southbound cruise -which side?

laurachr

just what glacier to be viewed and if you are viewing from your balcony. otherwise. glacier bay national park the viewing is closer and more on the port side, park rangers will point out and talk about what's on the port side. starboard doesn't miss out all together, the ship does turn when stopped at the glacier. port side is better, top deck viewing is best.

It's not just Glacier Bay, but also College Fjords. IF you only want viewing FROM your balcony, you need a port side if these are on your itinerary. IF you are sailing Hubbard, you best need to consider getting out on deck as the best views are forward.

Otherwise, it really doesn't matter much. You will have views part of your trip. And routes can vary greatly depending on the cpt. and conditions.

I was starboard on a southbound and it was great. The port side is the smoking side on Princess. I spent most of my time on deck at Glacier Bay but I could have seen it from my balcony. I viewed College Fjord from my balcony and I could see it just fine.

if you look at my photo (see link below) you can see how close the ship is to shore and how the port side can see the glacier as the ship approachs. all ships have to enter the inlet the same way and go out the same. they will turn the ship for the starboard side, but port gets 1st views. on my port balcony, i could see the glacier for a full 10 mins or more before the ship got there. starboard could not...they had good views and the ship did turn to give them a view of the glacier. but the quiet, stillness of the ship approaching, only viewed from forward cabins, port side balconies or the best place..top open deck.

also, the park rangers will point out views...always on the port side. as the ship leaves. the starboards gets those views, without park ranger's comments.

I was starboard on a southbound and it was great. The port side is the smoking side on Princess. I spent most of my time on deck at Glacier Bay but I could have seen it from my balcony. I viewed College Fjord from my balcony and I could see it just fine.

Sorry, but all the glaciers are on the port side of Glacier Bay on the way in, when all the commentary is. There are NO glaciers on the starboard side. On the way out, they don't stop and just sail by. Most people like the time spent at the glaciers for the viewing and calving. Same with College Fjords, all the initial glaciers are all on the port side, there are only a couple on the starboard side.

You can always try an aft facing balcony...We had one and it was great for Glacier viewing...also you can watch the wildlife longs from the comfort of your cabin..We watched some humpbacks for about 15 mins after the ship passed them..

We had a port side corner aft for our southbound sailing...Or next cruise we have a starboard corner aft cabin of our round trip out of Vancouver.

Archived