2009 Grand Australia, New Zealand, and South Pacific

Old As Dirt Mom

The ship will be the Amsterdam, departing September 26, 2009 from Seattle, and September 30, 2009 from Los Angeles. The voyage will terminate in Los Angeles 66 days later.

I have absolutely no idea how I am gonna get this time off ... but September of 2009 I will be done with school. I AM going to do this itinerary ... one way or the other. Now where do I sign up?

Blue skies ...

--rita

We will have to consider this instead of the RT Boston perhaps. Thanks MAM for posting this, I missed it too.

Trishhhhhhhhh ....

Let's plan on it!!!!

I'll be done with school by then!!!!!!!! And now I can feel better about not being able to cruise for the next year and a half. Heck, I'll need the time to save up for this one.

I'll bet I can work something out to get this kind of time off! And the timing works out perfectly ... the cruise doesn't begin until AFTER the summer vacation season.

What a wonderful chance to spend 66 glorious days together ... and this itinerary sounds soooooooo perfect!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am psyched!! I had not read about this, but with two years to plan, it could be do-able. DH would love the no-long-overseas flight.

Thanks MAM for posting. Maybe we will even have a Western Washington contingent on board. And perhaps a whole batch of Cruise Critics...:)

Well, well, two years out and we already have a roll call;) ! How nice:)

If anyone wants to get some general ball park idea of what this cruise will cost:eek: , you can look at the pricing for the 65 day 2008 Grand Asia and Australia itinerary. Start saving those pennies NOW!:)

Karin

Well, well, two years out and we already have a roll call;) ! How nice:)

If anyone wants to get some general ball park idea of what this cruise will cost:eek: , you can look at the pricing for the 65 day 2008 Grand Asia and Australia itinerary. Start saving those pennies NOW!:)

Karin

Pennies Karin???? I need to start putting fives in the penny bottle now :eek:

• 1 month later...

I received a brochure with prices and amentitie descriptions. It is a four page fold out titled "Travel to the four corners of the world. Introducing four 2009 Grand Voyages". My wife an I sent our $100 in to prebook.

Thought you all would like to know info is out.

WOW! Perfect itinierary for us. DW says she wants to do this one even though it is 4 times longer than she cares to be on cruise ship! It beats flying! If we book it, we would likely join the ship in Los Angeles. We are strongly considering this cruise. Hope we can swing it!

Ronvoell and Bill S, thanks for the head up. My travel agent has been speaking with HAL regularly, and as of Friday she was told that the prices/itinerary for this cruise wouldn't be out until later. But now you've received the brochure with the pricing:confused: . Are they still only accepting pre-bookings (the $100 per person deposit)? Thanks for any info, as I haven't seen this brochure yet.

Karin

Karin: the brochure does not mention any pre-booking fee. The cover letter from Stein Kruse states that this is an advance notification. I just checked the HAL website and the cruise is not listed yet. The letter and brochure advises to contact "your Travel Professional or (HAL) World Cruise Reservations . . . . "

I have emailed one of our TAs we work with for a fare quote for embarking at Los Angeles. That way we would not have to fly anywhere (meaning amongst other things, no luggage restrictions)!

The Early Booking Deadline is August 31, 2008!

Stay tuned!

Karin: the brochure does not mention any pre-booking fee. The cover letter from Stein Kruse states that this is an advance notification. I just checked the HAL website and the cruise is not listed yet. The letter and brochure advises to contact "your Travel Professional or (HAL) World Cruise Reservations . . . . "

I have emailed one of our TAs we work with for a fare quote for embarking at Los Angeles. That way we would not have to fly anywhere (meaning amongst other things, no luggage restrictions)!

The Early Booking Deadline is August 31, 2008!

Stay tuned!

Thanks very much, Bill; I'm glad to know the brochure is an advance notification. Hopefully, I'll receive my own copy in the mail soon. My husband and I have already put down the $100 per person deposit more than a month ago in order to hold a spot. Before you posted, I was feeling a little panic-stricken there for a moment, envisioning cabins already open for booking and disappearing from the inventory, and from there it was only a short step in my imagination to picture myself sobbing at the dock as the ship pulled out without us!:eek: :rolleyes: . Sounds like we still have a little time at our disposal:). My husband and I are interested in this cruise as it leaves from our home town of Seattle. A little flying at the end for us, but not too bad. Hope we'll all be onboard together!:)

Thanks again for your response!

Karin

I emailed our TA on Monday night. His reply yesterday was that HAL still has not released the fees yet!

So, today we put the $100/pp holding deposits down! We are going for an HH guarantee. Need to start saving for this puppy!

