I know school will be in session but....

cruisesforme

I am leaving next week on the Carnival Victory with my 5 year old ds, he is really looking forward to meeting new kids and after reading some posts here I am a little concerned that there will not be many kids. Has anyone experienced this during a cruise when school is in session, lack of children I mean?

TIA

There will be very few, but not nearly as many if you had cruised during vacations. AND, most parents don't want their kids to miss the first week of school, not even those in kindergarten because a lot of important things happen during the first week. What you'll probably see more of are toddlers and infants.

We have often cruised in September with our son and there has never been a lack of playmates. There are plenty of like minded families looking to save a few bucks and cruise after school has started. We always clear it with the teacher ahead of time and make sure our little son does all his work. I would think if you were doing a long cruise or a really exotic itinerary there might be less kids, but if you are doing the standard Carib or Mex 7 day cruise you will be fine!!

Our family does Sept or Oct cruises almost every year, and sometimes even Nov or Dec. There have been Feb, April and May cruises also...sometimes within the same school year. Always discuss the trip with the teacher, get work or special project. I have only had one issue over the years where a teacher thought I was doing something "wrong". The child was an "A" student and grades did not change post sailing. I do understand that teachers want the students in class but I feel family time is also important and in my work summer vacations are a rare 3 day weekend. There are less children in all age groups during the school calendar sailings but kids are on board, especailly Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships. There are more and more home schooled children and many of those parents sail in the off months. I wish you a great cruise and your children a wonderful time meeting new friends.

I've wondered the same thing...as we will be cruising NEXT Oct with our 2 kiddos and was hoping that there would be at least a handfull of kids in their Camp Carnival Group. In all actuallity, I would rather there only be 200 kids onboard verses 1000.:D

• 3 weeks later...

We cruise/vacation in the off season, due to a few reasons.

My husbands work schedule does not allow for much summer time travel, Cheaper, and Who wouldn't want a break from th eiwnter time blahs in january???

We have had great luck with the children meeting friends at our destination. (wherever that may be) and it's not too many kids. (I am not a child hater, but there are always those parents that let there children torture the rest of the population.:) ) I let the Teachers /school know then I create a fun project like a show and tell of whichever vacation we took. Like a run down of how mexico/Jamaica wherever is different from the U.S. or how they are alike, and then they can present it to the class. So that the teacher sees that it wasn't "just a vacation" it is a education experiance as well. I have never had an issue with the teachers. And the school has excused the absences! Good Luck! No matter how many kids are in the camp, it will be fun, becaus eit is someone new, and it's not you. I know sad but true... But kids always love playing with other kids, instead of "relaxing" with mom and dad!

On Carnival and RCCL you will RARELY have a shortage of children during the school year. The camps are always filled when we cruise and we always cruise while school is in session.

The only cruises where you won't find alot of kids on Carnival are the LONG itineraries or the exotic itineraries.

I had the same question about cruising the first part of January. My grandson goes to a year-round school and is out until the 2nd week of January. We're taking him with us and sure hope there will be other kids. We're in Virginia and didn't know how many areas have year-round schools.

Archived