Is Jamaica That Bad????

coder

A friend just returned from Jamaica and had a rotten time due to all the drug traffic. Is it that bad??? We are looking at taking the Century in April 05 and that is one of the ports. Is Margaritaville that bad also??

Barb

This has been a hotly debated subject on these boards for years. We had a lovely time in Jamaica however...We had no one offer us drugs, nor were we bothered by anyone. We took a tour with a local (Ionie and Lewis McBeam), and would do the same thing next time we were in Jamaica. I personally wouldn't wander around by myself in Jamaica, but neither would I wander around any country I'm not familiar with. As for Margaritaville, it's just like any other Margaritaville that I've been to. The Island Village complex is located right next to the pier in Ocho, and from what I remember, it is mainly for cruise ship passengers.

If you are at all apprehensive about taking a tour, hang out a Margaritaville/Island Village during your stay. It's really a cool place. I have to admit that I was also a bit concerned about getting out and exploring the island, but we had such a wonderful time with Lewis...I am really happy we didn't spend the whole day at Margaritaville!

Peat Taylor is another recommended tour guide (oneiltay@cwjamaica.com)

We will be using him in January. My wife and I spent a week at Couples Ocho Rios which is an all-inclusive resort in January 2003. I was not approached once to purchase any drugs although you knew where to go if you wanted it. The poverty is amazing there, but as stated above do not stray away and you will be fine. The local tour guides will "protect" you from the onslaught of vendors and take you to the places that are best. (if you ask nicely he may include the Red Stripe :D )

We had a great time, but it was an adventure. We are returning to Ocho Rios on the Enchantment this January and looking forward to it.

http://peattaylor.com/

Another option for the Montego Bay area would be going to Sunset Beach Resort and doing their all inclusive.:D It is only $20 ( I guess they want to attract those cruise $$$ ) and includes sodas, alcohol, food, watersports, 3 pools to choose from, and 3 private beaches to choose from. It is very close to where the ship docks and can be seen from the ship when you dock into port. There are a lot of rave reviews of it here on the boards. It is only a short cab ride away and vendors are not allowed on the premises. So you won't be bothered by pushy vendors or drug dealers. Plus, they also have towels provided so you don't have to bring your beach towels from the ship. They also have gift shops, clean restrooms, and all of the other amenities you would see at a nice resort.:)

You didn't say which port you will be going to, Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. The Margaritaville in Montego Bay has gotten a lot of complaints here on the boards lately. It is not on a beach, it's small, and people complain about the food and drinks. So if you heard bad reviews of Margaritaville, it was probably for this one. But the Margaritaville in Ocho Rios gets rave reviews here at CC. It is on the beach, has lots of watertoys, is quite large, and people seem to like the food and drinks there. So when someone raves or complains about the Margaritaville in Jamaica, be sure to ask them which one.;)

If it were me, I would either take a tour with a good, highly recommended tour company like A-Z Jamaica Planners, Ionie & Lewis McBeam, or Peat Taylor Tours. Or if I was looking for a cheap all inclusive with lots of beach time, I would do the Sunset Beach Resort. But, if you wanted to do a little partying and drinking along with your beach/pool experience, I would go to the Margaritaville in Ocho Rios. It's all according to what you are interested in doing. As long as you have a plan you'll be okay.:) Sunset and Margaritaville won't have pushy vendors or drug dealers. The tour operators will watch out for you and keep you away from pushy vendors and drug dealers. As long as you stay with your tour operator or go to a safe place you'll be okay.

And even if you do come across a pusy vendor or drug dealer, don't let it upset you. These people are very, very, poor and are just looking to make a buck or two. And if you just say "no" in a very forceful manner and walk away, they won't bother you. I have heard a few CCers complain about being offered drugs but none of them said it was forced on them. In fact they all said as soon as they said "no" the drug dealer left. It was the same way with the vendors. Just say "no" and they'll leave you alone. There are just a lot of very poor people in this country. And they see these "rich American's" and hope to sell them something. When I go, I will expect a little aggressive selling techniques from the local's when I shop. I will even expect a drug offer. But I won't let it ruin my vacation. I will try to understand how poor these people are and put myself in their shoes. I don't think safety is the issue here or the cruise lines wouldn't go there for fear of lawsuits or repercussions. People just get a little irritated by pushy salesmen. As for me, I won't let it get to me.:)

Okie Clan, even though you can see the resort from the ship, it is still quite a long walk. So most people recommend taking the short cab ride there. The price for the general public is $45 but if you show them your cruise I.D. they only charge you $20 (full day) for adults and $10 (full day) for kids. I called them myself to make sure. They do keep your cruise I.D. locked up behind the counter while you stay with them. From what I understand, this is a security measure since so many people lose them on the beach and can't get back on the ship without them. I imagine they don't want to be held accountable for it being lost or stolen. So if it's locked up behind the counter the whole time, you and the resort are both on the safe side.:) We will be sailing on the Conquest on October 31, 2004. I will do a review as soon as we get back.

Babylene, I have heard that Doctor's Cave Beach is very pretty. It is not right by the ship, but it is close to everything in town. It does not have any all inclusives though. You might find more info. at www.montego-bay-jamaica.com. It is the official visitor's guide for the Montego Bay area. I have found it very helpful. It has maps and lots of useful links to area attractions.

I have been there around 4 times. Once for a week at Sandals. Both myself and my husband can't seem to step on the ground there without being offered drugs. But all we have had to do is say NO firmly and move on. I wouldn't be carrying any open bag that something could be put in. That could easily happen, just keep an eye on your stuff. Last time we were there we were walking down a street. Some guy comes out of an alley and approached my husband who of course said no. We were later told that what is common is that if you go w/them at the other end of the alley is their brother or cousin the cop and oddly enough the cost to bail you out is whatever you have on you.

Just basic safety rules and common sense in a foreign land and you should have no problems.

Not really sure, although I've heard many posts about this. When we went last year we stayed at Margaritaville the whole time. When we go in March we will be walking a block or so from Margaritaville to Docs Cave Beach and Ive read that sometimes people are confronted in this place, but we plan on doing what everyone else does.. Say "No thank you" and keep walking. I havent read of any posts that I can remember where they were given problems when they just said they werent interested.. they pretty much just walk on to someone else.

We have done Docs and then walked to Margaritaville a few times - only approached once and a "no thank you was all it took. Docs is very nive but they do have an admission fee and they charge for eveything - umbrellas, chairs, snorkle gear, etc.... It can get expensive for the day by the time you go to Margaritaville and buy some food and drink. That is why we have decided to try Sunset Beach Resort this next time.

If you've never been to Margaritaville it is something to experience. As someone mentioned they don't have a beach. The have a retaining wall and the water is deep. The slide is Fast and I found one ride was enough for me.

Can't wait to hit the beach and drink me some tropical drinks.

We had a wonderful day by using Barrett Adentures I believe the web address is barrettadventures.com-if not use a search and she will come up. We were taken up into the mountains to a smaller series of falls (YS falls I think)with rope swings and a tube ride. On the way back we stopped for Jerk Chicken and just had a great dau and ALWAYS FELT SAFE! I had considered staying on the ship at this port and now I am glad I did'nt.

• 4 weeks later...

Carolyn Barrett will show you the real Jamaica! She is an American living in Jamaica and she is wonderful! We've used her twice and friends and family have used her as well! We would never do Jamaica with out Carolyn or Erol Barrett!

Archived