Meditteranean - Time of year

I am starting to do my research on Meditteranean cruises for either mid-late 2009 or 2010. It appears that the time to cruise the Med is June-September, true? Is that the best time?

Also, I have a desire to see Pompeii and I know that this is done out of Naples but that Naples has not much else other than this? I have no idea and am just trying to learn. I am open to NOT stopping here if there is another port that is more interesting.

I would also like to have Athens included to see the ruins...and Rome.

Any advice? THANKS A BUNCH!

Our first cruise to the Mediterranean was in August and it was extremely hot and humid, plus many things were closed because Europeans go on holiday that time of year. Med cruises are very port intensive and you'll do lots of walking. Our ship was crowded with kids and it was a bit hard to get a lounge poolside, plus being very noisy. (Don't get me wrong, I love kids.) We have decided to take our next cruise to Europe in early June due to the weather and kids are still in school for the most part. If it weren't for our business concerns we would rather go in May or October.

Also, I have a desire to see Pompeii and I know that this is done out of Naples but that Naples has not much else other than this? I have no idea and am just trying to learn. I am open to NOT stopping here if there is another port that is more interesting.

Wow--Just south of Naples is the beautiful Amalfi Coast. Positano, Sorrento and Amalfi. Also the island of Capri is off that coastline. These are very MUST see areas if you are sailing down the this coastline of Italy. :)

We leave the end of this month for our cruise--and the day we dock in Naples is one of my most anticipated days ahead!! :D

You have lots of time to do research--and I am sure you will read a lot about this stunning coastline. :)

I am starting to do my research on Meditteranean cruises for either mid-late 2009 or 2010. It appears that the time to cruise the Med is June-September, true? Is that the best time?

Yes, Mediterranean cruises usually run through the summer...but you will find some ships a little earlier or a little later...If you are looking for near-perfect weather, I'd say go in May/June...also, the demand is a little less so the price may be a little less than you'll find later in the Summer...Prices generally dip back down a little after Labor Day...

Yes, August is the hottest month...but I've cruised it in August--actually, August 2003--the hottest month on record in Europe...and really, it wasn't all that bad...You just learn to pack and dress properly, carry water, sunscreen and a hat...I see you live in Texas...The weather will actually be nicer in the Mediterranean in August than it is in Texas, so what's to worry?

As far as Naples/Pompei goes, yes there are other things to do out of Naples--Capri, the Amalfi Coast, etc. But none of them are as amazing as Pompei...so, if you are really into Archaeology and History, don't get too carried away debating Amalfi or Capri vs. Pompei...You can always go back another time...Pompei is definitely it...There is no other set of archaeological ruins quite like it. The site is immense...and the city wasn't destroyed, it was merely buried in ash--virtually intact...

If archaeology is your thing (we happen to love it as well), check if these ports are on the itineraries you are considering:

Kusadasi--Gateway to ancient Ephesus...We did a private tour to three ancient sites--Ephesus, Miletus and Didyma--Outstanding...

Santorini--The ruins at Akrotiri are sometimes open, sometimes not...but there's also Ancient Thira on the mountaintop...Santorini is believed by many to be the ancient Atlantis...

Athens--Yes, the Acropolis is a must-see...but also see if you might visit Epidaurus, Corinth and Mycenae...some incredible ancient sites...also may be visited from Katakolon/Olympia...

Livorno--You may not want to miss Florence, especially if it's your first visit...but note there are some Etruscan sites in Tuscany...

Rome--Of course there's the Forum, the Coliseum, the Pantheon...and, of course, so much more...

Mykonos/Delos--Delos is all ancient ruins--unfortunately, when our cruise was scheduled to stop there, high winds canceled the stop...

Have fun...

Hi Bruin Steve - I am going to print out your email...

It isn't necessarily that archeology is my thing - it is just a matter of being somewhere that is so old and historic and think about those who came before us and how they lived. We saw a travel channel special from an RCCL ship and Pompeii was one of the places the host went and I was in awe of those ruins. To be so in tact - but being buried that long would explain it.

There was part of the ruins that had actual people that had been covered with lava and preserved exactly how they died. I cannot remember the name of this shrine...for lack of a better word.

Thanks again!

LisaH,

If you love visiting ruins you might want to consider a cruise that stops in Alexandria, Egypt so you can visit the Cairo Museum, and the pyramids. That was the highlight of our cruise....it was fantastic!!

SoCalGal

When looking for a cruise to consider, you might want to look for one that has an overnight stay in the cities that interest you the most. For instance, we are going on Millennium this November and we have 2 full days in Rome and 1 1/2 in Istanbul. Be sure to note the arrival and departure times.

