorry, no lounging by the pool, etc. They make sure everyone is off the ship, usually by about 10:30-11:00. They are now running security checks, as well as all the cleaning, restocking, etc. which must go on before the next group boards. Can you imagine all the people who would do just as you are proposing instead of leaving the ship, especially if they were in no hurry to get to the airport? It would be a nightmare.

We disembarked last Sunday around 9:40 am, went through immigration, about 30 minutes, waited in line for a cab, about an hour. At least 30 minutes to get to the airport. While we only waited about 30 minutes to check in and go through US customs at the airport, some in our group flying other airlines had a much longer wait, up to an hour and a half. Even if you do have a lengthy wait at the airport, YVR was a very nice airport to wait in. I even noticed a play area for children towards the end of the terminal we were in, (Alaska/Horizon) I don't know if this is available at all the terminals. I will have to say, though, we stayed an extra night and flew out Monday morning.

The day before disembarkation, you will be given colored luggage tags and instructions on where you should wait with your carry ons the next morning. If you would like to disembark later than your specified time, talk to the Guest Relations desk about it, I'm sure it would not be a problem. I thought it was a nice touch that Celebrity does not chase you out of your cabin by 8am the last morning and you could still have room service delivered, if you ordered it the night before.

• 2 weeks later...

Though you might PLAN to sit around and wait, reality will sink in, and you or at least some in your group will decide it is time to get going. Gotta find your bags. Gotta find transportation. Gotta do customs. Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go as the commercial says.

YVR can be very hectic at times.

Theren't a lot of cabs at Canada Place like in Ft Lauderdale or some of the other ports.

Have heard that some people had to wait 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour for a cab while others got their luggage and got a cab within a few minutes.

And some zipped through YVR quickly - others said it was a nightmare.

Be prepared and don't get all huffy if you don't have a stright shot to your plane.

We are sailing next July on the Serenade. There is a 12:20 PM flight out of Vancouver with Northwest that we would like to take. Could those of you who have flown out of Vancouver share with me the earliest you have made flights, and what time you were able to get off of the ship?? There is a 3:30 flight we can take, but it has a connection. My family really hates it when I make them sit in airports for hours. Judy

Just something to consider, that there are 2 cruise ship terminals here. Ballantyne and Canada Place. While CP does take up to 3 or 4 ships at a time, I have only seen seen 1 or 2 at Ballantyne at the same time.

Just didn't want you worried that 5 or 6 ships were unloading at the same time at the same place. If you are docking at Ballantyne, not to worry about the other ships "slowing you down". There likely won't be any others there. CP is equipped to handle multiple ships at one time, so I really wouldn't stress out about it.

Really Ballantyne? I thought for sure it would return to CP.

Did you ever sign up for the cruise critic party. I don't think we ever made our quota, but we do have a roll call going. Click on my signature to see it.

Would love to meet on board. Email me at flagger /at/ dslr.net we can exchange stateroom numbers.

Archived