Review - Paul Gauguin 8/22/07

Iamboatman

Eric, I enjoyed reading your review both the pros and the cons. Thought it was very fair and balanced. It's kind of hard to let anything negative get to you in French Polynesia as the setting is so wonderful and laid back, isn't it! I have a question about the post cruise stay (gratis) at the Intercontinental. Tell me more about what that included and how you arranged it. Good to know that they are still allowing Ambassador members to use the free certificate at this property too.

Pat

Hi Pat:

Thanks!

It was pretty seamless. I asked if it was OK to use the facilities after the cruise and they said yes.

So I arrived, they put my bags in storage (letting me take them out as needed to change, etc.) and then they give you a key to a transit room which you can use for 45 minutes at a time. (The rooms consist of a large shower, two sinks and a larger changing/sitting area. Toilets are down the short hallway.) You can use any of the pools, bars, etc. just as a guest, but pay for your drinks/meals with a credit card. When you are ready to leave they will order you a taxi.

Eric, thanks for the transit room info at the Intercontinental. What a great second perk to the Ambassador stay. I was expecting to hear that they allowed you to use their pools, loungers etc. but to have a transit room thrown in where you can shower and change is terrific. That's all you really need before heading to the airport.

Pat

We were on this cruise but just got back to real life and the internet on Aug 9. After reading partial of of this thread our comments:

Starting with fresh oysters fron New Zealand with our first dinner we were very satisfied with the food. We took breakfast and lunch at the very nicely set tables in la Veranda. Buffets but smiling waiters offer other choices from a menu. Different lunch buffet theme every day. We noticed the captain eats there every day but always outside.

Pool is not large and wasn't used much but one women did laps for about 30 minutes every day and said it was great.Really nice size for a small ship.

All in all great ship and great staff.

For uncoming cruisers I'm sorry to tell you that Siglo left when we did. They are back later in the year. Certainly by December but I don't know the exact start date.

JM is one of the wine stewards. We ran into him initially in La Veranda. He was very attentive to my wife and I while we were on the ship a couple weeks ago. He always knew our names, and remembered what we liked to drink. He has a fun personality, and if you run into him, I think you'll enjoy your interaction with him.

Archived