We have sailed on the Amsterdam twice before and she is one of our most favorite HAL ships.

• 2 weeks later...
Holland has posted the pricing for this cruise (and all the Grand Voyage cruises for 2009) on their web site.

Thank you very much, hallpau; I guess I'll be talking with my TA on Monday:D . Yikes, and squirreling away even more money!:eek:

Will you be onboard?

Karin

We put the $100 deposit down a couple of months ago....I'm with you about starting to save, but this sounds like a trip of a life time. I've always wanted to go to Australia/New Zealand but my husband hates to fly and refused to be on an airplane for that amount of time.

Hi Karin:

I just realised that I have been to most of those ports already and when the time comes I may be able to help you decide on shore excursions (or not). You are absolutely going to have a wonderful time. Both the Aussies and the Kiwis couldn't be nicer or more helpful - they actually like Americans - and both countries are amazingly beautiful. Hope the dollar starts gaining strength before your cruise (and before mine next year since I'm going to some verrry expensive cities:eek: ).

Anyway, we have time to get into the "things to see and do". Would you believe that my brother and sister-in-law live in Brisbane and that's one of the places I haven't been? They always drive down to Sydney to meet me there:D. I haven't been to Apia yet, but should be there next year, so I'll be sure to scope it out for you.

Valerie:)

We put the $100 deposit down a couple of months ago....I'm with you about starting to save, but this sounds like a trip of a life time. I've always wanted to go to Australia/New Zealand but my husband hates to fly and refused to be on an airplane for that amount of time.

Yes, the lack of flying is what makes this itinerary a winner in our book.:) I guess we'll need to be starting a roll call pretty soon, eh?:)

Hi Karin:

I just realised that I have been to most of those ports already and when the time comes I may be able to help you decide on shore excursions (or not). You are absolutely going to have a wonderful time. Both the Aussies and the Kiwis couldn't be nicer or more helpful - they actually like Americans - and both countries are amazingly beautiful. Hope the dollar starts gaining strength before your cruise (and before mine next year since I'm going to some verrry expensive cities:eek: ).

Anyway, we have time to get into the "things to see and do". Would you believe that my brother and sister-in-law live in Brisbane and that's one of the places I haven't been? They always drive down to Sydney to meet me there:D. I haven't been to Apia yet, but should be there next year, so I'll be sure to scope it out for you.

Valerie:)

Blessings on you, dear Valerie of San Diego; I welcome any and all suggestions.:) I truly hope that Kakalina can be tempted to come along, too!

Karin and all my HAL friends,

I cannot believe that you are going to make the long journey down to visit us in 2009. It is a fantastic itinerary and I wish it was in reverse so that we wouldn't need to make that boring flight over the Pacific.

I am very tempted to think about doing half of the cruise - either from Seattle or from Sydney. I believe the same as Dave, that the cruise will be opened up so that there will be two segments.

I am wondering what sort of price they are asking. I will have to look on HAL's website when I have a moment.

I am so glad that the ship will be calling into our beautiful city of Melbourne as well as Hobart, plus of course Sydney. You will be visiting three completely different ports and I hope you enjoy all of them whilst here.

If I can help any of you with ideas for tours in the 3 cities then just ask away.

Jennie

Holland has posted the pricing for this cruise (and all the Grand Voyage cruises for 2009) on their web site.

Can you send me a link. I cannot find it on HAL's website, though my TA did call me on Friday stating that she had pricing from HAL.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, the lack of flying is what makes this itinerary a winner in our book.:) I guess we'll need to be starting a roll call pretty soon, eh?:)

If I am ever to see Australia and New Zealand, it will have to be while on a cruise. It will have to be on a round-trip type cruise because I simply am physically unable to fly for that many hours due to clotting problems in my legs.

That's why this particular cruise is so attractive to me. It's a great way to see that part of the world, with a very easy domestic flight (which can be broken up if I don't care to fly coast-to-coast in one trip).

Yes, let's get a roll call started soon. Think we can have a very lively and friendly group by the time this cruise actually leaves the dock.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, let's get a roll call started soon. Think we can have a very lively and friendly group by the time this cruise actually leaves the dock.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sure hope you can make this one, Rita! If you go to HAL's website and click on "find cruises", then "Grand Voyages", the itinerary/pricing should be there under Amsterdam, September 09.

Tell you what, first person on this board to make a booking for this cruise starts the roll call!;)

Jennie (Aussie Gal), thank you; I'll be eagerly "picking your brains" before our departure. Hope you can join us for at least one segment. :)

Karin

Archived