Pompeii was one of our all-time favorite shore excursions. We chose the one where you hike up to Mt. Vesuvius and then visit the ruins of Pompeii. It was a powerful experience. Rome, Athens, and of course Pompeii are really outdoor museums. We've been to Italy and Greece many times and it never ceases to amaze. We've also found it valuable to choose cruises with sea days mixed in with the port days as the intensity of these experiences is not to be dismissed. For instance, I've noticed some cruise lines include only 1 or 2 sea days in a 12 day cruise. After that, I'd need another vacation!

LisaH,

If you love visiting ruins you might want to consider a cruise that stops in Alexandria, Egypt so you can visit the Cairo Museum, and the pyramids. That was the highlight of our cruise....it was fantastic!!

SoCalGal

Hey SoCalGal - believe me I would love to visit the Pyramids some day but I am a big chicken when it comes to travel into that part of the world...Egypt, Middle East - no desire. I know people do it every day and there is risk in everything but that is one risk I am not willing to take.

But I may change my mind one day.

When looking for a cruise to consider, you might want to look for one that has an overnight stay in the cities that interest you the most. For instance, we are going on Millennium this November and we have 2 full days in Rome and 1 1/2 in Istanbul. Be sure to note the arrival and departure times.

Pompeii was one of our all-time favorite shore excursions. We chose the one where you hike up to Mt. Vesuvius and then visit the ruins of Pompeii. It was a powerful experience. Rome, Athens, and of course Pompeii are really outdoor museums. We've been to Italy and Greece many times and it never ceases to amaze. We've also found it valuable to choose cruises with sea days mixed in with the port days as the intensity of these experiences is not to be dismissed. For instance, I've noticed some cruise lines include only 1 or 2 sea days in a 12 day cruise. After that, I'd need another vacation!

The itin you mention sounds nice. I would like to start in Rome and spend a couple of days there first but we shall see what is available when the time comes to book. I did notice that there is a tremendous price difference depending on month.

Thank you!

You might also think about October. My husband and I did Italy in '98 in May and it was still terribly HOT HOT HOT in Naples and Rome. So much so, we didn't feel like walking to do much sightseeing and when we went into Tourist Info offices, was told there were no local tours, if we hadn't booked with a tour company before arriving, we would just be on our own. And they didn't have the Hop On/Hop Off buses that they do now.

For 2008 Grand Princess is doing a 12-day itinerary very similar to the one Bruin Steve talks about. We leave from Rome to Monte Carlo to Livorno, to Naples, at sea, to Santorini, to Kusadasi, to Mykonos, to Athens, to Olympia, to Corfu and end in Venice.

I'm planning two days pre-cruise in Rome and two days post-cruise in Venice, so will be a 17 day trip. I was astounded at the costs for hotels in Rome and Venice, still researching that part of the trip.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip.

You might also think about October. My husband and I did Italy in '98 in May and it was still terribly HOT HOT HOT in Naples and Rome. So much so, we didn't feel like walking to do much sightseeing and when we went into Tourist Info offices, was told there were no local tours, if we hadn't booked with a tour company before arriving, we would just be on our own. And they didn't have the Hop On/Hop Off buses that they do now.

For 2008 Grand Princess is doing a 12-day itinerary very similar to the one Bruin Steve talks about. We leave from Rome to Monte Carlo to Livorno, to Naples, at sea, to Santorini, to Kusadasi, to Mykonos, to Athens, to Olympia, to Corfu and end in Venice.

I'm planning two days pre-cruise in Rome and two days post-cruise in Venice, so will be a 17 day trip. I was astounded at the costs for hotels in Rome and Venice, still researching that part of the trip.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip.

Thank you - this is great advice and I do think that is the ideal itinerary.

We dislike heat and crowds, so I booked the Oct. 30, 2008 Legend of the Seas going to Italy and Croatia. We wanted to leave on or after Oct. 15, because that's when the mileage requirements for FF seats to Europe go down on American Airlines. We also considered the Oct. 20 Brilliance of the Seas from Barcelona, but my husband specifically wanted to go to Italy, rather than a smattering of cities across the Mediterranean. He rejected Greece and Turkey, so that eliminated quite a few itineraries. I'll have to go there on my own or with a traveling buddy some day. :)

We were on an April 19th cruise from Rome to Turkey & Greek Isles & the weather was absolutely perfect. Couldn't have asked for anything better if we had been special ordering weather. Have also been to Europe late September to mid October & that's a good time to go also. One word of warning...........I've been to Florence on a Sunday & that's not the time to go. The Italians love their museums too, so in addition to the tourists there are also large crowds of locals. The result is that you spend most of your time threading your way through hundreds of other tourists. Should you be in that area on a Sunday I suggest you consider some of the beautiful medieval Tuscan towns.

Archived